Cruise Critic Community
1sttimecruisee

Onboard Divina anytime between May 5 & May 12 2019?

Hi everyone,

I have my 2nd ever cruise coming up in just over 5 weeks onboard Divina and will be travelling solo. My only other cruise was with Celebrity in December. We had an extremely active Roll Call so I got chatting to many people pre cruise and met up with many of them throughout our cruise. The fact that Roll Calls are pretty much non-existent for MSC Mediterranean sailings due to embarkation & debarkation at each port, I am more than a little nervous that it will be a lonely affair.

Will anyone be onboard during the above dates at all? If not, are MSC ships generally a social affair? I pretty much travel solo all the time but have to admit I am a little daunted by the lack of interaction with other passengers before boarding.

Many thanks for any insight.

Andy

Roll calls moribund or non-existent not because of boarding at every port, but mostly because most of the guests will be from Europe and CC is not big there.  Many will not speak English.  It's a whole 'nother world...EM

To 1sttimecruisee - welcome from me/us.  In fact this will be our first cruise but not yours I believe. I/we join the cruise in Valencia on May 2nd and so will have had a couple of days of getting lost and perhaps starving too by the time you arrive.  I put we/I because my other half may not want to join me on the tours and travels I'll get up to.  So who knows, we may even meet up - no idea on nationalities on board but we are Brits (healthy and active but perhaps to you elderly at 65/70) and welcome you colonials back to the cradle of civilisation.  By all means message me if you want to and we'll see how it goes.  This is my first CC roll call visit so no idea if it works effectively.  Whatever, I wish you an excellent cruise - how was your first one, presumably ok if you are doing a second?

oops - I see you are not colonial but from Bristol but that notwithstanding everything applies.  I suppose I was caught out by the comment that Cruise Critic seemed to be American and under-utilised by Europeans.

1 hour ago, Heliopolis said:

To 1sttimecruisee - welcome from me/us.  In fact this will be our first cruise but not yours I believe. I/we join the cruise in Valencia on May 2nd and so will have had a couple of days of getting lost and perhaps starving too by the time you arrive.  I put we/I because my other half may not want to join me on the tours and travels I'll get up to.  So who knows, we may even meet up - no idea on nationalities on board but we are Brits (healthy and active but perhaps to you elderly at 65/70) and welcome you colonials back to the cradle of civilisation.  By all means message me if you want to and we'll see how it goes.  This is my first CC roll call visit so no idea if it works effectively.  Whatever, I wish you an excellent cruise - how was your first one, presumably ok if you are doing a second?

Hi Heliopolis, 

Great to hear from you. 

Yes, my first cruise was great. It will be good to be slightly nearer to home without so much travelling as SE Asia requires! 

Glad to see we will get 4 days together onboard. Hope we can arrange to meet up. 

Thanks

Andy

Thanks for prompt reply - our age hasn't put you off!  Wow SE Asia - last winter I was land-based in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam for 4 months.  So we have similar experiences to compare/contrast.

I assume this is public so I must find out if there is a PRIVATE messaging facility.

13 minutes ago, Heliopolis said:

Thanks for prompt reply - our age hasn't put you off!  Wow SE Asia - last winter I was land-based in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam for 4 months.  So we have similar experiences to compare/contrast.

I assume this is public so I must find out if there is a PRIVATE messaging facility.

Sounds like a great adventure!

Feel free to email me at ancoombe at hotmail dot com. 

59 minutes ago, Heliopolis said:

Sorry, make that dot co dot uk, not com! 

We’re on Divina the week before you, we’ll be disembarking on the 5th. 

I started a roll call a while ago and only one person has posted on it besides me lol

This is our our first time on MSC but we’ve been cruising for over 25 years. 

I was hoping for a more active roll call too!

I plan on posting some live updates on the boards here throughout our cruise so if you have any questions for us or if you’d like me to photograph anything specific on the ship I’ll try to post responses when I can!

6 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I started a roll call a while ago and only one person has posted on it besides me lol

I plan on posting some live updates on the boards here throughout our cruise so if you have any questions for us or if you’d like me to photograph anything specific on the ship I’ll try to post responses when I can!

