Cruise Critic Community
jedco

Transportation from London to Southampton

The train isn't non-stop. It is direct, but not non-stop. In fact, there are 15 intermediate stops, which is one reason why the journey will take so long. In comparison, the 0935 from London Waterloo to Southampton Central takes a shorter route, has only three intermediate stops, takes only 1 hour 14 minutes, and costs £9 (if booked today).

So the Waterloo train arrives at 1049 and the Victoria train arrives at 1202.

The big question really is: Where are you starting from?

Thanks to John Bull for the info on the National Express bus.  We booked online for the Senior special and it worked our very well from Heathrow to London and then London to Southampton.   Very clean and comfortable coaches.  We took a cab for 5 GBP to the pier.   Our hotel was only 0.3 miles from the coach station.

Sorry.  I meant direct not non stop.  Being we are staying at Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace Road I think we will stay with the National Express bus.

I read a lot of not so favorable reviews on National Express . We’ll be traveling from Central London, Victoria Station  to Southampton on day of cruise(Sunday).  Looking for advise  if should we take National Express or hire a private car .  What are pros and cons. Planning on taking the 9:00am bus to Southampton Thanks

1 hour ago, wendyp247 said:

I read a lot of not so favorable reviews on National Express . We’ll be traveling from Central London, Victoria Station  to Southampton on day of cruise(Sunday).  Looking for advise  if should we take National Express or hire a private car .  What are pros and cons. Planning on taking the 9:00am bus to Southampton Thanks

Simple.

Bus: cheaper. Private car: more expensive, door to door, less schlepping.

1 hour ago, wendyp247 said:

If you dig deeper you'll find a lot more good reviews of Nat Express.

For a cheap & simple bus journey there's a tendency for folk not to bother reviewing when the service is good, but it's a way of letting off steam when things don't work out - nonetheless on Trustpilot, 41000 reviews, 4 stars out of five. 

And well-received by Cruise Critic members.

No, not as good as a private transfer.

But a private transfer from Victoria area about £120 to £140,

Nat Express usually under £10 per person plus a max. £10 taxi fare from Southampton coach station to any cruise terminal.

The difference is quite a few Margaritas :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Used NE many times over the last 40 years (even when they weren’t so good!) and never had a problem. 

Simon

I confess I am in sticker shock after seeing the quote we got from Smiths - $238 each way for 3 passengers.  Whew!  Checking out train and bus options but those could be difficult as we are staying at Kingston Upon Thames.  Not sure if the train from there stops anywhere near Southampton without having to make connections (which I just don't want to do with all that luggage!).  Any further advice would be appreciated.

I would like to say that we just got back from a British Isles cruise RT Southampton.  I booked our transportation from LHR to Southampton via Blackberry Cars based off of recommendations here.  Also used them to transport us from the ship to our hotel at LHR then to Windsor.  I am happy to report that I would GLADLY book through them again!  Very good experience!  I really liked how they communicated with me.  When the driver was about 10 minutes out I received an email giving me a count down on when the driver would arrive.  This email also gave written notice on where we were going and a map that one can follow along with.  In addition it gave the license plate of the vehicle, name of the driver and a picture of the driver--which made me feel secure.  For us it was well worth the money.  I did do a cost comparison--having the cruise line transport us and this was more cost effective.    

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I confess I am in sticker shock after seeing the quote we got from Smiths - $238 each way for 3 passengers.  Whew!  Checking out train and bus options but those could be difficult as we are staying at Kingston Upon Thames.  Not sure if the train from there stops anywhere near Southampton without having to make connections (which I just don't want to do with all that luggage!).  Any further advice would be appreciated.

If you don't use a car service (and you can get quotes from other companies recommended on here) you basically have 2 choices.

