Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MargieD804

Getting to Manhattan Cruise Terminal from Philadelphia

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I don’t know if it’s unique to the N.J./NY stations, but the first time I ever bought an Amtrak ticket, it was cheaper if purchased in advance, and it was over 6 years ago. My oldest dated a guy who went to college in Boston for 2 years, she always took the Bolt bus because the cheaper tickets were always sold out (in 2013/2014). My 18 year old is going to college in Delaware, I should probably book her thanksgiving tickets now.

 

ETA the cheapest fare for November 22 is sold out, $101 to travel from DE to N.J.

Edited by mjkacmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an exercise I checked Amtrak for fares between NY and Philadelphia : Their “Saver Fare” is $44 while regular fare is $60.   They might not “increase” fares as you get closer to travel date, but you will find that the “Saver Fare” is regularly shown as “not available” for dates in the near future, while it is available for future dates.

 

So, I suppose a nit-picker can argue that the regular fare is not actually “increased” - but the fact is it costs more if you buy your ticket close to travel date because the lower “Saver Fares” are no longer available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And, there really are not “many” Pennsylvanian and Keystone Service trains between Philly and NYC - the overwhelming majority are either Northeast Regional or Acela.

And again, not sure where you're getting your facts from but there are 12-14 Keystone/Pennsylvanian departures daily in either direction out of about 40-45 daily total legs each way between Philly and NYC. I think a reasonable person would consider that "many" or at least enough, capped at $60, to offer a decent alternative to the $100+ Acela/NER trains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

And again, not sure where you're getting your facts from but there are 12-14 Keystone/Pennsylvanian departures daily in either direction out of about 40-45 daily total legs each way between Philly and NYC. I think a reasonable person would consider that "many" or at least enough, capped at $60, to offer a decent alternative to the $100+ Acela/NER trains. 

You should try to pay attention to the point of the discourse - it does not matter how many Keystone trains there are that are “CAPPED AT $60” even if it is as many as 12 out perhaps 45 total. The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of trains ARE either Northeast Regional or Acela.

 

But to remain on topic: we are talking about the cost savings by buying in advance — which still means that the $44 “Saver Fare” which is only available when purchased in advance is prefereable to a $60 capped fare - which you seem to see as the holy grail.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

But to remain on topic:

Remaining on topic would be to discuss various cost/time effective methods of getting from Philadelphia to the Manhattan cruise terminal-- not arguing the minutiae fare classes you found clicking hundreds of times through the Amtrak website today. You're oddly making this a very personal argument for some reason. The point is there are many options-- from Uber/Lyft, to car/van services, to yes, many affordable trains that run only 14 times a day, that can get you there in various combinations. 

 

We all have our preferred methods and means-- I'm going tomorrow from Philly to NYC on an Acela value fare (the saver was indeed sold out...) The original poster wanted to hear various means of getting there-- not two people beat each other up over Amtrak fares. Why don't we stop bickering and beating a dead horse-- I think there is plenty in this thread for them to make an informed decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Remaining on topic would be to discuss various cost/time effective methods of getting from Philadelphia to the Manhattan cruise terminal-- not arguing the minutiae fare classes you found clicking hundreds of times through the Amtrak website today. You're oddly making this a very personal argument for some reason. The point is there are many options-- from Uber/Lyft, to car/van services, to yes, many affordable trains that run only 14 times a day, that can get you there in various combinations. 

 

We all have our preferred methods and means-- I'm going tomorrow from Philly to NYC on an Acela value fare (the saver was indeed sold out...) The original poster wanted to hear various means of getting there-- not two people beat each other up over Amtrak fares. Why don't we stop bickering and beating a dead horse-- I think there is plenty in this thread for them to make an informed decision. 

Give it a rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 9:40 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Well perhaps a daily rider might have occasional luck, but my experience (and, apparently that of your fellow Philadelphian - Phillyguy31) is that Amtrak routinely increases prices as travel date nears. 