Hi,

I started a Roll Call for our sailing too. The only activity was an auto post! 

Thanks very much. I will keep my beady eyes open. 

Have a great cruise! 

On 4/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, styles27 said:

Hi, pics of the menus in the specialty restaurants please..especially the cut down menu that Black members get, would be appreciated. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Hi, pics of the menus in the specialty restaurants please..especially the cut down menu that Black members get, would be appreciated. Thanks. 

This is the  Butcher’s steak house menu 

685BFD5D-EF1E-43E5-AB31-F80B74A00734.jpeg

09CC6DE5-3655-42AF-B047-59AC2BF07DC1.jpeg

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

This is the  Butcher’s steak house menu 

685BFD5D-EF1E-43E5-AB31-F80B74A00734.jpeg

09CC6DE5-3655-42AF-B047-59AC2BF07DC1.jpeg

Thanks, so Butchers Cut is already up and running on Divina? That is excellent!

20 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks, so Butchers Cut is already up and running on Divina? That is excellent!

Yes it appears to be. We haven’t eaten there yet but we saw people in there last night. You’re welcome...I will try to get the other menus tonight!

So far we’re loving our first MSC cruise! Staff is phenomenal!

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Yes it appears to be. We haven’t eaten there yet but we saw people in there last night. You’re welcome...I will try to get the other menus tonight!

So far we’re loving our first MSC cruise! Staff is phenomenal!

Thanks!  I have tried it on another ship and it was excellent!

Next weird question - can you ask in the bars whether they serve Sherry on board - it is usually listed in the drinks menu next to the Port?

I have friends who live in Tiverton RI!  Beautiful views!

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Thanks for the update and menu pics.  Could you take a picture of the Butcher's Cut restaurant decor, I'm hoping they updated the tables, seating etc....  I assume Galaxy restaurant is still sushi?

On 4/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, little britain said:

Next weird question - can you ask in the bars whether they serve Sherry on board - it is usually listed in the drinks menu next to the Port?

Tiverton is beautiful!  One of my favorite restaurants is there it’s  called the The  Boat House!

I will ask about Sherry!

On 4/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, Até said:

Thanks for the update and menu pics.  Could you take a picture of the Butcher's Cut restaurant decor, I'm hoping they updated the tables, seating etc....  I assume Galaxy restaurant is still sushi?

Sure will do. I haven’t seen the Galaxy restaurant yet. Does Divina have one of those?  

The ship is huge we’re getting lost still and it’s our 4th day on board.  lol 

I will take some restaurant pics for you!

On 4/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, little britain said:

I took a picture of the drink menu for you 4DB9342D-8F2B-4B83-931D-54834AAFD531.thumb.jpeg.798db14d09a19beda06312a1edc9e922.jpegD86F775D-95A8-467B-BFE9-35B4BEF60D57.thumb.jpeg.be14109963371459e6c78661a5504496.jpegE2B0F098-12E8-446F-B24B-6C9E08104640.thumb.jpeg.3c6a3cc34295acfbd2788caa95863da0.jpegbut this is the one in the Top Sail Lounge in the Yacht Club area so I’m not sure if all of the bars offer the same. 

B5191EA6-5B8F-4F3E-A0DF-8D7FA2E739C1.jpeg

3308CBA2-6C21-4A05-9C1B-5118DC90B7C6.jpeg

7B1374DC-C1C8-417F-994D-E2C6EF30011D.jpeg

61715331-3FCA-4A00-8C9D-94039243E6BE.jpeg

22B27C55-25B1-4C09-9A07-77E00C43F0F8.jpeg

C1DAF5E5-2533-4675-BA56-F9D2F0452232.jpeg

7E9D13E9-24E7-43BC-AE38-4B689F0C7386.jpeg

Thanks, but this is definitely a different menu.

The “house hooch “ whiskey is Bells and there is no mention of that, and the gin is usually Beefeaters.  I think you are on the classier stuff in YC!   Strange there is no port though? 

@styles27 - I've just seen a pic from someone else and it is listed under the Liqueurs section - your pic doesn't show the last line ... so panic over and mother will be happy!!  Off to buy the drinks package now! Thanks again.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!