1) Get the train from Kingston station toward London and change at Clapham Junction to pick up the Southampton train. Train will be about £30 each single or about £40 return. Trains every 30mins or so, but can be a pig to change platforms using the bridges at Clapham.  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

2) Get a cab to Heathrow (T4 is probably nearest) and get a National Express coach. Around £15 each way on the coach (though can be cheaper) plus cab fare to LHR...probably £20-£25.  https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Try getting quotes from Blackberry and https://westquaycars.com/  then work out the prices to see which is most viable.

Simon

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, phoenix_dream said:

That doesn't sound like Smith's usual price.

Should be somewhere between the approx £80 from London Heathrow & approx £140 from central London.

Have you double-checked the currency conversion rate that you used?  It's currently well under $1.30 to the £ - have you inverted those figures??

And did you clearly seek a quote from Richmond-on-Thames? There are a number of places in England called "Richmond", the most well-known "Richmond" is in the north of England !!

If that's truly Smith's quote, I suggest you seek quotes from 

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

By train to Southampton there's just the one change, at Clapham Junction.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

On this website type in your start point as Richmond & choose the option Richmond London RMD, not Richmond Yks Bus RMK   

Your destination is Southampton central.

The standard fare is about £37 per person, but if you book 4 to 6 weeks out there are a number of trains which would suit cruising from Southampton at just £10 (about $13). (If your trip isn't in the next couple of months, select a random date about a month out - same day-of-the-week as your travel - to see those advance fares.)

Be aware that those advance tickets are only good for the train time that you select - if you miss that train, your ticket is trash & you'll have to pay the full walk-up fare for the next train.

Yes, it involves one change of train. :classic_sad: But $200 less than you've been quoted for a car. :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

That doesn't sound like Smith's usual price.

Should be somewhere between the approx £80 from London Heathrow & approx £140 from central London.

Have you double-checked the currency conversion rate that you used?  It's currently well under $1.30 to the £ - have you inverted those figures??

And did you clearly seek a quote from Richmond-on-Thames? There are a number of places in England called "Richmond", the most well-known "Richmond" is in the north of England !!

If that's truly Smith's quote, I suggest you seek quotes from 

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

By train to Southampton there's just the one change, at Clapham Junction.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

On this website type in your start point as Richmond & choose the option Richmond London RMD, not Richmond Yks Bus RMK   

Your destination is Southampton central.

The standard fare is about £37 per person, but if you book 4 to 6 weeks out there are a number of trains which would suit cruising from Southampton at just £10 (about $13). (If your trip isn't in the next couple of months, select a random date about a month out - same day-of-the-week as your travel - to see those advance fares.)

Be aware that those advance tickets are only good for the train time that you select - if you miss that train, your ticket is trash & you'll have to pay the full walk-up fare for the next train.

Yes, it involves one change of train. :classic_sad: But $200 less than you've been quoted for a car. :classic_smile:

Thanks for all the good info.  I sincerely appreciate all the time you have spent getting this information to me (and anyone else on the hunt for transportation).  I wrote down the wrong # for Smith's.  It was $384 round trip, converted to USD.  West Quay and Blackberry were more reasonable, but both still over $200 USD (round trip).  That's not too bad.  We do have 3 people with accompanying luggage so I think that bumps us up to a bigger sized vehicle.  And since most of them apparently charge by the vehicle that could be why we are encountering prices higher than a couple traveling alone would expect.   Next time leave my son at home 😄 (although at least we get to split the fare 3 ways as he is an adult)  I have not tried aquacars.  All together I have quotes from 11 different companies, ranging from $220 USD all the way up to $1020 USD.  I've been using an exchange rate of 1.25, knowing it varies a bit day by day.  

It's probably time for me to stop analyzing and just pick an option and stick with it.  Don't want to keep clogging up this thread with my own boring adventures😊

On 6/13/2019 at 7:44 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I am going to post this here and in the ask a question portion.

We were planning on taking the National Express bus from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton the morning of our cruise, either the 9am or 10am bus for 5GBP each.  Then I read about all the routes from London always congested with traffic and may take quite a bit more time than the 2h 20 min posted.

