Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gillyg

Southampton hotel pre cruise recommendations

Recommended Posts

 

Any perception of the Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbor  Hotel?

The First Mate has her eye on that one (or the Southampton Harbour Hotel, but due to obvious differences I'd like to please hear from some experienced visitors).

As a mentor once told me, "There is no substitute for personal reconnaissance. (He was talking about his experience on the beaches at Normandy, but I got the point!)

Edited by BiggDawg
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An additional question, please:

Which hotels do have a proper, always working porter service?

I am asking for an elderly lady, who totally depends on somebody taking care of her (huge amount of) luggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Southampton Harbour Hotel. Our stay could not have been more different that the previous poster. We always used to stay at the Grand Harbour but the new hotel is simply streets ahead in terms of service and hardware.

have also stayed at the Aegis Rose Bowl Hilton, which is ok but right out in the sticks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to a function at the Southampton Harbour Hotel  a couple of weeks ago. It looked beautiful and for a Saturday evening there were loads of staff around in the reception area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have stayed at the Southampton Harbour Hotel several times now: it has always been extremely comfortable, with exceptional service and excellent breakfast - and bar meals.They take us to the terminal if asked and have given us lots of extras - champagne and chocolates when celebrating. 

 

We highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree a little more info is needed. It really depends on who you are, what your budget is and what you are looking for. 

 

Just FYI for those that would prefer to spend a (another) night in London, it really isn’t that far on the train to Southampton Central from either Waterloo or Clapham Junction. Trains are frequent too. 

 

As I say this, I fully appreciate that many people would never recommend a (another) night in London!!! 

Edited by AspirationalFlyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked Jury’s Inn based on great Trip Advisor reviews . Havn’t stayed there yet .

Any opinions ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only driven round it, it is in the middle of a roundabout. It also suffers from being across the parks from the main shopping and entertainment centre of Southampton.

Having said that, my son (now 23) would say that it is excellently placed for easy access to the two premier Indian food venues for those wanting a curry after midnight (with or without having consumed a good amount of alcohol).

 

None of the hotels in Southampton are located in areas right on top of the retail and entertainment part of the city, none offer the ability to walk out of the front door and locate somewhere to shop or eat within a few paces. They are all a short walk away from such areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, MCC retired said:

We booked Jury’s Inn based on great Trip Advisor reviews . Havn’t stayed there yet .

Any opinions ?

We also booked Jurys.  Any opinions from someone who has stayed there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want atmosphere and history I would suggest The Juniper Berry.  It is convenient to the downtown shops , yet off of the beaten bath.  A quick cab ride will take you to the Port. The owner is very nice and informative.  This is not modern, like I said, but a real touch of England.  We always book it thru AirBNB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stay a lot in a Southampton having got the cruise bug and our son chose to go to University here.  (A great choice as we come down from Yorkshire to visit and add a little cruise here or there!)

 

We have stayed at the following hotels, (we sometimes drive but I prefer to get the train)

 

Travelodge Southampton (not to be confused with the new Travelodge Southampton Central), was dreadful, noise from the traffic, basic and dirty and it is on the outskirts of town.  I would never book here again.  However this was in 2016 so it may be different now.

 

Days Inn Rowham Southampton - I do a lot of travelling for work and got a free night stay with my points.  It is a couple of miles outside Southampton on the M27 located at the motorway service station.  It was fine for the night if you are on a budget, we ate at the services the following morning and were at the port in 15 minutes.

 

Premier Inn Southampton City Centre - Next to Solent University across from the park.  Nice hotel with a restaurant, near to the train station but limited parking.  Twenty minute walk to the High Street, West Quay And Marlands Shopping Centre and taxi to the port is about £6

 

Jury Inns - Nice hotel, limited parking, taxi from train station was £5.  My husband rates this the best hotel we have stayed in so far.  It is at the top of the park next to Solent University’s new sports building but in walking distance of the High Street and shopping centres.  It is surrounded by roads, but soundproofed and adequate pedestrian crossings.

 

Ibis Hotel - Directly across the road from the train station so no taxi needed if you only have one suitcase to pull.  Clean rooms, good breakfasts and if you order a taxi to get to the port you order by room number and wait in the reception seating area and the driver comes in gets you.  Last time we were there Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were going out the same day, so there were a few cruisers which added to the atmosphere.  It is also next to TGI Fridays, McDonalds and there is a Boots and Wilko’s for those last minute purchases.  You can walk to John Lewis and West Quay in 10-15 minutes.  Parking is £10 per night right outside the hotel and we have never had a problem finding a space.

 

Ibis Budget Hotel (next door to the Ibis). Extremely basic as someone above posted like a youth hostel and for the sake of a couple of pounds you would be better off in the Ibis next door.

