Konsingdam - Inside Sideways Stateroom?

bamelin

Anyone tried out the sideways insides on Konsingdam?  I did an extensive search and can't find any pictures, nothing on youtube, couldn't really even find much on Cruise Critics either.

Booking my parents and thinking about putting them on the sideways inside -- I had a sideways inside on Princess and really liked it, was bigger than regular insides and the beds faced the same direction as they would in a balcony.

We haven't been on the Koningsdam but if the sideways inside is anything like the ones on the Noordam, I would not recommend it.  It was, by far, the smallest, most uncomfortable cabin we have ever occupied in our 38 years of cruising.  At one time, it may have been a utility cupboard or a single occupancy cabin.  We are not large people but there was really only room for one of us to be standing in the cabin, at any given time.  Hardly room to turn around.  We had to have the beds separated to create a little runway to get in and out of bed.  The first night (with the bed as one unit) my husband got up in the night and nearly impaled himself on the large clothes hooks that were sticking out of the wall. It was the worst cabin, ever.  The bathroom, however was much larger than most.  Good luck!

On 3/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, bamelin said:

Anyone tried out the sideways insides on Konsingdam?  I did an extensive search and can't find any pictures, nothing on youtube, couldn't really even find much on Cruise Critics either.

Booking my parents and thinking about putting them on the sideways inside -- I had a sideways inside on Princess and really liked it, was bigger than regular insides and the beds faced the same direction as they would in a balcony.

Can you give me an example of room #'s from the deck plan?  Do you mean cabins that are longer bow to stern and rectangular?  On any specific deck?  

6 hours ago, sprockie said:

Can you give me an example of room #'s from the deck plan?  Do you mean cabins that are longer bow to stern and rectangular?  On any specific deck?  

We were initially looking at the two sideways insides, either L8182 or L8176 (right at the extreme aft)  https://www.icruise.com/deckplans/holland-america-line-cruises-koningsdam-deckplans-navigation-deck.html

We ended up booking a normal inside L8179.  

I had a sideways inside on the Royal Princess and liked it, but we decided that with them being underneath the chairs above on the Lido back pool maybe there would be more noise.  Was also worried that white space beside the sideways cabins may be a service stairwell or closet.  8179 is also slightly closer to the aft elevator.

The thing with the sideways stateroom on Royal Princess is that the door opens literally right on the bed ... it made the room feel bigger than a normal inside but there could be some privacy issues.  Not sure how they place the beds on the Konsingdam sideways insides.

Edited by bamelin

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, liontamers said:

We haven't been on the Koningsdam but if the sideways inside is anything like the ones on the Noordam, I would not recommend it.  It was, by far, the smallest, most uncomfortable cabin we have ever occupied in our 38 years of cruising.  At one time, it may have been a utility cupboard or a single occupancy cabin.  We are not large people but there was really only room for one of us to be standing in the cabin, at any given time.  Hardly room to turn around.  We had to have the beds separated to create a little runway to get in and out of bed.  The first night (with the bed as one unit) my husband got up in the night and nearly impaled himself on the large clothes hooks that were sticking out of the wall. It was the worst cabin, ever.  The bathroom, however was much larger than most.  Good luck!

I must have had the same cabin as you on the Noordam....never again!  Thank god I was in it by myself, otherwise I probably would have killed the other occupant.  A tuna fish can has more room.  It was the only cabin where I had a claustrophobia attack one night, and had to open the cabin door in order to breath.

Bamelin, make sure you know what you're doing.  You don't want your parents to be miserable for the entire cruise.

Roz

Edited by Roz

On 3/28/2019 at 8:12 AM, bamelin said:

The only inside/sideways I saw was when the door was open on RCCL and it looked like the rooms were bigger.

20 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

The only inside/sideways I saw was when the door was open on RCCL and it looked like the rooms were bigger.

Yeah on the Royal Princess the sideways insides definitely felt bigger -- it's kind of an optical illusion as the door opens right into where the beds are so the space where the hallway would be is made up by a slightly bigger living area and often a bigger storage area by the bathroom.

Not all sideways cabins are created equal though, that's why I was asking about it.  In the end I just booked my folks a normal inside, didn't want to take any chances.  There's literally zero pictures or information online about the sideways insides on the Konsingdam so I decided not to take a chance.

They are hoping for an upgrade anyways.  Holland America is notorious for offering cheap stateroom upgrades to insides and oceanviews once final payment has passed.

Edited by bamelin

We had a "sideways" inside cabin on Nieuw Statendam (which is basically the same as Koningsdam); felt it was slightly roomier because door opens into cabin between desk and TV wall; used the hallway between bathroom and closets as a dressing room. We tended to tag team when getting ready in the morning or for dinner; worked well for us. Would have probably seemed bigger if beds were separated, since the king takes up so much room. Bathroom is really spectacular for an inside room; especially the shower. Lots of closet and storage space.  We have actually booked the same cabin for a cruise in December.

22 hours ago, Maggie North said:

We had a "sideways" inside cabin on Nieuw Statendam (which is basically the same as Koningsdam); felt it was slightly roomier because door opens into cabin between desk and TV wall; used the hallway between bathroom and closets as a dressing room. We tended to tag team when getting ready in the morning or for dinner; worked well for us. Would have probably seemed bigger if beds were separated, since the king takes up so much room. Bathroom is really spectacular for an inside room; especially the shower. Lots of closet and storage space.  We have actually booked the same cabin for a cruise in December.

Was the tv right across from the bed?

