So is it True? 2nd entree fee in MDR??

Cruisegoer

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

No, this "$10 for a 2nd entree" pilot program has not rolled out fleet wide! It is currently being tested on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so two different classes of ships, until the end of March - two more days to go

They are actually testing two separate concepts:

One will offer a menu each night of the sailing offering second entrees for $10; the second will only ask for the extra $10 on Gala Night

Time will tell what's up next with second entrees on HAL 😎

I appreciate the clarification and update. I'll be on the Neiuw Amsterdam in 2 weeks now and wonder what Hal will do with the second entree issue. It's generally not something that we order but there are occasions when you have trouble deciding it would like to try a different dish. I appreciate the update on this thread as the other one has gotten so long and off-topic.

• Thanks 1

Is it really that important to try another main dish for the fun of it? We thought there was much waste of food on our last HAL cruise. I am not surprised they try to curtail it. I don't think anybody was charged on our fall cruise on the Amsterdam, but we did not test it personally.

Edited by Floridiana
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Is it really that important to try another main dish for the fun of it? We thought there was much waste of food on our last HAL cruise. I am not surprised they try to curtail it. I don't think anybody was charged on our fall cruise on the Amsterdam, but we did not test it personally.

Amsterdam is not part of the four ships that are tested 

It is still in the test stage.

If  implemented, it will hardly be the end of the world.

It might drive some people who would otherwise spring for a second meal to consider an alternate dining venue.  They will get better value for their money, even with the incremental price.

Seems to me there is a 'pay as your play' trend happening on all cruise lines in order to keep the base fares low.   One might look at this as nickel and dime.  On the other hand, some may prefer to have lower fares because they  have no interest in a second course or whatever else  it is that the cruise line decides to implement a charge for.     No matter what, the cruise line has to make a profit so the revenue must be sourced somewhere on the ship.

There are lots and lots of cruise choices out there.  Seems to me that if someone is really attached to HAL they are not going to sweat the occasional $10. charge.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

The people that are "pro" what HAL is doing are that way because they don't normally purchase a extra entree.   This makes them feel like HAL will keep the cruise rates down.   I see their point, but what if rolls were reversed and they were charging to go see a show or use the fitness facilities?   Well, I for one don't go to either, but I wouldn't take HAL's side on wanting to charge you $10.    I think as cruiser's we should always be upset at anything they want to charge extra for.   This is taking the enjoyment out of cruising.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

So, is the waste in the MDR because people ordered too much or because they didn’t care for the taste of certain items?  I’ve returned items on occasion if I didn’t care for it or it wasn’t cooked as requested so I guess I too am wasteful 😉 

I certainly would have no issue is HAL charged for a show.  Doing so would not cost us a dime.  Or for fitness facilities.   

The take rate would certainly be an indication to HAL of how much people valued those amenities.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

There are two pillows on the beds for each passenger.

Why should my cruise costs include a second pillow I never use.

HAL should just have one pillow per person and charge $5/night for a second pillow.

• Like 1

I’m going to guess that a lot of the waste in the MDR and the ordering of additional main courses is due to unsatisfactory food. We were on Nieuw Amsterdam three years ago. Great cruise, but the food in the MDR was the low point. Every dinner became a search for edible entries. Okay, “edible” is an exaggeration. Enjoyable. We rarely ask for a second entree unless the food just isn’t good. So, if HAL ups the quality of MDR food and/or doesn’t charge for the second or third entree if the first ones (barely eaten, of course) are not good, I don’t have a big problem with this. But I’m going to guess that during this experiment, a lot more first entrees are being sent back.

Still, I wonder if this new policy on the four ships where it’s being tested was made clear when people purchased their cruises. If not, I have a big problem with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bella0714 said:

Still, I wonder if this new policy on the four ships where it’s being tested was made clear when people purchased their cruises. If not, I have a big problem with it.

No, it was not made clear.  Nor was it announced in advance to the passengers prior to sailing.  I have several friends on these cruises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

No, it was not made clear.  Nor was it announced in advance to the passengers prior to sailing.  I have several friends on these cruises.

Well, that’s just really wrong. Whether or not people wanted a second entree, they should’ve been outraged.

• Like 1

As do others, I only order a second entree if the first one is not as described in the menu and is not appealing to me or just tastes bad. Tough as nails steak anyone?  Or on surf and turf night I might order a second lobster tail if the first one hasn't been over -cooked. Many times the waiter will just say - would you like another lobster  tail - without me even asking. If this policy goes fleet-wide I doubt very much if this offer will be made or the waiter will now say "Please have another lobster tail. It will only cost you $10!" How tacky. It really cheapens HAL. What happened to "Savor The Journey"? 

Edited by Windsailer
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsailer said:

As do others, I only order a second entree if the first one is not as described in the menu and is not appealing to me or just tastes bad. Tough as nails steak anyone?  Or on surf and turf night I might order a second lobster tail if the first one hasn't been over -cooked. Many times the waiter will just say - would you like another lobster  tail - without me even asking. If this policy goes fleet-wide I doubt very much if this offer will be made or the waiter will now say "Please have another lobster tail. It will only cost you $10!" How tacky. It really cheapens HAL. What happened to "Savor The Journey"? 

