Cruise Critic Community
Cruisin Brenda

Brexit impact on cruises from Southampton?

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess April 27 from Southampton to Bruges, Oslo, Copenhagen and Skagen. I am worried that we will not be able to dock in Belgium  if Brexit takes effect, as it is an EU country and I doubt that they will have everything in place re customs and immigration by then if Great Britain leaves the EU on April 12. The other ports are not in the EU so I don't think it will be an issue.

Does anyone have any insight? I know I am probably overthinking things, but we are really looking forward to this port. 

Also a bit worried about our 3 days precruise in London if there are protests, etc, but that's a separate issue. 

I wouldn't worry about it in the least.  The worst that can happen is you will miss ports.  In which case the cruise line will take care of it and you also.  I'm sure that they (cruisline) will make the right decisions and will certainly take care of their passengers.  Any variations are usually compensated in one form  or another.

If you're still really uptight about this, maybe you need to cancel your cruise until you feel more comfortable.

As to encountering demonstrations:  If you encounter one, just do an about face and walk away.  Most demonstrations are peaceful.  But if you want to participate, then your risk factor may go up a bit.

You're probably better off worrying about flying on a 737 Max if you need worry material.

I have been cruising on and off for nearly 40 years, so I know that the worst that will happen re the cruise is that we will miss a port. I have been on cruises where ports were cancelled, and there was no compensation. If I were going to cancel the cruise, I would have done so and not asked the question. I am a rational person and wasn't looking for  platitudes and reassurances- I was looking for insight into the Brexit situation potentially affecting the port calls, nothing more. I think that I could also figure out what to do in the face of a demonstration. 

And thanks, but I don't need worry material. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Cruisin Brenda said:

I have been cruising on and off for nearly 40 years, so I know that the worst that will happen re the cruise is that we will miss a port. I have been on cruises where ports were cancelled, and there was no compensation. If I were going to cancel the cruise, I would have done so and not asked the question. I am a rational person and wasn't looking for  platitudes and reassurances- I was looking for insight into the Brexit situation potentially affecting the port calls, nothing more. I think that I could also figure out what to do in the face of a demonstration. 

And thanks, but I don't need worry material. 

Brenda:

Please pardon me.  I just didn't know of your extensive experience when I replied.  Next time I'll think twice before trying to be helpful.

May you have a nice worry free cruise .

The way the UK govt and parliament are performing we'll still be in the EU come Xmas so don't worry about it. Enjoy your time in London and have a great cruise. 👌🛳🍾

My understanding is that BREXIT will primarily have an impact on UK citizens - not on US, Canadian or Australian citizens- Passport control/ immigration is not only about EU - it’s more about Schengen Zone - UK is not part of Schengen today so the ship must be cleared by Schengen when arriving from Southampton into Belgium - today as well as after BREXIT - no change - procedures already in place.

The primary change is that today UK citizens as part of EU freely can travel within Schengen - that will change - the UK citizens will be consider ‘third country’ like US or Canadian citizens- iI worst case UK citizens will need a visa to enter Schengen - but probably not the case, but they will need a passport with an validity of at least 6 months.

Thanks everyone! And I apologize for my ignorance re Denmark being part of the EU. I am going to relax a bit and might even go ahead and book that shuttle from  port to Bruges- was holding off just in case we wouldn't be allowed to dock in Belgium. I appreciate the explanation about the Schengen zone. Was totally unaware of it. 

Hopefully all our UK passengers have got valid passports, just in case. 

10 hours ago, Cruisin Brenda said:

I appreciate the explanation about the Schengen zone. Was totally unaware of it. 

Yes, Schengen are can be a bit difficult to understand. From January 2021 you’ll need a ETIAS authorization prior to entering the Schengen Area - same as we need an ESTA authorization to enter USA.

The Schengen Area is an area comprising 26 European states with a common visa policy. 22 of the current 28 EU member states participate in the Schengen Area.
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, are not members of the EU, but have signed agreements in association with the Schengen Agreement.