Astonishing

alija1960

Wouldn't say it was rubbish, like quite a few here, but 'astonishing' is certainly an overstatement.  It's OK, and quite a change from the usual Headliners productions.

Somewhat over-hyped, certainly, but the video wall's good, with some good special effects and some excellent bits.

The card trick's ridiculous, though - just pure, cold, logic. A few other tricks you'll probably have seen before.

Its on Azura tonight and its not with Stephen Mulhern its written by Stephen Mulhern and Jonny wilks so if your expecting to see Stephen Mulhern unless he is making a guest apperance your going to be dissapointed

Edited by clarkttopcat

2 hours ago, clarkttopcat said:

Its on Azura tonight and its not with Stephen Mulhern its written by Stephen Mulhern and Jonny wilks so if your expecting to see Stephen Mulhern unless he is making a guest apperance your going to be dissapointed

Hadn't heard of, or seen, either of them when we saw Astonishing.  After seeing whichever one of them appeared on the video wall, though, I wouldn't want to repeat the experience!

The show itself was OK though, despite his appearance.

5 hours ago, clarkttopcat said:

They both turn up in person to the premiere on each ship, and Stephen Mulhern did a Q&A with the Entertainment Manager and both he and Johnathon Wilkes came on stage after the show. After the premier on each ship it’s just Mulhern on the video wall. 

It was on Britannia last summer and although I wasn't interested in seeing it I was persuaded by other guests who had.  I didn't get to see any of it as the music was so loud for the introduction that I had to get up and walk out. 

23 hours ago, purplesea said:

It was on Britannia last summer and although I wasn't interested in seeing it I was persuaded by other guests who had.  I didn't get to see any of it as the music was so loud for the introduction that I had to get up and walk out. 

I completely agree. Just seen it on Azura and the sound was ridiclous. Totally spoilt it

I too thought that the music for Astonishing was too loud. But this is often the case when I go to music gigs ashore as well. I wonder whether a lot of sound engineers have developed partial hearing loss over the years, so that a sound level that seems comfortable to them is actually too loud for most people. Or it could just be that they're a lot younger than me and that younger people seem to like their music louder.

Saw Agonising..., (Sorry, Astonishing) on Britannia last year. Was not sure if the volume was too loud, but the screeching was unbearable. 

We found it a total waste of time, I am surprised it is proving so popular.

I feel for the cast as they obviously work hard creating a bit of a fiasco.

Andy

Saw Astonishing last week on Britannia and thought apart from the card trick was a good show and a bit different than normal P&O standards and didnt think the sound was loud or any different than any of the shows so it must vary ship by ship.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Saw Astonishing last week on Britannia and thought apart from the card trick was a good show and a bit different than normal P&O standards and didnt think the sound was loud or any different than any of the shows so it must vary ship by ship.

I saw it on Britannia, but in fairness it was early days, but didn't rate it at all, terribly screechy.

The only part we enjoyed was the card 'trick' even though it was a bit obvious.

Andy

Selbourne I am one of the people who 'stupidly' sit at the end of the row.  I am a fit and healthy looking 43 year old and yet I have a health problem that means I have to sometimes urgently get back to the cabin.  I will always happily move aside to let people get to seats in the row but by sitting on the end of the row it means that if and when I need to get out I can do so easily, quickly and without disturbing anyone.  Might be worth taking a few moments to consider why people choose to do certain things before labelling them in such a way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sleeptastic said:

Selbourne I am one of the people who 'stupidly' sit at the end of the row.  I am a fit and healthy looking 43 year old and yet I have a health problem that means I have to sometimes urgently get back to the cabin.  I will always happily move aside to let people get to seats in the row but by sitting on the end of the row it means that if and when I need to get out I can do so easily, quickly and without disturbing anyone.  Might be worth taking a few moments to consider why people choose to do certain things before labelling them in such a way.

I fully appreciate that, for some people (such as yourself) this is necessary and apologies if I caused offence, but it happens at both ends of every row and I very much doubt that the same can be said for every one of those people. Clearly people can sit wherever they like (and I suspect that some sit at the end of the row to beat a hasty retreat mid-show if it's poor!) but I am always amused at those who sit at the end of an empty row and then make a real fuss (or won't stand) when others try to access the dozens of empty seats that they are blocking access to (designated disabled seats excluded, of course).

• Like 1

Selbourne - I do agree and on the same theme even more annoying is when people leave 1 seat between them and the next people when they take their seats, which means there are single spaces all over the theatre. I appreciate that they have arrived in plenty of time and have a choice of seats but it is very selfish to others who then have to sit rows apart. We always arrive in plenty of time as I want to sit with my partner, however we never leave an empty seat if there are others already seated.

56 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

People have freedom of choice to sit wherever they want and whatever seats are available.

Quite correct, but those who choose to sit in aisle seats should be willing and able to allow other people to pass them without delay.

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I fully appreciate that, for some people (such as yourself) this is necessary and apologies if I caused offence, but it happens at both ends of every row and I very much doubt that the same can be said for every one of those people. Clearly people can sit wherever they like (and I suspect that some sit at the end of the row to beat a hasty retreat mid-show if it's poor!) but I am always amused at those who sit at the end of an empty row and then make a real fuss (or won't stand) when others try to access the dozens of empty seats that they are blocking access to (designated disabled seats excluded, of course).

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite correct, but those who choose to sit in aisle seats should be willing and able to allow other people to pass them without delay.

I tend to sit at the end of a row, to enable me to leave the theatre promptly at the end of a show.

However, we always get up quickly and without fuss to let people into the row.

There is  good reason for sitting at the end of the row. One thing I find a bit annoying is, at the end of the show, people just sit there, and make no attempt to leave the theatre. Several times we've been trapped in a row, with the people around us making no sign of moving.  I appreciate that we're on holiday and there's no need to rush, but some of them just aren't going to move.  After a while, we stand up and give them a hint that it's time to go, but often they still sit there, and give dirty looks for us wanting to go.

Sitting at the end of a row avoids this particular scenario. 

6 hours ago, miniyorkie said:

Selbourne - I do agree and on the same theme even more annoying is when people leave 1 seat between them and the next people when they take their seats, which means there are single spaces all over the theatre. I appreciate that they have arrived in plenty of time and have a choice of seats but it is very selfish to others who then have to sit rows apart. We always arrive in plenty of time as I want to sit with my partner, however we never leave an empty seat if there are others already seated.

We had three holidays at Disney World in the 90's, and when filling up a theatre or auditorium, cast members would be on hand to tell every one not to leave spaces.  I sometimes think that's needed on P&O 

Our Disney training has stayed with us, and we are careful about not leaving gaps