Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
noyes66

Dog living on Anthem and peeing everywhere ...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

Wholeheartedly yes!!  Agree.   Professionally trained service dogs, that are in service for the true medical issues of their master...only..period.   Not an excuse to take fifi and foofoo along (as fake service animals).. those people need to stay home with them, or get a sitter when they cruise...like the rest of us with pet children do.    

Many service dogs are not professionally trained, some even take on the roll with no training at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Many service dogs are not professionally trained, some even take on the roll with no training at all.

 

That is not accurate in terms of the law for most places in the US and many other countries - there has to be an animal trained specifically to detect a medical problem or to provide other assistance for very specific and “medically necessary” reasons.

 

I love dogs, but they cannot spontaneously learn those skills. The kind of dog you seem to mean is those whose owners claim they are needed for their emotional well-being, but that is not a designation that equals an assistance animal nor do those owners/dogs in the former category have the same privileges. The entire point is that true assistance animals are allowed in places where they would normally be banned, so there is (and should be) a high standard for the designation. I love my furkids, but they are not medically necessary and I don’t get to lie about that so they can join me at my local diner.

Edited by 2Beeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's only because it isn't an Emotional Support dead horse. Find one wearing an ESA bridle and saddle. 

Now this made me laugh!!

Edited by Jragland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Because it doesn't bother me.

 

Just gurious. Do you remember what caused Royal to stop as allowing ESA's onboard? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Just gurious. Do you remember what caused Royal to stop as allowing ESA's onboard? 

 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Just gurious. Do you remember what caused Royal to stop as allowing ESA's onboard? 

 

Common sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I have no problems with seeing a dog on a cruise. I’ve been on several cruises, seen many dogs, and have never seen any of them peeing on the carpets. 

Not to say that it couldn’t happen, but what I worry about more is seeing small children in the hot tubs. Talk about peeing... No way will I get into one  of those! 

It amazes me that the “no children” rule is not enforced on any of the lines.

By, the way, have taken several cruises where Captain Kate is the captain. She is the best. A very dedicated and involved captain.  Never seen her cat though.

And finally, having grown up in Western New York, I feel the pain of all of you “Super Bowl losers”!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Common sense

I'm not sure someone with your user name has an objective opinion on this specific topic. 😱🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Just gurious. Do you remember what caused Royal to stop as allowing ESA's onboard? 

 

I don't know but It seems after the peacock incident the airlines started to put their foot down so maybe the cruise lines followed their lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I'm not sure someone with your user name has an objective opinion on this specific topic. 😱🤣

 

Now you have me thinking, I wonder if any of these ESAs ever find their way into the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Now you have me thinking, I wonder if any of these ESAs ever find their way into the pool.

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Common sense

 

Definitely wasn't that. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

Hot tubs.........human petri dish

dogs and kids or adults in diapers in hot tubs........yuk

 

or even a lot of the adults without diapers 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

 

That is not accurate in terms of the law for most places in the US and many other countries - there has to be an animal trained specifically to detect a medical problem or to provide other assistance for very specific and “medically necessary” reasons.

 

I love dogs, but they cannot spontaneously learn those skills. The kind of dog you seem to mean is those whose owners claim they are needed for their emotional well-being, but that is not a designation that equals an assistance animal nor do those owners/dogs in the former category have the same privileges. The entire point is that true assistance animals are allowed in places where they would normally be banned, so there is (and should be) a high standard for the designation. I love my furkids, but they are not medically necessary and I don’t get to lie about that so they can join me at my local diner.

The whole world isn’t the USA I can assure you that in Australia for one country, a privately trained service dog is afforded the same status as A professionally trained dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Common sense

Doesn’t exist anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

Hot tubs.........human petri dish

dogs and kids or adults in diapers in hot tubs........yuk

 

Last time I was in a hot tub I ended up in the hospital for 5 days with pyelonephritis.  Never again!  When I feel the need to relax in hot water I take a tub bath😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

The whole world isn’t the USA I can assure you that in Australia for one country, a privately trained service dog is afforded the same status as A professionally trained dog.

 

They never insinuated the whole world is the US.  They were simply stating what the law is in our country.  Geez....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

 

They never insinuated the whole world is the US.  They were simply stating what the law is in our country.  Geez....

 

If you follow back, it started when they said only professionally trained service dogs should be allowed I then pointed out that not all service dogs had to be professionally trained, they said in some US states (note not even all of them) they did, I pointed out that what applied in some US states didn’t apply on every other place and was unworkable on cruise ships, so maybe geez back to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

so maybe geez back to you.

 

I see your ‘geez’ and raise you a ‘fer cryin’ out loud.’

Edited by krewzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If you follow back, it started when they said only professionally trained service dogs should be allowed I then pointed out that not all service dogs had to be professionally trained, they said in some US states (note not even all of them) they did, I pointed out that what applied in some US states didn’t apply on every other place and was unworkable on cruise ships, so maybe geez back to you.

 

If that makes you feel better OK.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

The whole world isn’t the USA I can assure you that in Australia for one country, a privately trained service dog is afforded the same status as A professionally trained dog.

 

Hmmmm... I am quite sure that I did not state, nor suggest, that US law covers the world. In fact I specified that it was the US and many other countries (in fact many federal laws cover disability issues and as such trump any state law - although I did *not* say a thing about states as you said that I did, I wonder if you actually read my post?). Australia’s laws also do not cover the world and you were seemingly states a universal fact so I noted it was not so. Given that I am often responsible for giving the supporting evidence for such service animals, I’m well aware of the laws here. I assume that you are quite well-versed in the laws in Australia. It didn’t seem controversial, but that seems to matter little most of the time.

 

P.S.  I just checked and it turns out that Australian law is very much like US law in this area! Please note that the animal must be specifically trained (as I stated was true in the US) and that such training is required was the entire point of my post (in reaction to your post stating that some animals could somehow train themselves) -

 

An assistance animal is a trained support designed to facilitate the participation of people with disability in accessing various aspects of personal and public life.  They are sometimes mistaken as a pet but provide an essential function for some people with disability.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth) (DDA) in Section 9, sets out the legal definition of an assistance animal as a dog or other animal that:

(a) is accredited under a State or Territory law to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effects of disability; or

(b) is accredited by an animal training organisation prescribed in the regulations; or

(c) is trained to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effect of the disability and meets standards of hygiene and behaviour that are appropriate for an animal in a public place.

 

( I quickly checked the law in several AU states/territories and those laws parallel this national law in requiring that the animal be trained - Countries can’t have their citizens claiming that their pet goat or snake is medically necessary and should join them at the pub).

Edited by 2Beeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...