Cruise Critic Community
christydore

Wifi on the Horizon ?

Just now, Saint Greg said:

It's supposed to be the same as vista and vista's wifi is beastly.

Beastly in a good way 🤣

That's good btw. I was streaming youtube TV the entire cruise...all over the ship...uploading videos...everything.

also the TVs were a lot better and the ship cam quality was so good I think an inside room may be just as good as an ocean view. 

I was on the Horizon transatlantic last May, and even in the middle of the ocean the wifi was good.  I didn’t buy the premium plan, just the regular plan and it was fine for email and web surfing.  I didn’t try streaming.  I was very pleasantly surprised, and I thought the price was OK also.

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It's supposed to be the same as vista and vista's wifi is beastly.

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That's good btw. I was streaming youtube TV the entire cruise...all over the ship...uploading videos...everything.

After the horrendous wifi aboard the Glory last year, I feel like I need to take advantage of this just because. I don't even care to use it that much on a cruise, but if it's that good, I might have to find reasons to use it. LOL

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

After the horrendous wifi aboard the Glory last year, I feel like I need to take advantage of this just because. I don't even care to use it that much on a cruise, but if it's that good, I might have to find reasons to use it. LOL

I’m going the other direction. Vista to Glory is going to be such an adjustment. I remember on Freedom I went three days without being able to upload a photo.

This is from their FAQ's: We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price! Our ships feature awesome internet plans.

I guess that means they've finished upgrading the rest of the fleet? If so, I wonder if it's all as good as Vista class. Maybe you'll luck out.

If I tell my son it's good enough to stream YouTube, he'll buy the Premium plan himself and never leave his room. Might have to keep that on the down low.

I was on the Breeze a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I had the premium plan and was able to use WiFi Calling on my phone to use my phone exactly as I would on land (I was traveling solo so it was nice to keep in touch with folks back home). 

8 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

This is from their FAQ's: We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price! Our ships feature awesome internet plans.

I guess that means they've finished upgrading the rest of the fleet? If so, I wonder if it's all as good as Vista class. Maybe you'll luck out.

If I tell my son it's good enough to stream YouTube, he'll buy the Premium plan himself and never leave his room. Might have to keep that on the down low.

I hope it’s been done for all ships but I kind of doubt it happened on the entire fleet without hearing about it here. I remember when they did vista and horizon. It was discussed here. JH was talking about it. They installed access points all over the ships including all cabins so it’s not something they could do quietly. It’s a job.

F97CCF60-C1C6-4009-9B11-A015CAFAAAF8.thumb.jpeg.3531561a4d0f9ba5946b9781744d390c.jpeg3EF0F637-9ECC-4634-BEB2-AF17BC78853D.thumb.jpeg.cf17cff59babe85caa3b8a29ca0922a0.jpegF8537CA0-BE17-41F5-994A-7E4BEA452C05.thumb.jpeg.f172594be04f097abda6ea1dc4e661ff.jpeg

Horizon is much better than some of the non upgraded ships....

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Horizon is much better than some of the non upgraded ships....

But of the older ships that have been upgraded, is there any word on if it's as good as Vista class? Or is that what you mean?

Edited by Organized Chaos

50 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

But of the older ships that have been upgraded, is there any word on if it's as good as Vista class? Or is that what you mean?

I was really just referencing that we experienced the upgraded internet on the Horizon as a point of reference, and the tit is significantly faster then what Carnival has/had on ships prior.  I really do not follow the Carnival upgrade plans for this.

Alrighty then. I really wasn't asking if anyone followed the upgrade plans (I'm not sure what that means). So has anyone experienced the quality of the Vista class wifi as well as any of the older ships that have now been fitted with the upgraded wifi? Just curious if it will all be comparable to Vista class.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Alrighty then. I really wasn't asking if anyone followed the upgrade plans (I'm not sure what that means). So has anyone experienced the quality of the Vista class wifi as well as any of the older ships that have now been fitted with the upgraded wifi? Just curious if it will all be comparable to Vista class.

I will type slower and clarify then:  follow the upgade plans meant I do not know which ships have been upgraded and which have not.  My comment on the Horizon meant that I had experienced it there (and on Vista) and it was aignificantly faster.  When ships are upgraded (see my first point above) they will have the same upgraded system as has been deployed on Vista class.   

Edited by jimbo5544

Nice to know the internet works well on the Horizon.

3 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

Nice to know the internet works well on the Horizon.

Better than I was hoping for, could actually facetime.  

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will type slower and clarify then:  follow the upgade plans meant I do not know which ships have been upgraded and which have not.  My comment on the Horizon meant that I had experienced it there (and on Vista) and it was aignificantly faster.  When ships are upgraded (see my first point above) they will uave the same upgraded system as has been deployed on Vista class.   

I'd tell you what I think about that first little comment, but you'd just whine about name-calling and CC rule breaking. I've also made it clear that I'm not impressed or intimidated by the holier-than-thou attitudes around here. Saint Greg already explained what the wifi was capable of on Vista class, so I knew it was better than the old wifi that hadn't been upgraded yet. Like I said, for the third time, that's not what I was asking. But don't let that take away your opportunity to show off.

30 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'd tell you what I think about that first little comment, but you'd just whine about name-calling and CC rule breaking. I've also made it clear that I'm not impressed or intimidated by the holier-than-thou attitudes around here. Saint Greg already explained what the wifi was capable of on Vista class, so I knew it was better than the old wifi that hadn't been upgraded yet. Like I said, for the third time, that's not what I was asking. But don't let that take away your opportunity to show off.

I actually reached out with an olive branch, but I can see I wasted my time.  If you do not my posts, you can always ignore them.   My original comment was for everyone (hard to believe I guess).  If tou want to play hardball, I can be your huckleberry (it is a movie reference, but easy to find).  Your call.  

Can anyone help clarify what is meant by "only one device can be connected at a time"?  We will have 2 cabins with 4 of us total and I'm not sure if I'd need to purchase 1 (per cruise), 2 (1 per cabin), or 4 (1 per person).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jcornell said:

Can anyone help clarify what is meant by "only one device can be connected at a time"?  We will have 2 cabins with 4 of us total and I'm not sure if I'd need to purchase 1 (per cruise), 2 (1 per cabin), or 4 (1 per person).

One device can be logged into each plan at a time. For someone else to log in, you have to log off. You decide how many plans you need.

Edited by Saint Greg

For our Horizon cruise it said with the premium wifi you can watch Netflix. That surprised me but I bought it.  Can anyone confirm that you can sign into your netflix account either on the TV or your phone or tablet. 

I just got off Horizon a few days ago. I didn’t purchase a WiFi package but talked to lots of people who did.  I heard nothing but good things about it. Around 80 of us did a Pub Crawl during the cruise. People took lots of pictures during the crawl and these pictures were showing up on Facebook shortly after they were taken. 

Where are the comments that "I disconnect from my phone on vacation?"

Glad to hear Carnival is at least moving towards a decent option here. Bummed to see it is taking so long and the current plan for most of the fleet seemed to just involve charging more to have less people buy it.