Kids Sail Free

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

KSF didn’t benefit us this time.  Found that one cabin had opened up in our sold out category, and pricing had gone up $1000 for it, and we would have lost the $175 OBC we currently have.  After repricing, or cost would have increased by about $100 after accounting for the OBC loss.

Guess that’s the downside of booking the family cabins...

So sorry it didn't work out for you...better luck next time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ashland said:

So sorry it didn't work out for you...better luck next time.

No worries.  We booked at a fair price, not expecting rates to drop.  When you are having to book a specific type of cabin,  which is already available in low numbers, and is sold out over a year in advance, there really is no negotiating.  The only other alternative would be the upgrade fairy upgrading us to a Grand Suite, and I’m fairly certain that the chance of that happening sits right in the middle between slim and none. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

No worries.  We booked at a fair price, not expecting rates to drop.  When you are having to book a specific type of cabin,  which is already available in low numbers, and is sold out over a year in advance, there really is no negotiating.  The only other alternative would be the upgrade fairy upgrading us to a Grand Suite, and I’m fairly certain that the chance of that happening sits right in the middle between slim and none. 😂

Very true...We (just the two of us) booked the Ocean View Panoramic suite (1804) on Freedom B2B for April 2021..very happy with the great price we got and since there are only two of this type category..no price drops on that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Very true...We (just the two of us) booked the Ocean View Panoramic suite (1804) on Freedom B2B for April 2021..very happy with the great price we got and since there are only two of this type category..no price drops on that.

We are booked in 7730, which is one of the family balcony cabins (we lucked out and got one of the two cabins with the really long balconies), but there are only 7 like this on Harmony.  One is accessible, four are standard shape and side balconies, and then there is 7330 and 7730 which are shaped differently, and have the super long balcony.  With 5 of us, a Grand Suite would be too much $$$, and with the ages of the kids, were worried to do 2 cabins yet.

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

We are booked in 7730, which is one of the family balcony cabins (we lucked out and got one of the two cabins with the really long balconies), but there are only 7 like this on Harmony.  One is accessible, four are standard shape and side balconies, and then there is 7330 and 7730 which are shaped differently, and have the super long balcony.  With 5 of us, a Grand Suite would be too much $$$, and with the ages of the kids, were worried to do 2 cabins yet.

Sounds like you have chosen (done) well...enjoy that balcony !!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sounds like you have chosen (done) well...enjoy that balcony !!!

It was sort of dumb luck.  If I could choose one of those cabins, I would choose 7730 or mirror image 7330.  Just so happens that when we booked our cruise, 7730 was the only one available.  If you happen to want to check it out, let us know.  We’d also like to see a JS at some point. 

We got super lucky, booked a Crown Loft with the kids sail free promo, FL resident rate, and Diamond discount for 4500.00.   We would never ever be able to book one of these cabins when other sailing were 7500 to 8,000.   So excited for this one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skyking said:

We got super lucky, booked a Crown Loft with the kids sail free promo, FL resident rate, and Diamond discount for 4500.00.   We would never ever be able to book one of these cabins when other sailing were 7500 to 8,000.   So excited for this one. 

Wow!  What cruise was that?

Edited by rimmit

I've asked this questions a few times but no one has ever had an answer beyond speculation so I am wondering if anyone has any information...

I will start by saying that on CLS and higher I have seen decent discounts as a result of KSF sales (I have two kids).  My last booking on an Owners Panoramic Suite on Oasis resulted in just over a $1,000 savings when the KSF sale hit.  However, both times the KSF has saved me money, it was an original booking made after the KSF sale went live.

I am wondering how these limited quantity and high end rooms get priced (re-priced) when the sale hits and the customer requests the promo be applied (since these rooms might be as little as a single cabin like a OPS or two cabins like a Star Loft, etc.)  If the rooms are sold out and you are one of those bookings, will their system just re-price it on the rack rate since its repricing a sold out category (which would result in a higher price almost 100% of the time) or does it take a percentage of rack rate like the sale states (50% off plus KSF, etc.)?

Seems like re-pricing a sold out category of one or two rooms (vs. one where there are several rooms still available - like a more common room type) would be something that is great for a guest but doesn't make a lot of sense from a revenue stand point for the company.  

I have always waited for KSF sales on these rooms (and been worried I would lose them in the mean time) but if they do reprice these rooms like any other on different promotions, it definitely makes sense to just book immediately regardless of the initial price and then wait for the sale.

If anyone has specific experience with this, please let us know how it worked out?

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

I've asked this questions a few times but no one has ever had an answer beyond speculation so I am wondering if anyone has any information...

I will start by saying that on CLS and higher I have seen decent discounts as a result of KSF sales (I have two kids).  My last booking on an Owners Panoramic Suite on Oasis resulted in just over a $1,000 savings when the KSF sale hit.  However, both times the KSF has saved me money, it was an original booking made after the KSF sale went live.

