Celebrity Infinity Internet is totally unusable.

acesneights99

No matter where in the ship I tried or used a laptop or smartphone, the Wi-Fi dropped every 2 or 3 minutes. The iLounge staff was unable to help.

We went immediately to the Eclipse and the same devices maintain connection all day long.

Waiting for some sort of response from Celebrity, apology, refund, credit. 

I had to use shore-based Internet in port to upload reports, handle email and take timed exams. Unfortunately, everything was late because I had to wait until we had a port day.

• Like 1

Surprising to hear.    I was on Infinity from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires last year and had good connectivity with the exception of just around the Horn.  Will be interesting to see as I will be on her in 3 weeks.

The connectivity was fine. It just dropped the connection to the router every few minutes. For the few minutes a session lasted it was fine. Suggests the routers were the problem.

I suggest you make sure that the problem is solved before you sail if you want a usable Internet connection.

Since all of my devices are working perfectly on the Eclipse a few days later, I conclude the Infinity was at fault. The fact that the iLounge staff couldn't fix it suggests that some equipment needs to be replaced.

These are our 13th and 14th cruises on Celebrity, so we are very familiar with the Internet on Celebrity.

Edited by acesneights99
Additionalinfo

It was everywhere on the ship. Even in the iLounge. You could try to use one of the 8 Macs in the iLounge (in the middle of the night). But I have everything I need on my Windows laptop and I have 2-factor authentication so without phone service I couldn't even use the Macs, even if I was willing to learn iOS. 

I also have a VPN for my business laptop and remote desktop access, so I was pretty much totally screwed except for going ashore and using a terrestrial Internet provider.

Eclipse is still rock solid, not a single dropped connection, instant login and one-click switching between devices.

12 hours ago, TXranchgal said:

Hope this resolves.  We have 4 weeks before we sail Trans-Atlantic and need the connection to work as promised.

Same for us on 2013 TA, but I thought it would have been upgraded by now.There was a sign in the iLounge indicating that the internet was intermittent.

As we were using our 90 free minutes for Elite Cruise Critic membership, we couldn’t get a refund.

The Infinity is only marginally attached to Celebrity. We had a Valentine's Day cruise which got moved back 6 weeks because they chartered Infinity for 6 weeks. Celebrity offered $100 OBC or a refund.

They apparently charter it out regularly for companies to have events for top people as a prize.

Spent 4 weeks on the Infinity with minimal problems.  Currently on the Eclipse now, apparently with the OP, have had connection dropped twice in 2 days..  Not a big deal for us as we don’t work while traveling. 

Just got off 9 nights- five night cruise on Infinity, followed by a four night one. The WiFi was mind numbingly  s-l-o-w. Didn’t matter where in the ship, slow. Once I finally got logged on, it took a long time for everything to load.

22 hours ago, TXranchgal said:

Hope this resolves.  We have 4 weeks before we sail Trans-Atlantic and need the connection to work as promised.

Us as well

Clients don't wait

17 hours ago, acesneights99 said:

The Infinity is only marginally attached to Celebrity. We had a Valentine's Day cruise which got moved back 6 weeks because they chartered Infinity for 6 weeks. Celebrity offered $100 OBC or a refund.

They apparently charter it out regularly for companies to have events for top people as a prize.

All of the ships get chartered and on every cruisline

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

No matter which Celebrity ship I've been on, sometimes I have had better internet in other parts of the world, than I have had in the Caribbean, including Infinity in South America.  So who knows.....

Do you consider Key West or Fort Lauderdale part of the Caribbean?

Also, the problem was not the data link to the Internet it was with the ship's routers. For the two or three minutes that the connection lasted the speed was fine and the Macs in the computer lab, which are hardwired into the network, not using the WiFi routers, were fine. EIght computers for 2000 passengers is a bit dodgy.

• 3 weeks later...

Final resolution. Celebrity says it was a perk and since we didn't pay for it, so sad, too bad.

They were deaf to the argument that we paid a higher cruise fare to get the additional perks.

Celebrity said take it up with the TA. TA said Celebrity told them we would have to contact Celebrity directly.

Celebrity blew us off after 19 cruises. So much for LOYALTY!!

I am currently on Infinity (2nd day) and the internet is working pretty well.   I have been posting lots of pictures to my live blog and am currently watching a movie on Netflix.   I've been using both my Iphone and Laptop and pleased with it.    Sorry to hear @acesneights99 had such  a negative experience.  

I agree the ship board internet is sluggish but usable for me.  Speed test for comparison purposes.  

43D6B092-BFD1-474D-AC91-BDBCDF13F3FA.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

6 minutes ago, Hi-ho-silver said:

That is not horrible at all.   Is it stable or does it drop frequently?   I will be on the TA with you next week.  I'll happily settle for that speed.

I have not had it drop once so far.  Every 24 hours I believe you get dumped and have to log back on, at least that was my experience on Silhouette.  

I have my Schwab Street Smart Edge Quote serve running since the market opened and hasn't dropped a connection today (but we are in port in Key West).   I'll update as we do the crossing.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have not had it drop once so far.  Every 24 hours I believe you get dumped and have to log back on, at least that was my experience on Silhouette.  

I have my Schwab Street Smart Edge Quote serve running since the market opened and hasn't dropped a connection today (but we are in port in Key West).   I'll update as we do the crossing.

Jim, go enjoy your cruise.  Did you notice that not a single stock moved in the US stock market today?