 

It it makes no difference if the trains are sold out or not - the lower fares, when available, are only available well in advance of ride date —- which happens to be the time frame when most cruisers would be making their travel plans anyway.

 

And, there really are not “many” Pennsylvanian and Keystone Service trains between Philly and NYC - the overwhelming majority are either Northeast Regional or Acela.

 

I have to go to Philly every year for a medical evaluation with a specialist.  I fly up the afternoon before and stay with a friend in NJ.  In the morning I take the train down to Center City.   I have looked at the cost of travel between Princeton Junction and 30th St both buying in advance and day of, and there has NEVER been a difference.  (Same when I lived in NJ and regularly took the train to Boston, Philly, DC, Albany, etc.)

 

Perhaps for the longer routes with dining cars, observatory cars, sleepers, etc.  But for the NE Corridor the fares are set and don't change.  Keep in mind that there are numerous fare buckets and when they are sold out, they are gone.  But that's a different situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ducklite said:

 

 

...

 

I have looked at the cost of travel between Princeton Junction and 30th St both buying in advance and day of, and there has NEVER been a difference.  (Same when I lived in NJ and regularly took the train to Boston, Philly, DC, Albany, etc.)

 

...

Perhaps you should “... look at the cost of travel...” a little more carefully.  I just spent a minute on the Amtrak site and saw the lowest fare from Princeton Junction to 30th Street, Philadelphia for tomorrow to be $34.   A month from now the posted “Saver Fare” for the same train is $27.  The regular fare, however remained $34.

 

Yes, the posted fares for the several categories do not go up —- but the lower “Saver Fare” disappears as travel date nears. So, yes, there is a difference.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps you should “... look at the cost of travel...” a little more carefully.  I just spent a minute on the Amtrak site and saw the lowest fare from Princeton Junction to 30th Street, Philadelphia for tomorrow to be $34.   A month from now the posted “Saver Fare” for the same train is $27.  The regular fare, however remained $34.

 

Yes, the posted fares for the several categories do not go up —- but the lower “Saver Fare” disappears as travel date nears. So, yes, there is a difference.

 

 


The fare will only disappear if the fare bucket is sold out.  It's is not a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ducklite said:


The fare will only disappear if the fare bucket is sold out.  It's is not a given.

Because it certainly tends to disappear as travel date nears (and has never been available in my experience when booking less than a week in advance) saying there is “NEVER” a difference simply does not make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because it certainly tends to disappear as travel date nears (and has never been available in my experience when booking less than a week in advance) saying there is “NEVER” a difference simply does not make sense.

 

Your experience has not been mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

saying there is “NEVER” a difference simply does not make sense.

If the possibility of losing $15 keeps you up at night, thats an entirely different conversation. The fact is that saver and value are often available the day before or same day between Philly and NYC. This entire conversation has drifted into the ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If the possibility of losing $15 keeps you up at night, thats an entirely different conversation. The fact is that saver and value are often available the day before or same day between Philly and NYC. This entire conversation has drifted into the ridiculous. 

 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, princeton123211 said:

And again, not sure where you're getting your facts from but there are 12-14 Keystone/Pennsylvanian departures daily in either direction out of about 40-45 daily total legs each way between Philly and NYC. I think a reasonable person would consider that "many" or at least enough, capped at $60, to offer a decent alternative to the $100+ Acela/NER trains. 

Refusing to accept a helpful response to the OP’s question concerning fares is ridiculous.

 

However starting to tout a $60 capped fare as a “decent alternative to the $100+  Acela/NER trains” (YOUR WORDS) while ignoring the $44 Saver Fare possible on those NER trains is beyond ridiculous.

 

I repeat my suggestion: give it up.  I have no interest in further conversation with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have no interest in further conversation with you.

Then don't-- I've repeatedly tried to get the conversation back on track and you're the one who always needs the last word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...