Jump to content

Puerto Vallarta stop?


Clampram
 Share

Recommended Posts

Our cruise ship doesn't get in until 11 AM and we are thinking of just walking around the town area. Is that easily accessible from the tender dock or do we cab it somewhere? We would love to have a great Mexican lunch nearby if possible!

 

Thanks

Edited by Clampram
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Puerto Vallarta is not a tender port. You will just walk off the ship and take a taxi to the boarwalk(malecon=mah-leh-cone). You should agree on price before you get into the taxi.

We usually walk outside of the cruise port to the gas station to the right side and get a taxi there as they are less expensive.

I don't know the restaurant  you have posted. It may well be just fine but we prefer to walk along the oceanfront and stop there . You will find tons of restaurants and some have tables in the sand.

It is a great city!! We've been there many times!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should plan on going to the Malecon.   You will dock, not tender in PV.  Your options to town include a taxi from the port, a less expensive taxi from outside the port, Uber, or the adventure of a local bus taken from the parking area of Walmart across the street.  Once on the Malecon you will have plenty of shops, bars, restaurants to occupy your time, as well as statuary along it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

Puerto Vallarta is not a tender port. You will just walk off the ship and take a taxi to the boarwalk(malecon=mah-leh-cone). You should agree on price before you get into the taxi.

We usually walk outside of the cruise port to the gas station to the right side and get a taxi there as they are less expensive.

I don't know the restaurant  you have posted. It may well be just fine but we prefer to walk along the oceanfront and stop there . You will find tons of restaurants and some have tables in the sand.

It is a great city!! We've been there many times!

 

1 hour ago, wheezedr said:

You should plan on going to the Malecon.   You will dock, not tender in PV.  Your options to town include a taxi from the port, a less expensive taxi from outside the port, Uber, or the adventure of a local bus taken from the parking area of Walmart across the street.  Once on the Malecon you will have plenty of shops, bars, restaurants to occupy your time, as well as statuary along it.

 

While I certainly agree with the recommendation of taking a taxi to the Malecon, I'd like to point out that we did have to tender in on one of our three port  calls at Puerto Vallarta.  The cruise terminal has three berths and earlier this year there were four ships in port, with our ship not having priority since it was not a regular caller at that port. So we did have to tender in on that occasion as all the berths were occupied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'd like to point out that we did have to tender in on one of our three port  calls at Puerto Vallarta.  The cruise terminal has three berths and earlier this year there were four ships in port, with our ship not having priority since it was not a regular caller at that port. So we did have to tender in on that occasion as all the berths were occupied.

 

NJ, very interesting.  I have not seen this, but it is good to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are minivans (if that is the right term) that take people from the cruise terminal to the Malecon for $4 pp.  We just pile in.  No haggling, no discussion, just "$4 per person to the Malecon?"  "Yes."  We save the bargaining for the return trip!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, wheezedr said:

You should plan on going to the Malecon.   You will dock, not tender in PV.  Your options to town include a taxi from the port, a less expensive taxi from outside the port, Uber, or the adventure of a local bus taken from the parking area of Walmart across the street.  Once on the Malecon you will have plenty of shops, bars, restaurants to occupy your time, as well as statuary along it.

No reason to cross the busy street over to Walmart to get a bus to town (Centro) and it could actually cause a lot of confusion since there are multiple bus stops in front of Walmart with none of them having buses to town :).  The only place on that Walmart side to catch a bus to town would be along the side street closest to Sams.  If you want to take a local bus to Centro (or the Old Town) you can catch one along the main road in front of the port (on the same side as the port) (where you would see Walmart and Sams across the street).  The fare is now 10 Pesos and most of the drivers no longer take dollars.  More and more buses now have electronic fare boxes into which you insert your Peso coins (no change) or you can drop a bill into a small plastic bin (no change).

 

The closest bus stop depends on which of the 3 piers your ship is docked.  If you are at Pier #1 you would go to the stop right next to the Shell Station.  That also works for pier 2.  Pier #3 is a bit different and the closest bus stop would be to walk out to the main road (you will see the large Liverpool Store (and mall) across the road) and turn to your left where there is a small  covered bus stop.

 

Take any bus that has "Centro" in its front window and avoid the buses that say "Tunel."

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, drjpreston said:

What bus (sign in window) do we look for when we return from down town to Pier?

Signs like hoteles, La Isla, Sams, airport', Marina. Be aware on the sign Walmart, since there are 2 Walmarts, one of them not at the cruise terminal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ine said:

Signs like hoteles, La Isla, Sams, airport', Marina. Be aware on the sign Walmart, since there are 2 Walmarts, one of them not at the cruise terminal. 

Thank you for the help.  My DW and I made it fine into town on the bus the last time LOL.  We failed to figure out how to get back without using a taxi.  Should be common sense I guess but we blame everything on old age. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, drjpreston said:

Thank you for the help.  My DW and I made it fine into town on the bus the last time LOL.  We failed to figure out how to get back without using a taxi.  Should be common sense I guess but we blame everything on old age. 

It is probably easier thern you think. Enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ine said:

It is probably easier thern you think. Enjoy!

Be aware the fare is 10 Pesos per person per ride. No change given. US$ are hardly accepted anymore on the bus..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, Ine said:

In case you arrive on April 10 indeed one ship needs to tender as 4 ships are expected that day.

I only see three. Who else is in port?

 

10-Apr Wed Carnival Splendor 9:00 AM 9:00 PM         3,006 Carnival
10-Apr Wed Eurodam 8:00 AM 11:00 PM         2,104 HAL
10-Apr Wed Royal Princess 7:00 AM 6:00 PM         3,560 Princess
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Snowesha said:

I only see three. Who else is in port?

 

10-Apr Wed Carnival Splendor 9:00 AM 9:00 PM         3,006 Carnival
10-Apr Wed Eurodam 8:00 AM 11:00 PM         2,104 HAL
10-Apr Wed Royal Princess 7:00 AM 6:00 PM         3,560 Princess

According to the arrival list by the port autorithies also the Norwegian Bliss from  till 6.

Of course any change is always possible.

https://www.puertodevallarta.com.mx/calendario-de-arribos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...