Cruise Critic Community
cruisehome

i know it has been asked before ----

is a return flight at 10:50am    to early to chance  or will I miss the flight if I ask for first off the ship after walk off    what time is first off ship after walk off    sorry    I have been looking at airfare  so so expensive

thanks 

6 minutes ago, cruisehome said:

is a return flight at 10:50am    to early to chance  or will I miss the flight if I ask for first off the ship after walk off    what time is first off ship after walk off    sorry    I have been looking at airfare  so so expensive

thanks 

Where are you cruising from and what airport are you going to be flying home from? 

• oops sorry     fort Lauderdale airport   just a regular cruise to and from the carribbean

I can't rememeber if I have done it this early

been looking at airfare and it is very expensive for the month of october

thanks carol

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cruisehome said:
  • oops sorry     fort Lauderdale airport   just a regular cruise to and from the carribbean

I can't rememeber if I have done it this early

been looking at airfare and it is very expensive for the month of october

thanks carol

The FLL airport is less than 5 miles from Port Everglades cruise port. If the ship arrives on time and you do self disembarkation you should be able to make that flight. No experience. Way too early for our comfort level. 

Edited by davekathy

Based on the fact that Celebrity’s own Luggage Valet service has a 11:30 AM or later flight requirement for use, 10:50 AM does not seem too early to me.

If you could either walk off with their own luggage or get an early departure/luggage time, you should be fine.  

It would help if it is not a busy port day, so it is worth checking to see how many ships are in port. 

For us it would be too much stress to have to deal with after having a great time on a cruise. Let's see, first you're hoping the ship was allowed to dock on time and clear customs in short order, which is not always a given. Then, with all your luggage in tow, you first have to battle through all of the people waiting to get off the ship which can be a challenge even in the best of times. Then, once you meander through the terminal, you have to flag down a taxi to take you to the airport. Then, once you get there, assuming you logged into your flight 24 hours earlier, you have to still wait in line to check your bags with everyone else from all the other ships in port that morning.

Now, after you accomplish that task, you then get to stand in the security line. Hopefully, you have a Global Entry TSA Precheck noted on your ticket else you're going to be waiting in that line for awhile. Finally, you made it through and you're on your way to your gate.

IMHO with so many things that could go wrong, we would just book that later flight, if the price isn't too much higher, just to avoid all that potential stress. 

We had a 10:20am flight 3 weeks ago from FLL and made it in plenty of time.  We got concerned because the line to debark the ship was very long due to a woman falling on the escalator and shutting it down for a few minutes.  We met at 7:45 to debark and even after long lines made it to airport before 9:00am.   But much depends on how many customs agents are working and ship being cleared.

Last week we flew out of FLL and going through airport security was a breeze.  We have both Tsa -Pre check and Clear, plus we have Global Entry for after the cruise, although it wasn't staffed the day we cleared customs..  We were through airport security in less than 5 minutes  My grand kids who have pre-check were through security in 5 minutes. We also used the ez-luggage program so we didn't have to check any bags at the airport, although that was a breeze as well for the grand kids who did check their luggage.

With that said, we happen to be very lucky in that if we don't stress about missing a flight after a cruise.  If we should miss a flight we just get one that same day if available, or get one the next day.  For us life is too short to stress over a missed flight.   It isn't the end of the world for us.😃

thanks for the info everyone

I decided to take the 11:30AM flight   just to give a little more time -  I have taken 11:30 flights before and it was OK    

carol