How are the Swans doing, 2019

We only saw a few minutes of the Freo v Swans game, as watching the Lions v North game and the semi final of the netball world championships. The Freo v Swans game seemed  a dour struggle by the scores. It's not easy to win in WA. 

And on a happy note for me, the Bombers had a big, come from behind win over Adelaide over there, winning by 21 pts after being down by 30 just before half time.

Leigh

On 7/20/2019 at 6:56 AM, Docker123 said:

Final, Freo by 1 point

82A56959-70E7-42FA-930B-2B8A49C19923.thumb.png.4d139041c63a242a7dbd9e1e4fec6dcd.png

Oh no, the Swans lose again. Is there a record for most close losses by an AFL team? Surely we hold it???

On a completely separate note, has anyone ever left on vacation while roofer (with hot torches) are still repairing the roof?? We are about to do this and I am assuming we will be homeless in 10 days! (Old roof, hot weather, tar, heating torches). What could go wrong????

Go Swans!

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

Oh no, the Swans lose again. Is there a record for most close losses by an AFL team? Surely we hold it???

On a completely separate note, has anyone ever left on vacation while roofer (with hot torches) are still repairing the roof?? We are about to do this and I am assuming we will be homeless in 10 days! (Old roof, hot weather, tar, heating torches). What could go wrong????

Go Swans!

I don’t think I have ever seen that type of roofing in Australia. I was rather bemuse by it when I went to the US.

Flat roofs are not that common here. Usually they are pitched and clad in corrugated iron or concrete tiles.

That being said, I cannot vouch for what peculiarities they may have in NSW.

7 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I don’t think I have ever seen that type of roofing in Australia. I was rather bemuse by it when I went to the US.

Flat roofs are not that common here. Usually they are pitched and clad in corrugated iron or concrete tiles.

That being said, I cannot vouch for what peculiarities they may have in NSW.

I have never seen it NSW either having been involved in house renovating and building site cleanups. Corrugated iron is making a huge comeback, concrete tiles still common, terracotta tiles, I think, are obsolete, cliplock iron is sometimes used usually on flat rooves. There are still some slate and wood shingles about  but these would be on old heritage buildings.

I have seen a few tar paper roofs on commercial buildings, but absolutely no idea about fixing them.

I love the sound of rain on a corrogated iron roof, but when we built this house colourbond was thousands more than tiles, I believe it has turned around again and you can do iron for the same $$$ or less than tiles. Maybe I will get to build one more time.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Then there's the corrugated compressed fibre cement  AKA asbestos. Slowly being eradicated

Dear old asbestos was used everywhere as a kid the whole house was clad in fibro, (inside and out) the school ceiling was sprayed on fibro, dad carted fibro and asbestos, then they renovated the house the builders just smashed the fibro, we were living there at the time of the Reno’s.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Dear old asbestos was used everywhere as a kid the whole house was clad in fibro, (inside and out) the school ceiling was sprayed on fibro, dad carted fibro and asbestos, then they renovated the house the builders just smashed the fibro, we were living there at the time of the Reno’s.

I renovated a house at Belmont North that had a delapidated double garage that had been converted to a granny flat. Fibro walls and roof. The roof had been built using corrugated fibro from the old Newcatle State dockyard. I had to use all the safety precautions stripping it all off and transporting it to the tip. Replaced roof with colorbond and walls with Hardiplank

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Go Swans!

That is what insurance is for I suppose. I have seen the bitumen / tar roofing but only on commercial buildings, not that popular here due to the weather being hotter rather than colder. Here they tend to do rubber sheeting which is then sealed on the edges.

37 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have never seen it NSW either having been involved in house renovating and building site cleanups. Corrugated iron is making a huge comeback, concrete tiles still common, terracotta tiles, I think, are obsolete, cliplock iron is sometimes used usually on flat rooves. There are still some slate and wood shingles about  but these would be on old heritage buildings.

