Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruisegoer

So is it True? 2nd entree fee in MDR??

Recommended Posts

Has this concept been rolled out Fleetwide? Are they trying to get more people to dine in the buffet? If you have actually experienced this on a normal HAL ship please respond. Culinary specialty cruises it’s understandable but extra charges on normal entrees in MDR is the question at hand????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's being tested currently on a small number of ships. No decision on rolling it out fleet wide. All the information can be found here:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic has been covered in other threads -- e.g.,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When eating in the Lido you had better take as much as they will give you. Next thing will be a charge to go down the line a second time. Also only one dessert per person, drink refills will be free.:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...reading before one posts is a good idea...

 

To be fair, the title of the other thread is pretty vague. I don't necessarily read every thread on the forum and I almost passed that one by initially until I saw it was getting a lot of traffic.

 

Would not have guessed from the title of "one main course" that the thread was about charging for a second entree; I rather assumed someone was trying to get the name of a particular entree they had enjoyed or maybe a recommendation for something to try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, the sarcasm from most of you on these boards is ridiculous anymore! I’ve read the other post, not all 43 pages because it’s gone off topic and in so many tangents it doesn’t really answer my question. A few sailings prior to February say they’ve experienced this MDR surcharge. There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.   I was hoping for something more current and detailed not people’s opinions on obesity or dining room manners/attire but you all rather be arrogant and nasty in your responses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

 There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.   

 

What is a "Specialty dining cruise"? How is it different from a normal HAL sailing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.  

 

It’s on normal HAL sailings.  My friend is on a cruise right now and advised me the $10 surcharge is in effect on their cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aaaaa said:

Topic has been covered in other threads -- e.g.,

 

 

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...reading before one posts is a good idea...

 

I wouldn't ask anyone to read a 43 page thread.  I think the original poster made a good choice to start a fresh thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is a "Specialty dining cruise"? How is it different from a normal HAL sailing?

 

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

 

Its always a good to search before you post!

 

 

Edited by JRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Oosterdam two weeks ago. My husband couldn't decide between two meals. The waiter told him to get both, which he did. I saw the charge printed on the bottom of the menu, but it never appeared on our bill.

I personally was pleased that the portions seemed smaller. I hate to waste food and I usually ask for small portions. I don't think they will do this fleet wide, but some people over do. My waiter told me that there was a coupe who ordered ALL the entrees each evening, they only took two bites of each. I thought this was a terrible waste. JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JRG said:

 

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

 

Its always a good to search before you post!

 

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JRG said:

 

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

 

Its always a good to search before you post!

 

 

 

The Search function sucks big time.

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cate54 said:

 

I personally was pleased that the portions seemed smaller. I hate to waste food and I usually ask for small portions. I don't think they will do this fleet wide, but some people over do. My waiter told me that there was a coupe who ordered ALL the entrees each evening, they only took two bites of each. I thought this was a terrible waste. JMHO.

Please lets keep on topic not discussing dietary/ green preferences.

 

meanwhile, the idea of smaller entrees and a surcharge for multiples is quite concerning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roz said:

 

The Search function sucks big time.

 

Roz

Roz you missed the meaning of that post entirely..... read earlier comments in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cruisegoer said:

Roz you missed the meaning of that post entirely..... read earlier comments in this thread.

 

I understood the meaning quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to try and follow all threads on this subject.

 

I hope the people speak up if they don't like the idea of being charged for a second entree on those ships trying it out.

 

But one does wonder if this will force more people to the Lido???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JRG said:

 

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

 

Its always a good to search before you post!

 

 

 

Many times I get frustrated with the search function.   Sometimes I can find what I want, other times not.   If you don't like someone's question, please move on without the sarcasm....it's really not necessary or helpful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I am going to try and follow all threads on this subject.

 

I hope the people speak up if they don't like the idea of being charged for a second entree on those ships trying it out.

 

But one does wonder if this will force more people to the Lido???

Today I received an email from my HAL personal cruise consultant and I responded letting her know I do not support this trial and I will not be booking another HAL cruise until I learn that it has been discontinued.  I’m interested to see if she responds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 7:17 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Ugh, the sarcasm from most of you on these boards is ridiculous anymore! I’ve read the other post, not all 43 pages because it’s gone off topic and in so many tangents it doesn’t really answer my question. A few sailings prior to February say they’ve experienced this MDR surcharge. There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.   I was hoping for something more current and detailed not people’s opinions on obesity or dining room manners/attire but you all rather be arrogant and nasty in your responses. 

Cruisegoer sorry I do not have the answer for you, but I wanted you to know that I am glad you started a new post. Anyone that does not like it, DOES NOT HAVE TO OPEN IT! 

 

I too am tired of all the arrogant and nasty responses people put on here. I think because they are HIDING behind a computer, they think they can speak (or type) whatever they want. And then people wonder why fewer people come to this site. 

 

I hope someone can give you the answer you are looking for 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, JRG said:

 

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

 

Its always a good to search before you post!

 

 

If it bothers you, why don't you just NOT open the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, qoap24 said:

If it bothers you, why don't you just NOT open the thread.

 

OMG!  You misunderstood my post!.   No harm no foul it happens.

 

I was actually supporting the OP opening a new thread,  my response was to an entirely different person.

 

When you go back and re-read it you will see what I mean.👍

 

Edited by JRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...