Escape cagneys shrimp cocktail upcharge

gizfish

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

It was, many years ago and certainly not nightly, plus the shrimp they used isn't the same as what they use in Cagney's. there are shrimps and then there is really good shrimp just like Lobster and good Lobster. 

Actually, it was every night. It was always on the "classics" menu. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

that is exactly my point. I will say it again, and again, I am not thrilled with the extra charge but I do question anyone who says "well they have it in the main dining room on such and such line" there is no similarity in the quality. I can get it at the grocery store for almost nothing but good quality, large shrimp sells for $10 a lb. Maybe some people do not care about the quality, and that is fine. we all enjoy different things in life  .  

But by paying the extra fee to eat in a specialty restaurant (when you can eat in the MDR for free) shouldn't that be enough money to cover a flipping shrimp cocktail? LOL. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tarps14 said:

We'll be boarding the Bliss this Sat so I'll try to remember to come back with the info.  I'm sure, though, there are others on ships this week that could answer the question much quicker than I can.

We disembarked the Bliss on March 2nd.  We ate twice at Cagney's and there was not an up charge for the shrimp cocktail during our week.

25 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

We disembarked the Bliss on March 2nd.  We ate twice at Cagney's and there was not an up charge for the shrimp cocktail during our week.

Maybe it is just the ala carte choice, Whatever it seems  like a lot of contradictions on this subject. The one comment or often it is more than one that gets to me, is the comment or comments posted by people who have never or only once cruised NCL. Talk about sounding like set up to turn people off, this is in your face set up. Unfortunately many here do not know who is legit and who is not. 

I understand those, including myself who have cruised NCL for years not liking some of the changes. In fact most of us have been cruising long enough that we have as many problems with changes on other lines. I just have problems with incorrect information or posts from those who have no experience with a particular line. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Oh BTW, there is no appetizer that interests me so I will order 2 sides.  The sides cost as much as the appetizer.  If this is not allowed, I will make a scene 😲

Cagney's got rid of the one appetizer I enjoy (Beet and Goat Cheese Napoleon) and many of the others I can't eat due to a shellfish allergy so I think I will do as you and get 2 sides. 

On 3/26/2019 at 1:12 AM, gizfish said:

Just a heads up as I haven't seen this on the boards...cagneys now charges $4.99 surcharge for the shrimp cocktail "trio of shrimp" when you order it on the dining plan.

A buddy of mine tried to skirt the new rule and up-charge by bringing his OWN shrimp on board in his carry-on. He said when he pulled them out at cagneys raw and asked them to steam them and place in a nice dish with some cocktail sauce the server said no problem. He ate them with the biggest grin on his face the entire 1st course along with a salad. So fast forward to the end of the meal. The server presents the check to the table..my buddy notices one of the line items on the bill states "$4.99 prep fee" he asked what that was and the waiter said...oh sir that is the new NCL charge for cooking your shrimp you brought on board!!! 

His smile turned into a frown.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, takeadip said:

A buddy of mine tried to skirt the new rule and up-charge by bringing his OWN shrimp on board in his carry-on. He said when he pulled them out at cagneys raw and asked them to steam them and place in a nice dish with some cocktail sauce the server said no problem. He ate them with the biggest grin on his face the entire 1st course along with a salad. So fast forward to the end of the meal. The server presents the check to the table..my buddy notices one of the line items on the bill states "$4.99 prep fee" he asked what that was and the waiter said...oh sir that is the new NCL charge for cooking your shrimp you brought on board!!! 

Yeah, no...

44 minutes ago, takeadip said:

BS, but funny. If they even allowed him to bring shrimp on board, they would have charged a $15 Fisherman Fee. 

I was just about to buy extra meals through the dining plan but have put that on hold,  I might as well eat in the main dining room  I AM really feeling nickeled and dimed to death by NCL and its really not even the money,  its just the way they go about it.   I booked a last minute cruise with them because I wanted to sail out of Boston,  but I will definitely be considering other lines,  I feel like I've accepted all the upcharges I want to from them.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree that this seems ridiculous. However, there are some who it seems only ate at Cagney's for the shrimp cocktail. If you are one, you were wasting your money anyway, so what's another $5?  I mean, it's thawed, pre-cooked shrimp! Three of them!  It's hardly a delicacy or a fancy prepared dish. They literally do NOTHING to it. I can't even fathom canceling a reservation because of this. Do people really go there just for 3 shrimp? I thought people went for the steak. 

