Cruise Critic Community
Jetstreamer

20% Gratuity on Non-alcoholic Packages

A change in gratuity from 18 to 20% should NOT make any difference in Celebrity’s profit and loss, as it goes to the crew anyway. There are so many comments on here about people tipping above 18% already that I’m surprised this was needed. As far as changing after you booked your cruise, i guess if you purchased a package already, you are locked in at 18%, buy one now, or pay as you go and its 20%.

9 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

The question is, when they listed the 18% on the edoc and booking confirmation, can they charge 20% on the cruise?

I think they probably can.  I am sure there is something in the fine print about being able to make changes.  

On one cruise we were on, Celebrity had just increased the price of eating in Bistro on 5.  When we walked in the restaurant right after boarding, the old price was still on display, but they charged us the higher price.  The food was good, so we did not complain, especially since I did not want to spend time on my vacation arguing over a few bucks.

34 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I think they probably can.  I am sure there is something in the fine print about being able to make changes.  

On one cruise we were on, Celebrity had just increased the price of eating in Bistro on 5.  When we walked in the restaurant right after boarding, the old price was still on display, but they charged us the higher price.  The food was good, so we did not complain, especially since I did not want to spend time on my vacation arguing over a few bucks.

If you have paid for the cruise in full including the beverage package how can they charge you extra after boarding ?

1 minute ago, yorky said:

If you have paid for the cruise in full including the beverage package how can they charge you extra after boarding ?

I do not think they can do that.  However, I believe they can and will charge the 20% for people who already have their paperwork, but have not yet purchased a drink package, or upgrade onboard.  

32 minutes ago, yorky said:

I don't believe they can or will.   There have been many changes before and for those paid for in advance you were grandfathered into what you paid.