Best Room Type for Family with a Toddler

If you can, I would at least get a balcony.  We've cruised twice now with our daughter (4 at the end of June).  Having the extra outdoor space is extremely helpful when nap time is being considered.  It's also helpful for us, as our daughter doesn't do great in the kid's camp and can find crowds a bit intimidating.  Being able to sit outside on the balcony while she takes some breaks in the room is super helpful to my well being on a cruise. 

Despite her distaste for crowds, she has talked non-stop about this last cruise we went on and is counting down until we go on our next.  (PS- her first cruise was around the age of your child's.  It was so much fun)

I wouldn’t pick a cabin based on that criteria; toddler won’t know the difference! For most people the price of the cabin is more important.  Cabins and their bathrooms are very similar in configuration. Look on the RC website for examples. Balcony is nice - you have a place to sit while the child sleeps.  You didn’t mention a suite - if you are able to book a suite you will have more room and perks.  A junior suite does not have full suite privileges, but is larger than a standard cabin. Also a junior suite has a bathtub, not just a shower as in inside, ocean view and balcony rooms.  Also, think about sleeping accommodations; will child sleep on sofa bed, or portacrib. RC does not furnish full-size cribs; only portacrib/pack and play type crib. You might want to check on family board for more information. 

I'd say it doesn't matter what type of room, but I'd opt for one with a sofa bed for LO instead of a pullman. It'll make your life a lot easier.

We started sailing with DS when he was 3 (inside cabins, because they are usually more affordable), and on our first cruise we thankfully had a sofa bed - no fear of him falling off the pullman. When DS napped on our queen size bed, I listened to audiobooks lying next to him. Starting at about 4 he started sleeping through anything - jackhammer noise, dogs barking, full lights on, TV, etc., so we no longer had to be quiet or turn the lights off.

He did fine a year after that in a pullman bed. Loves pullman beds now, and is upset when we get a sofa bed.

P.S. Our kid doesn't do kid's club either, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the type of room we get.

10 minutes ago, jujubird said:

If you can, I would at least get a balcony.  We've cruised twice now with our daughter (4 at the end of June).  Having the extra outdoor space is extremely helpful when nap time is being considered.  It's also helpful for us, as our daughter doesn't do great in the kid's camp and can find crowds a bit intimidating.  Being able to sit outside on the balcony while she takes some breaks in the room is super helpful to my well being on a cruise. 

Despite her distaste for crowds, she has talked non-stop about this last cruise we went on and is counting down until we go on our next.  (PS- her first cruise was around the age of your child's.  It was so much fun)

Thank you! We haven't fully decided if we are going yet, but I am nervous about him being so young. But it is helpful to hear it was so much fun with your daughter! 

7 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I wouldn’t pick a cabin based on that criteria; toddler won’t know the difference! For most people the price of the cabin is more important.  Cabins and their bathrooms are very similar in configuration. Look on the RC website for examples. Balcony is nice - you have a place to sit while the child sleeps.  You didn’t mention a suite - if you are able to book a suite you will have more room and perks.  A junior suite does not have full suite privileges, but is larger than a standard cabin. Also a junior suite has a bathtub, not just a shower as in inside, ocean view and balcony rooms.  Also, think about sleeping accommodations; will child sleep on sofa bed, or portacrib. RC does not furnish full-size cribs; only portacrib/pack and play type crib. You might want to check on family board for more information. 

Thank you! This is good to know

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd say it doesn't matter what type of room, but I'd opt for one with a sofa bed for LO instead of a pullman. It'll make your life a lot easier.

We started sailing with DS when he was 3 (inside cabins, because they are usually more affordable), and on our first cruise we thankfully had a sofa bed - no fear of him falling off the pullman. When DS napped on our queen size bed, I listened to audiobooks lying next to him. Starting at about 4 he started sleeping through anything - jackhammer noise, dogs barking, full lights on, TV, etc., so we no longer had to be quiet or turn the lights off.

He did fine a year after that in a pullman bed. Loves pullman beds now, and is upset when we get a sofa bed.

P.S. Our kid doesn't do kid's club either, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the type of room we get.

Thanks! I was worried that with an interior room we'd risk waking him, but then again I may just nap too, haha!

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I know RC is not known for complying with their own rules, but Pullman beds are supposed to be for children over 6.  OP has a toddler and I wouldn’t want in a Pullman. 

2 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I know RC is not known for complying with their own rules, but Pullman beds are supposed to be for children over 6.  OP has a toddler and I wouldn’t want in a Pullman. 

We purchased that cruise through a TA, and it was our first cruise with a kiddo, so we weren't aware of any rules, etc. We went with whatever room the TA put us in. :) I mean - we didn't know as much about cruising at that time, so we didn't even think about pullman vs. sofa bed for a 3 yo.

The next year we went on Princess, and had a cabin with a pullman bed. I don't remember whether we got it through a TA or not, but DS LOVED the pullman bed. He never fell off of it... He was 4 at that time.

If the ship has them, another option to consider for extra room, a bathtub, and the ability to view the promenade is a Spacious Promenade View Interior.  We have this exact room booked for May 2020 because of the space and getting a tub without paying a suite price premium.

• Thanks 1