For what it's worth, when we cruised on the Koningsdam we were across the hall from N4024 as we were in a balcony cabin, VB4022. We didn't realize the ship had cabins set up that long way so we took take a peek in when the steward was cleaning and N4024 looked quite roomy. 

36 minutes ago, Maggie North said:

The diagram is of the standard inside cabin; I simply added arrows and notations to indicate where features were different for the ‘sideways’ inside cabin.

Ah i see now, duh!   Thanks you so much, greatly appreciate it.

• 6 months later...

I am resurrecting this topic to ask if anyone knows if all sideways (longways from aft to forward) inside cabins have the TV right in front of the bed on the wall?  Specifically thinking of 4201, 4195, 4189, 4183, 4174, 4168 or 4162 on the Nieuw Statendam.  Any information is appreciated.  

Maggie North's post above was very helpful, but wondered if they are all laid out this way.

Thanks!

Edited by sprockie

Saw this pop up in my feed!  Remarkable I haven't been on CC for months and happened to be surfing here.

Wish I could help you @sprokie .  My folks ended up switching sail dates to the Nieuw Statendam and upgraded from an inside to obstructed balcony -- which ALSO has a weird layout with the balcony on the side!  

I vaguely recall when researching the sideways staterooms on the Konsingdam, the TV was on an off angle which we didn't like -- not sure though if I'm remembering right.

Edited by bamelin

HalFacts shows pictures of stateroom 6127 on the Konigsdam. Take a look.

Based on these I booked an inside sideways on the Nieuw Statendam for the TA departing Rome this Sunday. I hope my stateroom is similar, because I'm on board for 21 days. If it's not, oh well, it's not.

LPD

• Like 1

In April on deck 5.  I liked it.  Koningsdam insides are a bit snug and I would not recommend for anyone with mobility issues as getting to the far side of the bed may be problematic.   For us it was great.  It gets rid of that useless hallway - room service is immediately to the desk. The bathroom is out of the pathway so you can perch the door open to keep it fresh.   Watching TV is from the bed - not a big concern for me. 

19 hours ago, LP Dad said:

HalFacts shows pictures of stateroom 6127 on the Konigsdam. Take a look.

Based on these I booked an inside sideways on the Nieuw Statendam for the TA departing Rome this Sunday. I hope my stateroom is similar, because I'm on board for 21 days. If it's not, oh well, it's not.

LPD

Thank you.  6127 is quite different in shape and placement of entrance.  I am looking specifically for the cabins that run aft to forward and have the door in the middle of the cabin.  

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

In April on deck 5.  I liked it.  Koningsdam insides are a bit snug and I would not recommend for anyone with mobility issues as getting to the far side of the bed may be problematic.   For us it was great.  It gets rid of that useless hallway - room service is immediately to the desk. The bathroom is out of the pathway so you can perch the door open to keep it fresh.   Watching TV is from the bed - not a big concern for me. 

What do you mean watching tv is from the bed?  Does that mean the TV is directly in front of the bed so you can lay on the bed and look forward at the TV or does it mean there is no sofa so you have to watch TV while sitting on the bed?  So many questions.  Thanks

1 hour ago, sprockie said:

What do you mean watching tv is from the bed?  Does that mean the TV is directly in front of the bed so you can lay on the bed and look forward at the TV or does it mean there is no sofa so you have to watch TV while sitting on the bed?  So many questions.  Thanks

There is no sofa.  The TV is flatly wall hung directly in front of the bed.  The only other seating is the vanity stool.  It is snug and we actually thought it was very efficient.  There is lots of storage under the bed and a full wall of closets.  There is a fridge.  There is the vanity/desk and stool.  The bathroom is shower only and efficient.  The only other inside cabin I ever had was on Princess, I thought this one was much "neater" - efficiently designed to be comfortable in snug quarters.  The Princess was which was the traditional layout had all of that wasted hallway space.  

Edited:  I can't say the Koningsdam is my favorite HAL ship, it is a little too big for my tastes. But it was a very trim and clean ship

Edited by Mary229

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

There is no sofa.  The TV is flatly wall hung directly in front of the bed.  The only other seating is the vanity stool.  It is snug and we actually thought it was very efficient.  There is lots of storage under the bed and a full wall of closets.  There is a fridge.  There is the vanity/desk and stool.  The bathroom is shower only and efficient.  The only other inside cabin I ever had was on Princess, I thought this one was much "neater" - efficiently designed to be comfortable in snug quarters.  The Princess was which was the traditional layout had all of that wasted hallway space.  

I had an "Sideways" Inside on the Royal Princess.  The door opened up directly into the room (no hallway) which meant the living space felt much larger.  The washroom/storage was noticeably bigger than regular insides.   The downside of the sideways inside on that ship is that the door literally opens up almost touching the bed … so with no hallway there could be privacy issues or hearing people out in the hallway.

Personally we loved it, the room felt much larger than a regular inside.  No idea though if on HAL it will be the same.

3 minutes ago, bamelin said:

I had an "Sideways" Inside on the Royal Princess.  The door opened up directly into the room (no hallway) which meant the living space felt much larger.  The washroom/storage was noticeably bigger than regular insides.   The downside of the sideways inside on that ship is that the door literally opens up almost touching the bed … so with no hallway there could be privacy issues or hearing people out in the hallway.

Personally we loved it, the room felt much larger than a regular inside.  No idea though if on HAL it will be the same.

The door swing was sufficient and did not touch the bed.  It was enough that my husband could open the door and hold it open for me to enter (I always carry too much junk to open a door😀).  We like far rear cabins just because noise and traffic are not issues so we noted no noise issues

• Like 1