 

Juniper Berry Pub - We booked late and because the Boat Show was on all our usual hotels were fully booked.  We found this pub on air bnb.  It is just off the High Street.  It has basic clean rooms and since we only needed it for the room as we spend most of the time shopping and eating at a West Quay it was fine.

 

We have not stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel yet, we know a lot of people who have and I might book this for my cruise in November on QM2 as it’s my birthday and a special cruise.  I fancy a hotel with spa facilities this time.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HellouB said:

We stay a lot in a Southampton having got the cruise bug and our son chose to go to University here.  (A great choice as we come down from Yorkshire to visit and add a little cruise here or there!)

 

We have stayed at the following hotels, (we sometimes drive but I prefer to get the train)

 

Travelodge Southampton (not to be confused with the new Travelodge Southampton Central), was dreadful, noise from the traffic, basic and dirty and it is on the outskirts of town.  I would never book here again.  However this was in 2016 so it may be different now.

 

Days Inn Rowham Southampton - I do a lot of travelling for work and got a free night stay with my points.  It is a couple of miles outside Southampton on the M27 located at the motorway service station.  It was fine for the night if you are on a budget, we ate at the services the following morning and were at the port in 15 minutes.

 

Premier Inn Southampton City Centre - Next to Solent University across from the park.  Nice hotel with a restaurant, near to the train station but limited parking.  Twenty minute walk to the High Street, West Quay And Marlands Shopping Centre and taxi to the port is about £6

 

Jury Inns - Nice hotel, limited parking, taxi from train station was £5.  My husband rates this the best hotel we have stayed in so far.  It is at the top of the park next to Solent University’s new sports building but in walking distance of the High Street and shopping centres.  It is surrounded by roads, but soundproofed and adequate pedestrian crossings.

 

Ibis Hotel - Directly across the road from the train station so no taxi needed if you only have one suitcase to pull.  Clean rooms, good breakfasts and if you order a taxi to get to the port you order by room number and wait in the reception seating area and the driver comes in gets you.  Last time we were there Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were going out the same day, so there were a few cruisers which added to the atmosphere.  It is also next to TGI Fridays, McDonalds and there is a Boots and Wilko’s for those last minute purchases.  You can walk to John Lewis and West Quay in 10-15 minutes.  Parking is £10 per night right outside the hotel and we have never had a problem finding a space.

 

Ibis Budget Hotel (next door to the Ibis). Extremely basic as someone above posted like a youth hostel and for the sake of a couple of pounds you would be better off in the Ibis next door.

 

Juniper Berry Pub - We booked late and because the Boat Show was on all our usual hotels were fully booked.  We found this pub on air bnb.  It is just off the High Street.  It has basic clean rooms and since we only needed it for the room as we spend most of the time shopping and eating at a West Quay it was fine.

 

We have not stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel yet, we know a lot of people who have and I might book this for my cruise in November on QM2 as it’s my birthday and a special cruise.  I fancy a hotel with spa facilities this time.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Grand Harbour is now called the Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour...trips off the tongue! 

Not to be confused with the Southampton Harbour Hotel Ocean Village.

Edited by turnip eater
Additional info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, turnip eater said:

The Grand Harbour is now called the Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour...trips off the tongue! 

Not to be confused with the Southampton Harbour Hotel Ocean Village.

 

 

And yet, on the Cunard VP site, for ground transfers, they apparently (still) refer to it as "De Vere Grand Harbour."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HellouB said:

We stay a lot in a Southampton having got the cruise bug and our son chose to go to University here.  (A great choice as we come down from Yorkshire to visit and add a little cruise here or there!)

 

We have stayed at the following hotels, (we sometimes drive but I prefer to get the train)

 

Travelodge Southampton (not to be confused with the new Travelodge Southampton Central), was dreadful, noise from the traffic, basic and dirty and it is on the outskirts of town.  I would never book here again.  However this was in 2016 so it may be different now.

 

Days Inn Rowham Southampton - I do a lot of travelling for work and got a free night stay with my points.  It is a couple of miles outside Southampton on the M27 located at the motorway service station.  It was fine for the night if you are on a budget, we ate at the services the following morning and were at the port in 15 minutes.

 

Premier Inn Southampton City Centre - Next to Solent University across from the park.  Nice hotel with a restaurant, near to the train station but limited parking.  Twenty minute walk to the High Street, West Quay And Marlands Shopping Centre and taxi to the port is about £6

 

Jury Inns - Nice hotel, limited parking, taxi from train station was £5.  My husband rates this the best hotel we have stayed in so far.  It is at the top of the park next to Solent University’s new sports building but in walking distance of the High Street and shopping centres.  It is surrounded by roads, but soundproofed and adequate pedestrian crossings.