It depends on how much you want to "Savor." 

I am not pro HAL or pro any other cruise line.  I am simply one of those odd people who expects to get what he pays for but also expects to pay for what he gets.

I simply do not think that in the grand scheme of things $10 is anything to get exited about.   In fact, I would be willing to pay an $10. fee just for one dinner if the cruise line agreed to increase the quality of the food and preparation.  Hence my comment about driving people to alternate pay dining venues.

At the end of the day the choice will be mine.  I can vote with my feet.  No one is forcing me to book a HAL or any other brand of cruise.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It depends on how much you want to "Savor." 

Well, if this policy becomes permanent and fleet-wide I will just "Savor the Journey" on another line. If I end up being "nickel and dimed" I'd rather do it on a line like NCL where the fares are significantly lower and I know in advance I am going to be "nickel and dimed" and the quality of the food in the MDRs is similar to HAL. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bella0714 said:

I’m going to guess that a lot of the waste in the MDR and the ordering of additional main courses is due to unsatisfactory food. We were on Nieuw Amsterdam three years ago. Great cruise, but the food in the MDR was the low point. Every dinner became a search for edible entries. Okay, “edible” is an exaggeration. Enjoyable. We rarely ask for a second entree unless the food just isn’t good. So, if HAL ups the quality of MDR food and/or doesn’t charge for the second or third entree if the first ones (barely eaten, of course) are not good, I don’t have a big problem with this. But I’m going to guess that during this experiment, a lot more first entrees are being sent back.

I have to agree with the "unsatisfactory" part.   If the food was better and slightly bigger portions this would help.  I have found the food to be satisfactory in the MDR but nothing else.   Nothing I go home saying "that was amazing".  I would expect the food to be something better than Denny's, Coco's, AppleBee's or Olive Garden.  If you want Ruth Chris or Donovan's you need to go to the Specialty Dining.   There is a vast difference between the comparison of restaurants and HAL needs to step up their game in the MDR in my opinion.   If they want to charge me $10, I expect to get something better than "satisfactory".

5 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I had another thought....Why not just charge everyone $10 to eat in the MDR, it's less than the Specialty Dining.   If you don't like this option, you could always eat in the Lido.....right?

You’re joking, right?

1 minute ago, kazu said:

You’re joking, right?

Yep, I'm joking :classic_biggrin:.   Just trying to make a point to those that are "for" charging the extra $10 and how absurd it is.  If it effected them, they may see the charge differently.

2 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Yep, I'm joking :classic_biggrin:.   Just trying to make a point to those that are "for" charging the extra $10 and how absurd it is.  If it effected them, they may see the charge differently.

To be fair, there are plenty of us who do not order a second entree, who still think this is unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

LOL.

2 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

To be fair, there are plenty of us who do not order a second entree, who still think this is unacceptable.

Ditto - we’re one of them.  

8 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I had another thought....Why not just charge everyone $10 to eat in the MDR, it's less than the Specialty Dining.   If you don't like this option, you could always eat in the Lido.....right?

Again, if I would want to eat in the MDR, and there was a charge, I'd pay.  I rather enjoy the Lido - I can have a custom entree-sized salad done just the way I want.   Specialty dining (except Tamarind) is not all that good for a vegetarian (more carb-laden pasta) and the MDR gets boring mighty fast.  

I'm thinking if everyone sticks to their "I'm changing cruiselines", we're going to  have more availability on the cruises.  But, I think most will cave and pay if it comes to it.  

Does anyone have actual proof that you must pay for a replacement entree if you say it is not good (after one or two bites)?  Or, is this just hysteria talking?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

...  Does anyone have actual proof that you must pay for a replacement entree if you say it is not good (after one or two bites)?  Or, is this just hysteria talking?

IMHO it is definitely the latter - good ole CC hysteria!

Edited by avian777

On 3/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, Copper10-8 said:

No, this "$10 for a 2nd entree" pilot program has not rolled out fleet wide! It is currently being tested on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so two different classes of ships, until the end of March - two more days to go

They are actually testing two separate concepts:

One will offer a menu each night of the sailing offering second entrees for $10; the second will only ask for the extra $10 on Gala Night

Time will tell what's up next with second entrees on HAL 😎

I think they really need to re-think this. They serve 4oz lobster tails and are surprised people wants a second? Get real.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, iancal said:

It is still in the test stage.

If  implemented, it will hardly be the end of the world.

It might drive some people who would otherwise spring for a second meal to consider an alternate dining venue.  They will get better value for their money, even with the incremental price.

Seems to me there is a 'pay as your play' trend happening on all cruise lines in order to keep the base fares low.   One might look at this as nickel and dime.  On the other hand, some may prefer to have lower fares because they  have no interest in a second course or whatever else  it is that the cruise line decides to implement a charge for.     No matter what, the cruise line has to make a profit so the revenue must be sourced somewhere on the ship.

There are lots and lots of cruise choices out there.  Seems to me that if someone is really attached to HAL they are not going to sweat the occasional $10. charge.

👍👍👍  Spot on, iancal - great Post!  Good to "hear" from someone who obviously understands business.