Carrying on 12 packs of soda

aggieamy55

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

To me, a superior soda is a cold can, and an inferior version is from the well, watered down with ice. 

Plus, the kind I prefer isn't on board, and has a lower sugar count. Too many people act like this is the biggest hassle there is. Are we not bringing luggage on already? Since when is it inconvenient to bring things you enjoy? I know what comes next, how terrible it is to have to retrieve a drink from my room. I'm not drinking more than a can a day, if that.

Which soda is dispensed from a well (other than a mixed drink) I do not think I have ever seen that on a Carnival ship. 

They serve sodas in a 16 oz. glass, at least for Bottomless Bubbles. That's about 1 1/3 cans of soda, depending on how high they fill the glass. It's to my understanding that they then use that opened can when the next person orders a soda. But who knows how long that will be. I've seen some people say that's another reason they bring their own.

When you buy sodas a la carte, do they serve the can or use this glass method? If I had BB, I'd much rather get my own 12 oz. can than a 16 oz. glass that's partially flat.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:21 AM, FSHLOT said:

Is it just me, or does everyone think it's ok to bring a 12-pk with them on a cruise?  Is there not enough to drink on the ship? You cant go without your favorite beverage for 7 days?  I would never waste the effort it takes to carry soda on board. To each his own, but when we left out of NOLA in Dec., i never seen so many people carrying soda on. Crazy

I bring on 2 12pack of Tonic water 😉

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

They serve sodas in a 16 oz. glass, at least for Bottomless Bubbles. That's about 1 1/3 cans of soda, depending on how high they fill the glass. It's to my understanding that they then use that opened can when the next person orders a soda. But who knows how long that will be. I've seen some people say that's another reason they bring their own.

When you buy sodas a la carte, do they serve the can or use this glass method? If I had BB, I'd much rather get my own 12 oz. can than a 16 oz. glass that's partially flat.

I have gotten it both ways purchasing sodas.

14 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I go on a cruise to get away from the everyday beverage and food. I guess i dont understand why you would bring something you drink "on-shore" everyday onto a cruise ship. I look at it as getting a break from the normal routine. Just because they "allow it" doesnt mean you "Have to" bring it. 

Go ahead and tell me how wrong i am, i can take it... Carry-on your 12pks... 😁

So does that mean you don't eat or drink anything on a cruise that you would eat or drink at home? So if you drink coffee, beer, wine, etc at home, I guess you abstain from those things while on a cruise?  

I'm all for taking a break from the normal routine, but that doesn't mean I should suffer through a week of awful iced tea and lemonade. I just don't care to pay $2.50 for one soda when I can take a 12-pack on that costs about 35 cents per can. Plus, I can keep them in the cabin fridge so they are convenient while I'm relaxing on the balcony.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

So does that mean you don't eat or drink anything on a cruise that you would eat or drink at home? So if you drink coffee, beer, wine, etc at home, I guess you abstain from those things while on a cruise?  

Apparently, they have unique sodas on the cruise ship that can only be found there.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Apparently, they have unique sodas on the cruise ship that can only be found there.

The only unique sodas I am aware of in the Carnival fleet are those available on the 3 ships that have a Havana Bar (Horizon, Vista, Sunshine).  If you live in a large metropolitan area, they can be obtained at a specialty supermarket.

If I am mistaken with my hypothesis, please educate me.

8 minutes ago, prekcruiser said:

Last cruise, my daughter spend $4.00 for a can of Sprite at the bar on a NCL ship.  I think it's wonderful that Carnival lets you bring on a 12 pack. 🙂

Kinda of difficult since NCL carries Pepsi products.....must have been Sierra Mist.

28 minutes ago, prekcruiser said:

SNJCruisers, I think you are correct......it was a Sierra Mist.  The point was $4 for one drink is outrageous!!

Par for the course on NCL...a 6 pack of 1 litre water costs 17.95 (3.00 each) and a case is 53.95. (2.25 each)

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The only unique sodas I am aware of in the Carnival fleet are those available on the 3 ships that have a Havana Bar (Horizon, Vista, Sunshine).  If you live in a large metropolitan area, they can be obtained at a specialty supermarket.

If I am mistaken with my hypothesis, please educate me.

Now you have me curious. What are these unique sodas you speak of? And unique in what way?

34 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Now you have me curious. What are these unique sodas you speak of? And unique in what way?

There are five Cuban sodas that the 3 Havana Bars stock.  They're unique since they can only be found at those 3 bars in the entire fleet.  A Google search can provide the names.

19 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Cuban sodas, although I looked some of them up and it looks like they are actually made in the US by companies that produce products that cater to the Cuban-American community.

Capture.PNG.cb1048e6a857f002e795f9a6bcf378e1.PNG

I've cutback on drinking soda, but I do plan to try these on the Sunshine soon.

Edited by schazzy

On 3/24/2019 at 8:21 AM, FSHLOT said:

Is it just me, or does everyone think it's ok to bring a 12-pk with them on a cruise?  Is there not enough to drink on the ship? You cant go without your favorite beverage for 7 days?  I would never waste the effort it takes to carry soda on board. To each his own, but when we left out of NOLA in Dec., i never seen so many people carrying soda on. Crazy

We only like Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi.   We do not like any Coke products and that is all the ship carries.  Contract.  I wish they would change.  

52 minutes ago, queenkathryn said:

We only like Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi.   We do not like any Coke products and that is all the ship carries.  Contract.  I wish they would change.  

NCL is a Pepsi cruise line, but even they do not carry the caffeine free diet Pepsi.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:21 AM, FSHLOT said:

The contrasts in your post are curious, so I will answer them.  

1. Yes, it might be just you. 
  2. No.
  3. No.
  4. Good for you!

As long as the host (Carnival) permits this then why worry?

Do you stand with a glucose meter at the chocolate buffet and check to see if FPG is above 100? 
Worry about the person in the mirror, the rest is just details.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, schazzy said:

Cuban sodas, although I looked some of them up and it looks like they are actually made in the US by companies that produce products that cater to the Cuban-American community.

Capture.PNG.cb1048e6a857f002e795f9a6bcf378e1.PNG

I've cutback on drinking soda, but I do plan to try these on the Sunshine soon.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a big fan of fruit-flavored soda, other than orange. None of them sound very appealing to me, but if any, I might try the Materva. Curious what a carbonated tea would taste like. The Havana bar is open to everyone after 7:00, right?

3 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

The contrasts in your post are curious, so I will answer them.  

1. Yes, it might be just you. 
  2. No.
  3. No.
  4. Good for you!

As long as the host (Carnival) permits this then why worry?

Do you stand with a glucose meter at the chocolate buffet and check to see if FPG is above 100? 
Worry about the person in the mirror, the rest is just details.

OK,thanks. Didnt mean to hit a nerve.....😀

Whats glucose?

7 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Is the Havana Bar in both areas, or just outside? And are these sodas only available there or any bar on the ship?

The Havana bar is inside, the Havana pool and deck is outside, the outside part has restricted access during certain hours, the inside Havana bar is open to everyone all the time. 

The cuban sodas I believe are only at the Havana bar, at least thats the only bar menu I've seen them on.

Edited by schazzy