So now I saw that there is a non stop train leaving Victoria Station to Southampton at 9:36am, 2hr 26 min also for 5GBP pp.  Which would you choose and how far in advance to make reservations.  Our cruise is the end of August 2019.

It really depends on where in London you're staying.  If you're on the South Bank, the trains from Waterloo are a lot (1hr) faster.

Not mentioned here is that you can reach Southampton from all sorts of other stations in London if you're willing to change, or happen to not be staying near the city core.

Wimbledon - A lot of the trains from Waterloo call here as well on the way to Southampton

Paddington - train to Reading, change to train to Southampton

Blackfriars or London Bridge - train to Gatwick airport, change to train to Southampton

The disadvantage of changing trains is that most of the time you can't get cheap tickets because it's on trains run by two different operators.  However, the additional cost in the ticket may be offset by avoiding a taxi.

We will plan to take National  Express from London Victoria at 9 am on a Sunday, is that adequate time to get to Southampton , and then take a taxi to pier?  I’m reading about congested roads and that 2 1/2 is not realistic  for travel time. For those from the area,  do you think 9 am coach allow enough time to get to ship or should we take the 8 am coach  ? Thanks for your advice. I live in Orlando and understand congested roads and highways . 

4 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

We will plan to take National  Express from London Victoria at 9 am on a Sunday, is that adequate time to get to Southampton , and then take a taxi to pier?  I’m reading about congested roads and that 2 1/2 is not realistic  for travel time. For those from the area,  do you think 9 am coach allow enough time to get to ship or should we take the 8 am coach  ? Thanks for your advice. I live in Orlando and understand congested roads and highways . 

No worries :classic_smile:

Very little truck or business traffic.

And most Londoners heading for the coast will have travelled friday pm or Saturday morning - classic log-jam times.

Sunday is the ideal day. :classic_smile:

And you have a big margin (over 3 hrs) for any unforseeable delay.

Thanks JB, we will plan to take the 9 am coach as recommend by you.  The train that day is 44  GBP  compared to the coach fare of  5GBP. I appreciate your help.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Thanks JB, we will plan to take the 9 am coach as recommend by you.  The train that day is 44  GBP  compared to the coach fare of  5GBP. I appreciate your help.

£44 is the walk-up train fare.

Even on sundays there are cheap advance tickets on some trains from London Waterloo to Southampton central. 

As low as £9.

Advance tickets available from about 10 weeks out - if your date is later than 29th September you can see the cheap advance fares by choosing a random sunday in September.

Advance tickets are only valid for the train time that you choose, but that's the same with Nat Express coaches.

No cheap advance train fares on trains from Victoria rail station on sundays..

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Probably best to choose between train or coach depending on the location of your London hotel.

Edited by John Bull

We wanted something more than just transportation from Heathrow to Southampton.

We arrived two days ahead of our cruise and stayed two days after our cruise. I discovered Nick Young of Southampton Chauffeur Hire and Southampton Cruise Tours on TripAdvisor.com.

Nick met us at arrivals in Heathrow. We stopped in Winchester on our way to our Southampton hotel. We enjoyed our time in Winchester......we visited there 40 years ago with 3 small children.

Nick met us at our ship after the cruise and we were off to Portsmouth for the day. Nick returned us to our hotel in Southampton.

Nick picked us up two days later at our hotel for our return to Heathrow. We stopped in Salisbury on the way back to our Heathrow hotel. We had never visited Salisbury and enjoyed our time there.

Nick was the ultimate professional. Everything was perfect down to the last detail.

You can visit his website or contact him @  enquiries@southamptoncruisetours.co.uk or enquiries@southamptonchauffeurhire.co.uk

Hot off the Press...

- Smith’s...Heathrow to Southampton £75 plus £8 parking at Heathrow (6 July)

- Aquacars...from Southampton QE2 Berth to Heathrow £85 (21 July)

- Tip extra!