I am wondering how these limited quantity and high end rooms get priced (re-priced) when the sale hits and the customer requests the promo be applied (since these rooms might be as little as a single cabin like a OPS or two cabins like a Star Loft, etc.)  If the rooms are sold out and you are one of those bookings, will their system just re-price it on the rack rate since its repricing a sold out category (which would result in a higher price almost 100% of the time) or does it take a percentage of rack rate like the sale states (50% off plus KSF, etc.)?

Seems like re-pricing a sold out category of one or two rooms (vs. one where there are several rooms still available - like a more common room type) would be something that is great for a guest but doesn't make a lot of sense from a revenue stand point for the company.  

I have always waited for KSF sales on these rooms (and been worried I would lose them in the mean time) but if they do reprice these rooms like any other on different promotions, it definitely makes sense to just book immediately regardless of the initial price and then wait for the sale.

If anyone has specific experience with this, please let us know how it worked out?

Thanks.

I was actually going to ask then same thing. Can i reprice if the category is sold out? 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Call and ask.  It has happened in the past.  

The question though is more about how to best bargain shop.  So if its after the fact and it doesn't work, its not the best strategy.

I haven't been able to fine a TA that could answer with certainty nor have I ever had good experience with calling RC directly about almost anything...

Edited by jgoodm

3 hours ago, Deseo1578 said:

I was actually going to ask then same thing. Can i reprice if the category is sold out? 

My most recent experience didn’t work out any better for a sold out cabin category.  If all of the cabins are sold out, I wouldn’t think there is a reason to reprice that same category if no more are to be sold.  Would only make sense to reprice them if there are cancellations opening up several of them.  But, I’m not a TA....

7 hours ago, jgoodm said:

The question though is more about how to best bargain shop.  So if its after the fact and it doesn't work, its not the best strategy.

I haven't been able to fine a TA that could answer with certainty nor have I ever had good experience with calling RC directly about almost anything...

It doesn't matter what your strategy is amd how to best bargain shop.

The fact remains that the only way to find out if you are eligible for a price drop on a sold out category is to call Royal and ask for the current price.

There  have been cases where people have posted that they have received a price drop on a category that only had one cabin in it.

6 hours ago, A2Mich said:

My most recent experience didn’t work out any better for a sold out cabin category.  If all of the cabins are sold out, I wouldn’t think there is a reason to reprice that same category if no more are to be sold.  Would only make sense to reprice them if there are cancellations opening up several of them.  But, I’m not a TA....

Royal maintains a base price for the cabins even if a category is sold out.  That way of the cabin comes back to inventory there is a price they can associate with it.  

There are 2 kinds of price drops that can occur,

First, there is a price drop that happens as a result of lack of sales.  A sold out cabin may or may not be subject to this drop as those can be applied by category or could be applied to the cruise as a whole.  Price increases could also be applied the same way.

Second,  there is a price drop that is due to a promotion change such as going from 50% off the second guest to 30% off the first  two guests or a kids sail free. A sold out category would be subject to this change as it is applied globally to all categories.

It all depends on timing of when you booked and what increases/decreases have happened since you booked

As I mentioned above there have been reported cases where people did get a drop on a sold out cabin.  The one that comes to mind was John’s price drop on the Roysl Suite.

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal maintains a base price for the cabins even if a category is sold out.  That way of the cabin comes back to inventory there is a price they can associate with it.  

There are 2 kinds of price drops that can occur,

First, there is a price drop that happens as a result of lack of sales.  A sold out cabin may or may not be subject to this drop as those can be applied by category or could be applied to the cruise as a whole.  Price increases could also be applied the same way.

Second,  there is a price drop that is due to a promotion change such as going from 50% off the second guest to 30% off the first  two guests or a kids sail free. A sold out category would be subject to this change as it is applied globally to all categories.

It all depends on timing of when you booked and what increases/decreases have happened since you booked

As I mentioned above there have been reported cases where people did get a drop on a sold out cabin.  The one that comes to mind was John’s price drop on the Roysl Suite.

Good information.  It does still seem odd, from a corporate POV to apply price drops even to sold out cabin categories, though.  I was rather surprised to hear that our cabin category had increased $1000 with the sailing date still 13 months out, but will keep checking.

So , although jr suites are sold out in my ship , today pricing was better (could not really see the price) but based on the offer free kids, 50% off second passenger and instead of 150 instant reduction it was 300 I was able to reprice , so booking is now 150 less. I believe that answers if you can still re-price even if cat is not available online anymore. Happy person right now as I originally had booked the jr suite in 4,055 and now are at 3,590 after several re-pricings.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Second,  there is a price drop that is due to a promotion change such as going from 50% off the second guest to 30% off the first  two guests or a kids sail free. 

Any idea what the next promotion will be after this 50% off ends?

TIA! :-)