Cruise Critic Community
caffeine_demon

Just a few more first timer questions!

Hi Guys, Just got a few more questions:

1 - Is there anything to stop you taking all your luggage on or off ship with you on embarkation/disembarkation?

2 - what channels are on the Tvs?

3 - Can you have room service breakfast, and dining room breakfast? 🐖

Posted (edited)

I can answer Q2 from experience - The channels that I remember are a live location map plus a view forward over the bows; one showing promo films for CMV, some film channels both English and German and other channels which occasionally tap into local TV.  I think as for Q3 you can continental breakfast in your cabin before 8am for no charge but I have no knowledge of anything else connected to this question.  Re Q1 I don't understand why you would want to take all your luggage with you at embarkation.  I had mine taken away on arrival at Tilbury, went through the embarkation process and found them again outside my cabin door when I arrived there.  As for disembarkation you can under certain circumstances take it all with you otherwise it will be waiting for you ashore.

Edited by Beltonian

Question 3 - if you mean ‘can I have two breakfasts?’,  the answer is yes.

Question 1 - nobody does take their own luggage on board. I doubt it would fit through the scanning machine at security, unless you only have hand luggage. There is usually an option to take off your own luggage if you want to get off very early.

All I can say is that there were a couple of tables of only 2 people on my trip.  Have a word with the maitre d' before dinner and see what he can do for you.  I am sure he will be accommodating if he can.  It may depend on what sitting you want, how busy the ship is and what other passengers' requirements are.  Good luck!

Thanks for the reply & your response rules out this line for us.

At times when we want to sit alone, we want to sit alone.

Well, you can do this at every meal if you choose to eat in the buffet - same food as the MDR.

Buffet 3x/day for an extended period would be torture. All other lines we've cruised with accommodated us, & others. whenever a table for 2 was requested.

Always wanted to try this line because of the ship size/itineraries but this is a deal breaker for us unfortunately.

Not sure how it could be described as "torture".  Many couples I met were very happy to eat in the buffet especially as the service in the MDR was often slow.  Still, as they say, each to his own.  Shame, though, as you would miss a great experience if you decided not to go with CMV.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, glutenhab said:

Buffet 3x/day for an extended period would be torture. All other lines we've cruised with accommodated us, & others. whenever a table for 2 was requested.

Always wanted to try this line because of the ship size/itineraries but this is a deal breaker for us unfortunately.

I'm not sure what ship you are thinking of sailing on, but from what I've seen of the MDR's on the CMV fleet, tables for 2 are like hen's teeth - very few and far between!

Our preference is a table for 2.  We go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch, so it's only dinner that we have to think about sharing.  We are on Columbus in a couple of weeks time and have requested a table for 6. I find a table for 8 a bit big, and on a table for 4 there's the chance that you might not get on with the other couple, so a table for 6 is a good compromise.  On Columbus where are two alternative dining options (for an additional fee), which we will try and will probably go to the buffet for a couple of nights.  Therefore, out of the 10 night cruise, we'll be in the dining room for  about 6 nights. For a couple of hours on those nights, I'm sure it'll be fine sitting with other people. Weighing up the pros and cons, it's an acceptable 'price' to pay, as we like the CMV itineraries and enjoy the medium sized ships 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
correction

Thanks very much for the honest opinion.

We usually book longer cruises (24 days & up), so the privacy when we want it is important to us.

Unfortunate, because the ship size & itineraries really suit us.

Sincerely hope that which line you choose or wherever you go you both have a great holiday.

On short cruises with CMV I have been asked at the port if I would like to take my own suitcase on the ship. My friends usually say yes but I let the porters deliver my suitcase.  It must depend if it can fit through the hand luggage scanners at the terminal. Though with CMV I am often not picked for scanning at embarkation. 

I alway carry my own my own suitcases off the ship. On my CMV cruises there has been a lounge to leave hand luggage (you intend to take off yourself) in on the ship on the final morning. I drop my suitcase in the lounge, have breakfast, collect my suitcase and leave at my own convenience. No security is provided in this lounge so I do not leave valuables. Most people let the porters take their suitcases off the ship but they have to have them ready for collection the night before and wait for them to be unloaded. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, glutenhab said:

You don't have to eat in the buffet 3x a day, you can eat in the MDR when you are not feeling anti-social, but when you do want to sit on your own then eat in the buffet.