 

Ibis Hotel - Directly across the road from the train station so no taxi needed if you only have one suitcase to pull.  Clean rooms, good breakfasts and if you order a taxi to get to the port you order by room number and wait in the reception seating area and the driver comes in gets you.  Last time we were there Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were going out the same day, so there were a few cruisers which added to the atmosphere.  It is also next to TGI Fridays, McDonalds and there is a Boots and Wilko’s for those last minute purchases.  You can walk to John Lewis and West Quay in 10-15 minutes.  Parking is £10 per night right outside the hotel and we have never had a problem finding a space.

 

Ibis Budget Hotel (next door to the Ibis). Extremely basic as someone above posted like a youth hostel and for the sake of a couple of pounds you would be better off in the Ibis next door.

 

Juniper Berry Pub - We booked late and because the Boat Show was on all our usual hotels were fully booked.  We found this pub on air bnb.  It is just off the High Street.  It has basic clean rooms and since we only needed it for the room as we spend most of the time shopping and eating at a West Quay it was fine.

 

We have not stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel yet, we know a lot of people who have and I might book this for my cruise in November on QM2 as it’s my birthday and a special cruise.  I fancy a hotel with spa facilities this time.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

Great reply to the Original Topic .

We chose to reserve Jury's months ago. Looks like a good choice now .

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BiggDawg said:

 

 

And yet, on the Cunard VP site, for ground transfers, they apparently (still) refer to it as "De Vere Grand Harbour."

Well, surprisingly 🙄 Cunard’s VP website is incorrect. 😀

I’ve driven past the hotel and its very long sign is visible along the front of the canopy over the main entrance and the Grand Harbour name running along the side of the canopy over the main entrance. Confusing. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So has anyone stayed at the

Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour and the Southampton Harbour Hotel Ocean Village.. Which one did you prefer?

Edited by HellouB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only eaten at the Southampton Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village several times  and thoroughly enjoyed the food. Can’t help about sleeping there, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, gbrchill said:

None of the hotels in Southampton are located in areas right on top of the retail and entertainment part of the city, none offer the ability to walk out of the front door and locate somewhere to shop or eat within a few paces. They are all a short walk away from such areas.

 

I beg to differ.

 

The Premier Inn West Quay is directly across the street from the West Quay shopping and entertainment complex, most definitely within a few paces.  It is also close to the cruise terminals, and virtually next door to Cunard HQ.

 

Several other hotels are within very easy walking distance of the city centre and/or the West Quay complex, including Novotel, Ibis, Travelodge, Holiday Inn and the Leonardo Royal (Grand Harbour), plus several smaller independents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 12:30 AM, Chandris81 said:

We also booked Jurys.  Any opinions from someone who has stayed there?

Stayed there twice last year and have it booked for 2 nights this fall. Found it conveniently located and the price was right. Front desk staff were great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, Tigrou said:

 

I beg to differ.

 

The Premier Inn West Quay is directly across the street from the West Quay shopping and entertainment complex, most definitely within a few paces.  It is also close to the cruise terminals, and virtually next door to Cunard HQ.

 

Several other hotels are within very easy walking distance of the city centre and/or the West Quay complex, including Novotel, Ibis, Travelodge, Holiday Inn and the Leonardo Royal (Grand Harbour), plus several smaller independents.

 

Good point Tigrou, I had forgotten about the extension to the West Quay centre. That makes many more dining opportunities available down that end of town, within reasonable walking distance from the cluster of hotels down there. Being local we don't get down there often.

 

🙂 Chris

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, BiggDawg said:

 

 

And yet, on the Cunard VP site, for ground transfers, they apparently (still) refer to it as "De Vere Grand Harbour."

 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, cruiseluvva said:

It hasn’t been part of De Vere for years.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, turnip eater said:

Well, surprisingly 🙄 Cunard’s VP website is incorrect. 😀

I’ve driven past the hotel and its very long sign is visible along the front of the canopy over the main entrance and the Grand Harbour name running along the side of the canopy over the main entrance. Confusing. 😁

 

Not so much "wrong," maybe, as stuck in the past?

😬

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, gillyg said:

Hi we are considering this option prior to our cruise on QV in June. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hi we have changed our plans and are now looking to stay somewhere that offers parking and transfer to the docks. so with that in mind do your recommendations still stand or is there somewhere better/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, gillyg said:

Hi we have changed our plans and are now looking to stay somewhere that offers parking and transfer to the docks. so with that in mind do your recommendations still stand or is there somewhere better/

 

49 minutes ago, gillyg said:

Hi we have changed our plans and are now looking to stay somewhere that offers parking and transfer to the docks. so with that in mind do your recommendations still stand or is there somewhere better/

 

Ageas Hilton - Have Cruise Packages - 

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

Book the Executive Floor for included evening drinks and hot/cold buffet.  Help yourself Tea/coffee and soft drinks, available 24 hours in the Executive Lounge. Secure Parking on site (you keep your car keys), with your own Private Taxi (not shared) to/from the Port.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stayed at the Grand Harbour and the Southampton Harbour Hote.

the latter was way better - more modern, better rooms, better staff imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...