Cruise Critic Community
canadianont

Upper Birth

We recently 'downgraded' for our summer sailing on the Edge from Ocean View to Ocean View Guarantee....reason being is we were already booked in the lowest class OV cabin and saved $1,500.00 by downgrading to the Guarantee category.  Surprisingly, our room has already been assigned (we don't sail until July!).  The deck plan shows that our room has "1 upper birth".  There are 3 of us in the cabin.  Does the "upper birth" mean that there is no option to make the couch in to the bed for the third person (as has happened on all of the other Celebrity ships).  We are travelling with my 70 year old mother and getting her in to that upper birth may be a challenge!  🙂

If the room has a max capacity of 4, then the sofa can sleep one. The upper berth can be for the fourth person. We upgraded from a room with upper berth for 4 to a Concierge that does not have upper berth.

If you have a choice, always take the lower over the upper so you can exit the canal first. 

9 hours ago, canadianont said:

We are travelling with my 70 year old mother and getting her in to that upper birth may be a challenge!  🙂

I cannot help you with getting Dear Mum into the upper berth. Now if it were to be dear MiL I have a lot of suggestions how that could be acheived.😈😈

PS. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it would be about  giving birth to twins in the cabin.😊

once you are assigned you can call and switch to another cabin in the same category .

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

once you are assigned you can call and switch to another cabin in the same category .

That is excellent. I am going to try that as I have an inside v/s inside guarantee, and if it saves me money, I'll make the move. Thanks for the info.

Assuming that this cabin's upper berth is in the ceiling, why not just plan to use the sofa for one person, and ask the cabin attendant to leave the upper berth in the ceiling.

6 minutes ago, Mytravellove said:

That is excellent. I am going to try that as I have an inside v/s inside guarantee, and if it saves me money, I'll make the move. Thanks for the info.

you never know where they will put you but nice that they will switch us within the assigned category on request.

11 hours ago, canadianont said:

We recently 'downgraded' for our summer sailing on the Edge from Ocean View to Ocean View Guarantee....reason being is we were already booked in the lowest class OV cabin and saved $1,500.00 by downgrading to the Guarantee category.  Surprisingly, our room has already been assigned (we don't sail until July!).  The deck plan shows that our room has "1 upper birth".  There are 3 of us in the cabin.  Does the "upper birth" mean that there is no option to make the couch in to the bed for the third person (as has happened on all of the other Celebrity ships).  We are travelling with my 70 year old mother and getting her in to that upper birth may be a challenge!  🙂

If it was my mother, I would take the upper berth and give my mother one of the beds. 

11 hours ago, canadianont said:

The deck plan shows that our room has "1 upper birth".  There are 3 of us in the cabin.  Does the "upper birth" mean that there is no option to make the couch in to the bed for the third person (as has happened on all of the other Celebrity ships).  We are travelling with my 70 year old mother and getting her in to that upper birth may be a challenge!  🙂

1. When referring to ship cabins, it's "berth" not "birth."  😉

2.  If the deck plan shows max 3 people in the cabin, then no, the couch doesn't convert if there's an upper berth.

3.  You can try to change to another cabin in the same category, but be advised that with a guarantee, it could change again.

4.  If you end up with 2 beds an an upper berth, the obvious choice is you give your mother one of the beds and you  or your spouse (or whoever the 3rd person is) take the upper berth.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If it was my mother, I would take the upper berth and give my mother one of the beds. 

More or less that is what I did on our Med cruise two years ago.

I took the upper berth, while wife  and MIL took the two lower beds.  Just had to bump my head once at the beginning of the cruise to remember to keep my head down while climbing up the ladder.  🙂

14 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

1. When referring to ship cabins, it's "berth" not "birth."  😉

2.  If the deck plan shows max 3 people in the cabin, then no, the couch doesn't convert if there's an upper berth.

3.  You can try to change to another cabin in the same category, but be advised that with a guarantee, it could change again.

4.  If you end up with 2 beds an an upper berth, the obvious choice is you give your mother one of the beds and you  or your spouse (or whoever the 3rd person is) take the upper berth.

Haha yes indeed berth instead of birth.  Let's hope we don't give "birth" on board......given we are a same sex couple that would be a small miracle!!!  🙂

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Assuming that this cabin's upper berth is in the ceiling, why not just plan to use the sofa for one person, and ask the cabin attendant to leave the upper berth in the ceiling.

Wasn't sure if the cabin's listed as having the upper berth only had the upper berth - since the paperwork says the cabin only sleeps 3.

16 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

I cannot help you with getting Dear Mum into the upper berth. Now if it were to be dear MiL I have a lot of suggestions how that could be acheived.😈😈

PS. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it would be about  giving birth to twins in the cabin.😊

Ha ha yes small typo there that causes some confusion.

Quick update.....I was told by one Celebrity rep that the Edge does not have any upper berths in any cabins - all sofa beds.....however another rep told me that it did, so not sure what to believe.  The good news is that while the deck plan showed the cabin we've been assigned as having an upper berth, both reps I spoke with said this is not the case and that the room has a sofa bed!!!

....sorry for the typo with birth and berth.....I can guarantee we will no be having a birth on board!!!  🙂

Glad to know you’re so good natured about the funny typo. When I saw the thread title last night, I just couldn’t resist posting, keeping in mind forum rules prohibit making fun of spelling mistakes. I tried to be so subtle in my post!

Have a great cruise. And for fun maybe you should plan a night onboard where you reenact a fake birthing scene in your multiple berth stateroom!