Cruise Critic Community
frankc98376

Nieuw Statendam engine problems?

Posted (edited)

Saw a post on Facebook HAL fans group from person on NS reporting that there are engine problems and they are skipping HMC and heading back to PE.  Only report I've seen- will be interesting to see when she gets into PE

Edited by frankc98376

We are on this cruise currently. Captain said as of now we will be getting into Ft. Lauderdale on time. Running on just 2 engines, but all ship services are working as far as I know. Blackout was around 6:15am. Wondering if we should be getting any kind of credit for missing HMC due to mechanical issues?

7 minutes ago, hblowe said:

Wondering if we should be getting any kind of credit for missing HMC due to mechanical issues?

You should receive a refund of port fees.

Hope there are no engine problems when we're out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on the April 21 TA!

2 minutes ago, killsport said:

Any idea what this means for the next departure (on March 24th)?

Hard to predict without knowing the exact nature of the problem. 

5 minutes ago, killsport said:

Any idea what this means for the next departure (on March 24th)?

I would assume the next cruise wouldn’t leave until they have the issues resolved. I’ll post later if the captain gives us anymore updates. 

Thanks. I’m on the next sailing. I hope everything is resolved .

1 hour ago, silvercruiser said:

Hope there are no engine problems when we're out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on the April 21 TA!

Anything can happen with this captain....

Wow! Viking Sky is only 3 years old! In fact, today is her birthday (I checked).  Can't imagine how ALL powerplants failed.  And she doesn't carry 1300 pax, although I don't doubt that there are at least 1300 "souls on board" --as we pilots say 😉.  Bummer!  Hope evacuation proceeds safely or she recovers some power.

21 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Wow! Viking Sky is only 3 years old! In fact, today is her birthday (I checked).  Can't imagine how ALL powerplants failed.  And she doesn't carry 1300 pax, although I don't doubt that there are at least 1300 "souls on board" --as we pilots say 😉.  Bummer!  Hope evacuation proceeds safely or she recovers some power.

Built in 2017

Carries about 930 passengers and 602 crew.

Nieuw Statendam is currently making 13.1 knots and is still scheduled to arrive at 0530 in AM.

Curious if the NS was bunkered at the last port? Just speculating but wonder if it's a contaminated fuel issue.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You should receive a refund of port fees.

What port charges would there be, Hal(Carnival) owes HMC?

She is a fine ship.  Sorry to hear of her problems.  Hope issues can be resolved at PE in the morning!

9 minutes ago, boards said:

Bahamas 

Oh no! Please keep us posted everyone! We're supposed to be getting on board the NS next week! I'm so sorry for those of you that had to miss HMC!

19 minutes ago, boards said:

My understanding is that ships stopping at HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and many other facilities owned by Carnival and other cruise companies must still pay local port fees.

Captains noon update said we will still be to Ft. Lauderdale on time. Working on getting the fourth engine going. Still running some tests. All ship services up and running. Captain apologized many times for missing the port, but said safety first. Just seems like a normal sea day on board. Guest Services said we will be reimbursed port taxes and fees. 

38 minutes ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

Oh no! Please keep us posted everyone! We're supposed to be getting on board the NS next week! I'm so sorry for those of you that had to miss HMC!

We are getting on the ship next week too.  Following this very closely.  The folks getting onboard tomorrow have more reason to be concerned.

19 minutes ago, hblowe said:

Captains noon update said we will still be to Ft. Lauderdale on time. Working on getting the fourth engine going. Still running some tests. All ship services up and running. Captain apologized many times for missing the port, but said safety first. Just seems like a normal sea day on board. Guest Services said we will be reimbursed port taxes and fees. 

It seems like HAL should be offering more than port charge and tax reimbursement.  Weather-related issues are completely beyond their control, but mechanical issues should have them bearing accountability -- a couple hundred dollars in shipboard credit (or a refund equal to that amount since you're so late in the cruise) doesn't seem unreasonable.