Viking Pearls of Lucerne Excursion

trvlmama

Does anyone know the activity level of Viking's Pearls of Lucerne 13 hour excursion? I can do moderate but am scheduled for a hip replacement right after trip so I am trying to avoid strenuous or hiking. I am hoping there are plenty of "sit down" opportunities. Thank you

We are on in Lucerne today, and are taking this excursion tomorrow, so I will be able to answer your question after then. Husband is having knee replacement when we get back, so I will be able to give you his perspective as well.

Having finished the Pearls Of Switzerland tour, I would say that the level of physical activity was fairly light, but 13 hours makes for a long day. We stayed at the Radisson Blu in Lucerne, and had to walk to the boat, which was about two blocks away. The ground was level, but the Viking guide who took us to the boat set a rather fast pace. The boat by the way is a public ferry, not a tour boat. From the ferry to the train, which took us up Mt. Riga had a very short walk, maybe 20 yards. Once at the top of Mt. Riga we had an hour of free time to walk or just sit and admire the views. Another train ride down Riga, and at the bottom we met our bus. To reach the bus we had to go down a flight of stairs. After that it was just going In/out of the bus at the monastery, the dairy farm, and cheese cooperative (Where we had dinner). My husband did fine, but 13 hours was probably too much for him, heck, it was too much for me. 

1 hour ago, Rosethorn40 said:

Having finished the Pearls Of Switzerland tour, I would say that the level of physical activity was fairly light, but 13 hours makes for a long day. We stayed at the Radisson Blu in Lucerne, and had to walk to the boat, which was about two blocks away. The ground was level, but the Viking guide who took us to the boat set a rather fast pace. The boat by the way is a public ferry, not a tour boat. From the ferry to the train, which took us up Mt. Riga had a very short walk, maybe 20 yards. Once at the top of Mt. Riga we had an hour of free time to walk or just sit and admire the views. Another train ride down Riga, and at the bottom we met our bus. To reach the bus we had to go down a flight of stairs. After that it was just going In/out of the bus at the monastery, the dairy farm, and cheese cooperative (Where we had dinner). My husband did fine, but 13 hours was probably too much for him, heck, it was too much for me. 

We did Mt. Pilatus instead of Rigi, and after reading this I conclude that it is probably a better day-tour from Lucerne.  Shorter but also very scenic [and just the mountain, not the other things you did at the end].

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Where did you get the tickets for Mt Pilatus?  We will be there in Sept 2019 and have started researching.  Thanks!

baf

At the Lucerne train station.  You can buy various packages that combine a boat or train from downtown to the base and cog railway and/or tramway.

https://www.pilatus.ch/en/discover/golden-round-trip/