Not corrugated iron but colour bond which is steel that has been coloured via electroplating. It also comes in Zincalum.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Not corrugated iron but colour bond which is steel that has been coloured via electroplating. It also comes in Zincalum.

Yes, coloured corrugated iron by whatever commercial name it goes by.

Update on our roofing issues--they won't finish today, possibly tomorrow. They do seem to be making progress, lots of tromping and stomping on the roof! They will do 2 layers--one is the tar roll (Or whatever it is really called). They lay our the roll, it overlaps with the next one and they they use a hot torch to seal them together. Second layer is a whitish pebble-embedded layer, a little like asphalt, on top. The white layer is supposed to reflect the sun and keep the house cooler. The whole roof is a lot lighter than the old tar and gravel roof we have always had. 

I just hope it lasts--I want this to be the last roof we ever do. Same warranty on either type, so it seemed OK to try. It does get bloody hot here in the desert southwest of the US. Last week our temps were about 37 C all week. Supposed to be slightly cooler this week. And our rainy season is about to start, so it's a race between roofers and weather :classic_biggrin: Plus we are at a high altitude (a mile, 1.6 km), so we gets lots of UV as well. And we get mostly sun all year (about 9 inches of rain a year, not quite 23 cm), so the roof takes a beating.

I will attach pix of front and back of our house (yes, the deck was very cluttered that day--we were putting the garden in)!

Garcia house front.JPG

Garcia house back1.JPG

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Update on our roofing issues--they won't finish today, possibly tomorrow. They do seem to be making progress, lots of tromping and stomping on the roof! They will do 2 layers--one is the tar roll (Or whatever it is really called). They lay our the roll, it overlaps with the next one and they they use a hot torch to seal them together. Second layer is a whitish pebble-embedded layer, a little like asphalt, on top. The white layer is supposed to reflect the sun and keep the house cooler. The whole roof is a lot lighter than the old tar and gravel roof we have always had. 

I just hope it lasts--I want this to be the last roof we ever do. Same warranty on either type, so it seemed OK to try. It does get bloody hot here in the desert southwest of the US. Last week our temps were about 37 C all week. Supposed to be slightly cooler this week. And our rainy season is about to start, so it's a race between roofers and weather :classic_biggrin: Plus we are at a high altitude (a mile, 1.6 km), so we gets lots of UV as well. And we get mostly sun all year (about 9 inches of rain a year, not quite 23 cm), so the roof takes a beating.

I will attach pix of front and back of our house (yes, the deck was very cluttered that day--we were putting the garden in)!

Garcia house front.JPG

Garcia house back1.JPG

Good luck with it, you were here in Autumn if memory serves, but you’d recognise those temps if you visited in Summer.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Good luck with it, you were here in Autumn if memory serves, but you’d recognise those temps if you visited in Summer.

Yep, we visited in March/April. And we spent most of our Australia time in Queensland, where it was blazing hot and humid. At least we get a dry heat. That's a local joke, and it's true but it is still pretty dam hot!

57 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Yep, we visited in March/April. And we spent most of our Australia time in Queensland, where it was blazing hot and humid. At least we get a dry heat. That's a local joke, and it's true but it is still pretty dam hot!

Like where you get the T-shirts with a skeleton and the saying, 'at least it is a dry heat'.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Like where you get the T-shirts with a skeleton and the saying, 'at least it is a dry heat'.

Yep, thems the ones!!

We have a major advantage over some places. because of the altitude, our temps drop 30 degrees at night, so we get some relief. Unlike Phoenix and Las Vegas.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I think the only time I have been to Albuquerque is going through the airport on my way to Las Vegas.

That is the one described by locals as the REAL Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Drove up an back via Santa Fe. 

Yes, that is true :classic_biggrin: Still hot up there but further north helps a little.

Sante Fe--did you stop at the Opera for a tour?  You drove right past it. It is world famous!