Need advice from experienced cruisers

CruzinfromFL

Hi all,

Hubby and I have taken 3 cruises on Royal Caribbean to the Caribbean. We booked 2 out of 3 last minute and the 3rd one was booked less than a year out. We have recently booked an Alaska cruisetour on Norwegian for May 2020. My travel agent told me that if I find the price drops to let her know and she'll be able to cancel and rebook us at the lower rate. I signed up for price notifications and the cruise has dropped by 1%, my travel agent will look into it Monday for us, but I'm wondering if anyone here can give me any insight into price drops with Norwegian. Is there a time of year (holidays?) where they tend to drop prices? Are price drops small like the 1% I have seen or can they be significant? Or is it just totally random if/when a price drop happens. I guess I"m just wondering how closely I need to watch prices between now and when our final payment is due in January. 

Thanks!

For a time of the year, look around Black Friday.  They usually have a sale for time period.  You often find the government fees and taxes as part of the package then.  Also, keep an eye out for current deals and find the price drops there.  NCL is pretty good about capturing the price change or package deal improvement if you bring it up.  Last cruise I was able to get $500 OBC added in under 6 minutes when I called.  If you need to rebook to capture a price drop, be careful that you are okay with whatever perks they have current.  That’s the biggest risk. You will lose whatever old perks you had and have the new package instead.

15 minutes ago, Harratine said:

For a time of the year, look around Black Friday.  They usually have a sale for time period.  You often find the government fees and taxes as part of the package then.  Also, keep an eye out for current deals and find the price drops there.  NCL is pretty good about capturing the price change or package deal improvement if you bring it up.  Last cruise I was able to get $500 OBC added in under 6 minutes when I called.  If you need to rebook to capture a price drop, be careful that you are okay with whatever perks they have current.  That’s the biggest risk. You will lose whatever old perks you had and have the new package instead.

Thanks! The perks is exactly what my TA mentioned she would look at tomorrow when I emailed her on Friday.

I appreciate the info!

I personally wouldn't jump on a 1% price drop this early.  You are more than a year out.  Keep an eye out around the 15th of April and see if they run a tax day special - they don't always do it.  There is also a week in the spring (I think) that all cruise lines run a "best deal of the year" offer, your ta might fill you in.

Good luck, Vic

• Like 1

Keep in mind that if you decide to cancel and re-book just to save a little money, you might NOT be able to book the cabin or location that you have now.  What is more important to you?

The WAVE Season has just ended.  

In the past if it was before final payment I was able to get a lower price and not lose my cabin.

It was the same booking number too. Last time they did that for me was about a year ago

so don't know if the still do it.

not sure how RC handles pricing  but NCL has a nice program called Bidding.

it is not offered to all cruiser but some time after the final payment about 80 days out the luck ones get a letter to bid for an upgrade.

you can move up 2 tiers for a few extra bucks.

We moved from BB balcony SC 2 bedroom suite for $750 each on top of the cost of the balcony.

we probably bid too much but was a great cruise and wonderful cabin.  If you get a bidding offer you can move to a higher priced cabin at a fraction of the cost.   Have a great trip

There really is no particular time price drops will show up. Yes, Black Friday is a good time but even then, it will have more to do with supply and demand. I know, for instance, with our Oct cruise, every sailing date keeps having some rate adjustments except the date we are sailing. I also will add to what someone said: I don't think I would bother with a 1% drop, but that is your choice. And you do have to make sure the promo offered doesn't change if you re-book. Good luck.