Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruise Junky

New Wine List Coming?

Recommended Posts

It will be interesting to see how this new selection will be priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll be on board in just a little over 2 weeks.  I’ll certainly report on my LIVE thread 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the article the OP posted.  I have no problem with having a variety of wines to try.  If I choose to do so.  I know what I like and prefer.  I am more likely to purchase more of that which I like and prefer than spend money on "experimenting" with wines unknown to me.

 

There was a new wine list on Nieuw Statendam in January.  I wonder if this "new wine list" will be the same one as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from the Article

 

"Designed to help a wine novice make a selection that pleases their palate, the list presents wine aficionados with a range of cellar-worthy gems. All of the "JS 90+" wines by the glass and all of the bottle options were hand-selected by Suckling and consistently received a rating of at least a 90, which is "outstanding" on his 100-point rating scale. The list also features wines by the glass that are Holland America Line favorites and some of the most popular wines at sea." 

 

If they are just referencing the JS90 wines they were already rolled out on the NS in December (attached).   The wine packages were unchanged.

 

 

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love an article that says "Holland America Line Debuts 'James Suckling's Guide to Great Wines' List with an Intricate Collection of Top Rated Wines" but fails to give the list....lol

 

All I can say, is it's a long time coming!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

This is from the Article

 

"Designed to help a wine novice make a selection that pleases their palate, the list presents wine aficionados with a range of cellar-worthy gems. All of the "JS 90+" wines by the glass and all of the bottle options were hand-selected by Suckling and consistently received a rating of at least a 90, which is "outstanding" on his 100-point rating scale. The list also features wines by the glass that are Holland America Line favorites and some of the most popular wines at sea." 

 

If they are just referencing the JS90 wines they were already rolled out on the NS in December (attached).   The wine packages were unchanged.

 

 

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

 

I hoped this was not the situation.  The "new wine list" is designed to raise more revenue.    Just one example:  in the above wine by the glass list, Cloudy Bay for a 9 oz pour is $25.  Before the change, Maria Villa could be purchased for $41/bottle!  If I recall correctly, Cloudy Bay's price/bottle was $70+.  (Villa Maria was not available on Nieuw Statendam.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I hoped this was not the situation.  The "new wine list" is designed to raise more revenue.    Just one example:  in the above wine by the glass list, Cloudy Bay for a 9 oz pour is $25.  Before the change, Maria Villa could be purchased for $41/bottle!  If I recall correctly, Cloudy Bay's price/bottle was $70+.  (Villa Maria was not available on Nieuw Statendam.)

 

Yea I agree about being disappointed with the JS90+ list, seems to be a large (larger than usual) markup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what was on the MDR tables on the Eurodam in January/February.

 

Lots to choose from by the glass. Pricing was high, certainly higher than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sfocruiser said:

This is from the Article

 

"Designed to help a wine novice make a selection that pleases their palate, the list presents wine aficionados with a range of cellar-worthy gems. All of the "JS 90+" wines by the glass and all of the bottle options were hand-selected by Suckling and consistently received a rating of at least a 90, which is "outstanding" on his 100-point rating scale. The list also features wines by the glass that are Holland America Line favorites and some of the most popular wines at sea." 

 

If they are just referencing the JS90 wines they were already rolled out on the NS in December (attached).   The wine packages were unchanged.

 

 

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

 

Edited by walnut99
reply not included

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sfocruiser, 

 

I assume they still had wines that were under $9.00 per glass and between $9.00 and $15.00,  If not, there would be no reason to consider purchasing or upgrading to the Elite drink package.

 

John   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, walnut99 said:

Sfocruiser, 

 

I assume they still had wines that were under $9.00 per glass and between $9.00 and $15.00,  If not, there would be no reason to consider purchasing or upgrading to the Elite drink package.

 

John   

 

yes!  this was an addition.  We were back on the NS in Feb and upgraded to the EBP because of the wine selection.   the package probably covered about 80% of the normal wines by the glass (not JS90+)

Edited by sfocruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm optimistic.   Our last few cruises, we carried four to six bottles aboard for a seven day cruise because we found the ship's wines to be less than drinkable.  (Actually, we developed our own rating system for the ship's wines.  We categorized each wine by how many martini's were necessary for it to taste good, one martini, two martini, etc.)  We've looked at the wines in the Signature and Elite packages and weren't impressed by either.  We would be willing to pay these prices for 94+ rated wines.  Not happy, but willing.

 

We were thinking of upgrading the signature package we have as a part of a promo on our next cruise.   Looking forward to feedback on these wines.  We might cancel the signature package instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kazu said:

We’ll be on board in just a little over 2 weeks.  I’ll certainly report on my LIVE thread 🙂 

See what you can learn about the James's Rock Star Wines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I hoped this was not the situation.  The "new wine list" is designed to raise more revenue.    Just one example:  in the above wine by the glass list, Cloudy Bay for a 9 oz pour is $25.  Before the change, Maria Villa could be purchased for $41/bottle!  If I recall correctly, Cloudy Bay's price/bottle was $70+.  (Villa Maria was not available on Nieuw Statendam.)

I agree. HAL is certainly gouging here, when a 5 oz pour costs more than a full bottle. Unless there is an increase in the SBP ceiling for wines, there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

See what you can learn about the James's Rock Star Wines.

I will indeed.

 

I'll also check to see if the wine packages hae changed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a member of the Sokol Blosser wine club and the Evolution Pinot Noir while being a perfectly drinkable wine is their least expensive and meant to be fun and approachable. It is certainly not worth $16 for a 5oz. pour.  Looks like I'll be brining my own wine and paying corkage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I will indeed.

 

I'll also check to see if the wine packages hae changed.

 

I would appreciate that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We categorized each wine by how many martini's were necessary for it to taste good, one martini, two martini, etc.) 

 

:classic_biggrin: LOL!  There is a bit of "truth" in your comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently on K'dam

Wine packages are unchanged from last year. 

20190327_193511.jpg

20190327_193504.jpg

20190327_193459.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

these were some of the bottle selections from the JS90+ list.   Note that again this was in addition to the standard wine list at dinner

 

 

IMG_1651.jpg.a0127e71eabd028d54f3529e2d8a3089.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg.200e7a3a14541656fbd77393770fa2ba.jpgIMG_1649.jpg.dc1ca36f7baa18ca709be4e7679e5c14.jpgIMG_1648.jpg.589aab032231c2928301a116b8febde1.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Edited by sfocruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

these were some of the bottle selections from the JS90+ list.   Not that again this was in addition to the standard wine list at dinner

 

Thank you.  That's certainly something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree. HAL is certainly gouging here, when a 5 oz pour costs more than a full bottle. Unless there is an increase in the SBP ceiling for wines, there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers.

I agree, the least expensive 5 oz glasses are a dollar or two higher than the $15 Elite BP limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...