Getting "coffee card" trade for mini bar with medallion?

caribbean2000

We are elite level and in the past one of the first things we do when boarding is call the purser's desk and ask that the free mini bar be removed and two coffee cards be given instead. Now, with the medallion being used on our cruise on the Regal next week we are wondering if the same procedure is in place, i.e., can the purser's desk people apply the equivalent of the old coffee cards to our accounts via the medallion immediately? thanks!

13 minutes ago, caribbean2000 said:

We are elite level and in the past one of the first things we do when boarding is call the purser's desk and ask that the free mini bar be removed and two coffee cards be given instead. Now, with the medallion being used on our cruise on the Regal next week we are wondering if the same procedure is in place, i.e., can the purser's desk people apply the equivalent of the old coffee cards to our accounts via the medallion immediately? thanks!

The passenger services desk has nothing to do with it.

Room service handles it.

Nothing can be done until they come and get your setup.

Just call room service and request the same thing. They will be placed on your account once they do the swap.

Once you are credited with turning in your bar setup for the coffee option, it will be loaded onto your account.  Every time you get coffee with the option it will be noted on your account until none are left.  It all is done by the computer in the database.  The actual coffee card is gone and when you disembark off the ship any coffee left on your account is lost.   

21 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Once you are credited with turning in your bar setup for the coffee option, it will be loaded onto your account.  Every time you get coffee with the option it will be noted on your account until none are left.  It all is done by the computer in the database.  The actual coffee card is gone and when you disembark off the ship any coffee left on your account is lost.   

That is exactly the way it works now.  

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Room service handles it.

Just call room service and request the same thing. They will be placed on your account once they do the swap.

Someone posted on another thread that the "cards" were on their accounts within ten minutes of calling room service and that the mini-bar items were picked up later in the day.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Call Room service, but yes, it's the same. 

My only complaint is that  they don't make it easy to track yoru usage since it's a 15 coffee limit.  Unless that has changed.

IF the tracking is the same as it is/was with the PBP on the cruise cards ... then simply ask the bartender or barista your count ... pretty simple for the PBP

• Like 1

Stop thinking about it as a ‘Coffee Card’, princess no longer sells or gives out coffee card.  Existing cards expires 31 August 2019, no matter what).  Princess now sells or gives the ‘New Grounds Coffee Package’.  The package is credited to your cruise account and accessed with your Medallion or cruise card.  The Medillion is just a high tech cruise card, that tracks even more about you.  

The “New Grounds’ package includes all-you-can-drink quality brewed coffee, tea, and hot chocolate from the IC or another venue, AND up to 15 speciality coffee or tea drinks.  The Specialty drinks can be shared but the brewed coffee, tea, etc. cannot be shared.  

When you trade out the mini-bar you basically buy the “New Grounds’ package at no cost from Room Service.  Get a receipt.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

IF the tracking is the same as it is/was with the PBP on the cruise cards ... then simply ask the bartender or barista your count ... pretty simple for the PBP

Yeah, but it should display to you so you know without asking was my point.

10 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Call Room service, but yes, it's the same. 

My only complaint is that  they don't make it easy to track yoru usage since it's a 15 coffee limit.  Unless that has changed.

And, it can sometimes take a little while for Room Service to come get your bar setup out of your room and actually activate your Coffee package.  On our Regal Cruise, we did not have access to coffee until the morning of Day 2...

5 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

And, it can sometimes take a little while for Room Service to come get your bar setup out of your room and actually activate your Coffee package.  On our Regal Cruise, we did not have access to coffee until the morning of Day 2...

Us too. They would not give you access to anything until they had that mini bar in their hot little hands.  😎

2 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Interesting.  I've not had this issue, but I didn't want my first coffee till the evening of the embarkation day, so there was plenty of time for them to remove it and update my account.  They are usually quite quick with that.

I think that whether you have the coffee package  your usage should be readily available to you via your Princess@Sea (or whatever the new equivalent is called with the medallion cruises). For the coffee package it should be pretty easy to do.. Just allow people to see how many specialty coffee drinks they have used and how many are remaining. You can already see your liquor charges on the system so why not include your coffee usage as well?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Room service handles it.

If I trade the minibar in for two coffee cards and there are three of us in the cabin, do you know if would I be able to tell them who I want to give the second the card to? 

44 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If I trade the minibar in for two coffee cards and there are three of us in the cabin, do you know if would I be able to tell them who I want to give the second the card to? 

Maybe.

There was a post a while back where the OP noted that the coffee went to Passenger 1 & Passenger 2. If you want it for Passenger 3, you'll definitely have to ask.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, bmc alabama said:

On our last few cruises on the Star & the Coral they claimed they were very busy ( called for the switch @ 12:00 on embarkation day) didn’t actually get the switch until way after 48 hours after boarding.  And I kept calling about it.  Coffee package was finally loaded to the card .  Room service kept saying they gave info to the front desk & that they were the ones not putting it on the card.  It was not a big deal as we still had the old paper coffee cards, so they punched those. So now after September, the 1st morning when my husband goes to get the good regular black coffee, I will just tell him to tell them just to add the per cup coffee charge to our ship board account, then deal with the passenger services desk about getting them to refund the charge. I know this doesn’t seem right, but we’ll be on the Star in November & that is the ship that took almost 72 hours for the coffee package to be added to the card.  I kind of felt like we would have been gypped  out of the perk because they were over worked or short handed.

How else could this be handled????????

4 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

On our last few cruises on the Star & the Coral they claimed they were very busy ( called for the switch @ 12:00 on embarkation day) didn’t actually get the switch until way after 48 hours after boarding.  And I kept calling about it.  Coffee package was finally loaded to the card .  Room service kept saying they gave info to the front desk & that they were the ones not putting it on the card.  It was not a big deal as we still had the old paper coffee cards, so they punched those. So now after September, the 1st morning when my husband goes to get the good regular black coffee, I will just tell him to tell them just to add the per cup coffee charge to our ship board account, then deal with the passenger services desk about getting them to refund the charge. I know this doesn’t seem right, but we’ll be on the Star in November & that is the ship that took almost 72 hours for the coffee package to be added to the card.  I kind of felt like we would have been gypped  out of the perk because they were over worked or short handed.

How else could this be handled????????

Easy. Let us select the perk prior to embarkation...

If we are elite and want to change the minbar to a coffee package do we both have to have the coffee package(and does it include lattes?) or can we have one coffee card and exchange the rest for soft drinks?