Edited by LrgPizza

If serving customers three shrimp was hurting their margins, they should have simply removed it from the menu. I think the backlash wouldn’t have been so pronounced. Makes you wonder who’s making these decisions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

If serving customers three shrimp was hurting their margins, they should have simply removed it from the menu. I think the backlash wouldn’t have been so pronounced. Makes you wonder who’s making these decisions.

Wouldn’t be surprised if shrimp is the next to disappear.  That’s what happened to lobster and some of the other more expensive ingredients. When they first ditched lobster they offered as an up charge item, which imo was better than nothing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find the crab cakes made out of Krab.  It’s technically still seafood like a hotdog is technically still meat. 

Trending "likely" meant no more "Seafood Basket" specials in O'Sheehan's and demise of the "AYCE" Seafood Night in the Garden Cafe ...

What's going to become of those shrimps for Teppanyaki's Surf & #Turf & Dinner Shows - higher prices ??  Salmon is going next, me think ! 

I seemed to recall that food costs being just 6% of the cruiseline's operating expenses and being pathetic enough to do this to trim their costs & raise revenue for the corporate bottomline, just imagine what could be next, for our freestyle "convenience".   Another strike against the overall "upscale" speciality dining experience - good luck to the marketing idiots in spinning this. 

• Like 2

I think I said it earlier in the thread, but my money is on complimentary prime rib being next on the chopping block. It’s always been my tradition on the last night of my cruise to run down to an early dinner at O’Sheehan’s for a quick and completely acceptable prime rib dinner (plus baked potato and corn on the cob), then back to the room to pack. Each time I wonder if it’ll be the last. 

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, AdoraBelle said:

Hah, I've barely been cruising any time at all, and even I can remember when 

1) Lobster was included in dishes in Cagney's and LeBistro, and the Haven

2) Then lobster was an upcharge

3) Then lobster disappeared from all menus, to be replaced with shrimp

4) Now shrimp is an upcharge?

Prediction on next thing that's going to disappear: the 'complimentary' prime rib nights. The fancy steak' course of the week will be those chewy little minute steaks they serve on the buffet.

I can remember( not so long ago) when NCL was advertising on TV that Lobster was daily,  The game on board was to find where and how the lobster was being served...now you can go for 10 days and not find a lobster LOL

I was on the Bliss last week (3/16 to 3/23) and they were, in fact, charging $4.95 for shrimp at Cagney's. Sure, I could've bought ten of them if I wanted to, but out of spite, I refused. Also had to tell my 3 boys "No." We ordered the Oysters Rockafeller instead, and they were not very good at all 🙁. Have to admit, although it's a nominal charge, and I can certainly afford it, it's pretty annoying when you're sold on one thing, but then you're given something else. And yes, I know they reserve the right to change things anytime they want.

Lastly, I will say, things have certainly changed in the cruise industry over the last 20 years. I've been on over 15 cruises over my lifetime, most of them with Princess, however, I decided to give NCL a try, since Princess has been going downhill, cutting corners all over the place (at least that's my perception, going on Princess cruises since the 90's). Two years ago, we went on the Escape and had a great time! Food was really, really good, too! But I can already tell in just 2 short years, NCL is now cutting too many corners, just like Princess. As such, I will not be cruising NCL anymore. 2 is good enough for me 😀. Just need to figure out which line is next!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, slugg said:

BS, but funny. If they even allowed him to bring shrimp on board, they would have charged a $15 Fisherman Fee. 

im dying laughing at this thread...

I imagine that a post that has everyone up in arms about some shrimp is like the equivalent of 15 people picketing with poorly written signs in pencil while standing at said location in the pitch dark....Translate: we can complain about change all we want but if no one hears us then its just "chatter"