Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mkcurran

Fascination in Early December

Recommended Posts

I'm eyeballing the Fascination for the cruise after Thanksgiving week 2020. I can book a porthole for a good price. 

Is this a good time to go?

Hurricane season is over by them right?

Any tips on rooms?

 

Any other thoughts?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, anytime is good. We went last September and stayed the porthole cabin too. Both DH and I love the extra room from the porthole. We put our snorkel gears and swimsuit under a towel to dry. It is a port intensive cruise and we had a wonderful time. We love to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mkcurran said:

I'm eyeballing the Fascination for the cruise after Thanksgiving week 2020.

I can book a porthole for a good price. 

Is this a good time to go? ===? Definitely.

Hurricane season is over by them right? ===> Yes.

.

Best time of year in these islands is November to February

when the daytime temps have lowered to civilized levels

and the worst part of hurricane likelihood is well past us.

 

Stop eyeballing and book it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Stop eyeballing and book it!

 

Still working on the Husband. He gave up the idea of getting a new truck, so really we'll have more than enough money for the cruise.....(Not that we wouldn't anyway...)

We'll probably book after we take our RV road trip this summer, that should give us enough airline miles on the card to cover the flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

He gave up the idea of getting a new truck, so really we'll have more than enough money for the cruise.....(Not that we wouldn't anyway...)

Wait just a c🙄tt😮n picking minute Every Man needs a new truck 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Wait just a c🙄tt😮n picking minute Every Man needs a new truck 🤣

That's what I thought...but he'd rather fix the old beast. Which means I get a break on payments right up until we buy a jeep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what airport you are flying out of OP from Yuma, but be on the lookout 6-7 months before your trip when Southwest opens their schedule.  I booked St Louis to San Juan last month just as SWA opened their September schedule.  Paid $305 per person round trip with the  stop-over.  American/Delta was about $125-$150 more with 2+ stop overs.

 

Another thing about flying into/out SJU: check flying in on Saturday (day before cruise) and possibly out on Monday after return.  Fares are usually a lot cheaper (maybe less for 2 people than the extra hotel night) and you get another day to explore Puerto Rico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soonernstlouis said:

Not sure what airport you are flying out of OP from Yuma, but be on the lookout 6-7 months before your trip when Southwest opens their schedule.  I booked St Louis to San Juan last month just as SWA opened their September schedule.  Paid $305 per person round trip with the  stop-over.  American/Delta was about $125-$150 more with 2+ stop overs.

 

Another thing about flying into/out SJU: check flying in on Saturday (day before cruise) and possibly out on Monday after return.  Fares are usually a lot cheaper (maybe less for 2 people than the extra hotel night) and you get another day to explore Puerto Rico.

We'll be flying from Phoenix. The option look like either the red eye on Friday night that arrives Saturday Morning or The Day flight from Southwest on Saturday. And the return flights are horrible except for Southwest, so depending on rates, we'll either fly out Sunday or Monday.

So yes, I'll be stalking the Southwest site until flights open up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now that I'm 99% sure we'll be doing this any recommendations on things to do in port? For the most part we are get off and walk around and explore on our own people. If we can rent a golf cart to get around--even better. We like beaches, but we also like old buildings and interesting architecture. I'll be hitting up the destination boards as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mkcurran said:

- any recommendations on things to do in port?

For the most part

we are get off and walk around and explore on our own people.

 

If we can rent a golf cart to get around--even better. ===> Rent a golf cart??

 

We like beaches, but we also like old buildings and interesting architecture.

I'll be hitting up the destination boards as well.  

.

Some of the islands you're visiting are a bit beyond the golf cart thing...

Think CARs and hiways...

 

"Getting off the ship and exploring"

usually means you get to do the exciting docklands and the port city.

Whooppee! - not.

 

If you haven't been to a destination before,

your best bet is to get a general Island Tour

You'll get to see tons more than you would

while wandering around in the heat by yourself!

 

On your second visit...

armed with info and preferences from your first visit

- that's when you might want to stop and stare, while you wander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

"Getting off the ship and exploring"

usually means you get to do the exciting docklands and the port city.

Whooppee! - not.

Well we aren't against taking a taxi some where to wonder...Just need to know where. I hate big bus tours, love boat tours, and really dislike crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took that cruise early December 2018. Great time was had by all! Doing it again December 2020. Great time of year to go! Highly recommend Cosol Tours in St. Lucia and the Boatyard in Barbados.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Well we aren't against taking a taxi some where to wonder...Just need to know where. I hate big bus tours, love boat tours, and really dislike crowds.

.

In Barbados, get a taxi and tell him

you want to go over to the East Coast / Bathsheba region.

 

Just getting there and back, I'm sure he'll show you all sorts of things

on the way there -and on the way back.

.

BathshebaRox-025.jpg

BigBoulders-023.jpg

Bathsheba-021.jpg

Bathsheba-037.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 9:06 AM, BoDidly said:

Wait just a c🙄tt😮n picking minute Every Man needs a new truck 🤣

 

You'll be happy to know he got his new truck. Now I have to wait a few months to book. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot recommend Calabaza Sailing tour in Barbados highly enough, exceptional service, great food, just all in all a perfect day. Looking to go back just to do it again. Two thumbs up for Cosol in St Lucia as well. Happy Planning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...