Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
thunter1224

Romantic AMAWaterways Danube river cruise from Vilshofen,to Budapest .

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

  We are leaving from the same airport as we will be flying back to.. maybe I can get a list from customs while we are waiting for our flight to board .. 

  Looking online I am seeing mixed postings.. some say no meats , some say no uncooked meats .. and cheese has the same thing going on..   So I may just bring back Paprika and strudel.. and maybe some wine.    

Wouldn’t the sausage go bad if not refrigerated? Seems like too much trouble. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

  We are leaving from the same airport as we will be flying back to.. maybe I can get a list from customs while we are waiting for our flight to board .. 

  Looking online I am seeing mixed postings.. some say no meats , some say no uncooked meats .. and cheese has the same thing going on..   So I may just bring back Paprika and strudel.. and maybe some wine.    

Don't do meat. I had an unfortunate incident with beef jerky I had bought at Sam's Club in the US and brought to Japan with me in my carry on and brought back home with me and got caught by that cute little blood hound. I got lucky and only got a warning and my luggage was extensively searched. I thought it would prevent me from getting my Global Entry card years later. Dried or regular meat is a no go with US Customs.

 

When in doubt if you have anything - just declare it and don't try to hide it. There are cute blood hounds out there.

 

Here is a link addressing meat:

 

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat%2C-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s. 

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Got2Cruise said:

They do not provide lunches for the long days. We take this as an opportunity to sample authentic regional foods. There  are food stands in Salzburg so you can sample a sandwich and a drink for not much money. Plus don’t forget the desserts in that region. lol. You will definitely return in time for dinner. Don’t worry about that. And, if you choose the optional excursion to a concert hall in Vienna, the dining room will be open early to accommodate the group attending the concert. You won’t go hungry. 

Rather than take the Salzburg tour we opted for the Cesky Krumlov tour which I and all others on the tour loved. Pedestrianised Medieval town, virtually intact with the second largest Castle in Bavaria. It was interesting that at dinner that night everyone was raving about Cesky Krumlov, but those that went to Salzburg were rather subdued

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeBR said:

Rather than take the Salzburg tour we opted for the Cesky Krumlov tour which I and all others on the tour loved. Pedestrianised Medieval town, virtually intact with the second largest Castle in Bavaria. It was interesting that at dinner that night everyone was raving about Cesky Krumlov, but those that went to Salzburg were rather subdued

I have only done Salzburg but absolutely loved it. My tour had 2 days in Linz and offered 3 different day tours for the 2 days - one to Salzburg, one to the Lake District in Austria and Cesky Krumlov. I wish I could have done all 3 but I have to say everyone on our ship were happy with how they chose to spend their time. I do wish I had gone to Cesky Krumlov but loved my 2 other days. I don't think there is a bad choice here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Coral said:

Don't do meat. I had an unfortunate incident with beef jerky I had bought at Sam's Club in the US and brought to Japan with me in my carry on and brought back home with me and got caught by that cute little blood hound. I got lucky and only got a warning and my luggage was extensively searched. I thought it would prevent me from getting my Global Entry card years later. Dried or regular meat is a no go with US Customs.

 

When in doubt if you have anything - just declare it and don't try to hide it. There are cute blood hounds out there.

 

Here is a link addressing meat:

 

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat%2C-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s. 

 I will stick with the spices and maybe desserts 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with your comment about Salzburg such a lovely place, could easily spend several days there.

We have found when river cruising and visiting places on route so much depends on the guide and pace of the day.

Our 1st trip to Salzburg was a rushed crowded experience with too much time spent on the sound of music stuff.

In reality it is a vibrant university town with a wonderful clean environment that is walkable and scenic especially the gardens and riverside.

Would love to return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ama offers a full day tour to Salzburg and a half day tour. We took the full day tour which also includes the tour of the lake region. Very little Sound of Music mentioned. The Austrians think the American fascination ridiculous lol. 

 

The half day tour of Salzburg is too rushed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Ama offers a full day tour to Salzburg and a half day tour. We took the full day tour which also includes the tour of the lake region. Very little Sound of Music mentioned. The Austrians think the American fascination ridiculous lol. 

 

The half day tour of Salzburg is too rushed. 

  So is it just a half day total tour, or just half the day in Salzburg and then move to another location .. but the total time is a full day ?  we still have a few weeks to pick our tours.. so now thinking maybe the 1/2 day and see more towns ..  but still would like to see the church from the movie ..  and the lake District looks nice too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

  So is it just a half day total tour, or just half the day in Salzburg and then move to another location .. but the total time is a full day ?  we still have a few weeks to pick our tours.. so now thinking maybe the 1/2 day and see more towns ..  but still would like to see the church from the movie ..  and the lake District looks nice too. 

 

If you take the full day Salzburg you’d stop at the Lake District and stay there for awhile and then continue on to Salzburg. This tour leaves in the a.m. 

The half day tours leave after lunch. So you’d spend the morning in Linz and then after lunch visit some place else. 

Everyone is back by dinner which is 7:00 pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

If you take the full day Salzburg you’d stop at the Lake District and stay there for awhile and then continue on to Salzburg. This tour leaves in the a.m. 

The half day tours leave after lunch. So you’d spend the morning in Linz and then after lunch visit some place else. 

Everyone is back by dinner which is 7:00 pm. 

 

Thank You .. I think we will go for the full day 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Does anyone that has been on this AMA cruise, know if there is a tour that goes to a concentration camp ? I know about the shoes, and the tree of life, and plan on seeing them .. but I am not sure about a camp ?

Edited by thunter1224

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...