20% Gratuity on Non-alcoholic Packages

Jetstreamer

Does anyone know why Celebrity are currently charging gratuity on non-alcoholic drinks packages at 20% when alcohol packages are only charged at 18%?

I'm sure that last time I checked in the planner it was 18% for both but today it says 20% and the price is higher when you click through to checkout.

It makes no sense, especially as a Princess cruiser used to having no grats applied to soft drinks!

That is in the fine prints:

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. A 20% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout. Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. Offers are non-transferable and not combinable with Captain Club discounts or any other offer or promotion. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.

So they have increased the service charge that applies to all beverage packages (alcoholic or not).

Edited by Tourist1292

Wow!  Another subtle price increase.  Didn't they recently raise the price of the drink packages and the suggested daily gratuities?

However, unlike some cruise lines, if you get the drink package as a perk, you do not pay any of the service charge directly.  It is included as part of the perk.

Edited by cruiserchuck

8 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I just checked the US website, and still see 18% mentioned in several places.

I was checking the US site too and found the 20% service charge. It is a typical website issue at Celebrity that you can easily find inconsistent information during transitions.  If one place an order on Cruise Planer and see the 20% service charge, that is all matter.

6 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

I was checking the US site too and found the 20% service charge. It is a typical website issue at Celebrity that you can easily find inconsistent information during transitions.  If one place an order on Cruise Planer and see the 20% service charge, that is all matter.

I was not looking on the Cruise Planner, just on the regular area discussing drink packages.  

I just went into the Cruise Planner, and it is showing 20% in the fine print.  However, the pricing for the package itself is lower than it has been ($55.20 per day for the premium package.)    

Edited by cruiserchuck

19 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I just checked the US website, and still see 18% mentioned in several places.

I just checked my cruise on Infinity for April 22.    Like the OP indicated there is a 20% Gratuity for the Non-Alcoholic package but only 18% for any of Classic or Premium packages.   Did you check on the Non-Alcoholic package?

I know this is not much $$ but for some reason this bugs me.  I noticed the difference in my cart - I had been hoping for a sale on a non-alcoholic beverage package (which didn't happen). Then I went in to pay for it anyway and noticed it was a few dollars more. 

I know Celebrity can do whatever they want but I just don't like the feeling of being taken advantage of. If it is part of the price then just disclose the price - same thing with gratuities.   This is a significant increase in revenue for the cruise line when all is said and done - nickles and dimes - they add up. 

22 minutes ago, snyniew said:

I just looked at my cruise planner and the price to upgrade to premium is still showing $11.80. I wonder if they have a date as to when it goes into effect which is why some show 18% vs 20%. 

Where do you see the option for package upgrade on cruise planer? I can only find the individual packages there.

4 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

Where do you see the option for package upgrade on cruise planer? I can only find the individual packages there.

It only showed upgrade options within 30 days of sailing. But for me if I can’t get the sale prices I’ll do it on board & give one of the bartenders the credit. They’ll take care of you the rest of the cruise 

8 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Just got my eDocs,  it states that the gratuities on all beverages (& packages) goes up to 20% on March 28th 

Did you just get it today? I got my May cruise eDoc which was just available a few days ago and it still said 18%. I downloaded another copy today and it did not change.

Edited by Tourist1292

1 hour ago, Tourist1292 said:

Did you just get it today? I got my May cruise eDoc which was just available a few days ago and it still said 18%. I downloaded another copy today and it did not change.

It sounds like the change was made yesterday or today.

Just checked the UK website ....

All non alcohol packages, flights, tasting experiences, mixology classes etc its 20%

gratsna.jpg.e4021edb419d38904365d6c6924f69f4.jpg

All 3 alcohol packages it is however  18%

gratspa.jpg.9adfb7f71d15b704595a240f2ef5e05d.jpg

The bar set ups are listed as gratuity included 

gratsinc.jpg.6629aabd867fb8b70a3db4864d72262c.jpg

How long will it be before the tech catches up? (could be months knowing X 😄) but at £5 per person per week for the premium package they might try to be a bit quicker