Both services provided on time pick up and were very good!

Cheers...CV...

On 7/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, wendyp247 said:

We'll be joining that bus at 9:20 when it does a pick-up at Hammersmith.  We did the same thing, same time, last year---it could not have worked out better.

See 'ya on board!

On 3/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, sddsddean said:

'Best' is a matter of opinion and your views on money and time! Better to say 'options'.

Car service such as Smiths (mentioned above) or West Quay cars. Both reputable and recommended by CCer's. About £100-£150 each way.

National Express coach. Depends a bit on where your hotel is, but if you are anywhere near Victoria, the main coach station is there. About 2 1/2 hrs to Southampton, often around £5, but can be as much as £20. You will need a cab from Southampton coach station to the ship...£7. These are comfortable coaches and used by many CCer's. https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Train. Basically 2 routes. More direct is Waterloo - Southampton Central. About 1hr 15mins. Can be as low as £9 or as high as £45! You have to use the website to choose your service. There is a route from Victoria to Southampton, but its about 2 1/2 hrs and around £43. If I was in the Victoria area, I'd use the National Express coach every time. Again, you would need a cab from the station to the ship.  http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Those are your basic options and as I say, a lot depends on where you are in London (its a big place!) and how much humping of luggage you are willing to do.

Simon

PS I will now be shot down in flames by dastardly JB!!

What about going the other way.....from Southampton port into London for the day and back. Should we attempt this on our own?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, mrgoalie said:

What about going the other way.....from Southampton port into London for the day and back. Should we attempt this on our own?

Not by Nat Express bus - frequency is poor and the journey time is too long for a day return.

By train it's possible, but you'd have very limited time in London.

You'd comfortably make the 08.30 train from Southampton -and that's the first train available on a pre-booked cheap fare (about £17 one-way). It gets you to London Waterloo just before 10am.

If you're on a port-of-call visit with a back-on-board time of let's say 5pm you'd need to catch the 3.05pm (pre-booked £12) arriving Southampton central 4.22pm (with the 3.20pm and 3.35pm trains at full fare £44 as back-up if you  fouled-up and missed the 3.05)

That gives you abiout 5 hrs in central London. Totally inadequate but you could do a ho-ho tour (about 2hrs 20 mins) and mebbe a stop at the Tower of London & short cruise to Westminster Bridge close to Waterloo station or a walk around Parliament Square (Big Ben, Westminster Abbey etc).

London needs several days - if you've been before or if you expect to make a proper visit some time in the future it's a waste.

But if it's your only chance to visit I guess a whistle-stop tour is better than no visit.

If this is between back-to-back cruises   you have no chance. You have luggage issues and registration if you're switching ships, or at least the potential of having an early back-on-board time if it's b2b on the same ship.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/personal/home/search

I've driven port-of-call cruise excursions Southampton-London-Southampton. 

There are just two or three brief stops (usually Albert Memorial, St Paul's, Tower of London) and a brief tour past some of the major sights. Usually a blue-badge guide on the bus.

Edited by John Bull

Agree with JB...too much time is wasted getting to and from London to make it a worhwhile day.  You would do much better going to Portsmouth (lots of naval history inc HMS Victory, Mary Rose, D Day museum), Salisbury (tallest cathedral in the UK inc original of the Magna Carta, oldest mechanical clock in the world) and do a side trip to Stonehenge if you like looking at a pile of stones!, or even the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (is it feasible to get there by public transport JB?). Just a few ideas where you won't be travelling for half the day.

Simon

6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (is it feasible to get there by public transport JB?).

Simon

From Southampton Town Quay (between City & Ocean Cruise Terminal) the diminutive little Hythe Ferry

https://hytheferry.co.uk/  across Southampton Water to Hythe, then taxi from the rank at the pier about 6 miles across a corner of the New Forest to https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

No taxi rank at Beaulieu, so arrange with the taxi driver to come back for you.