Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
TLCOhio

Rio: NY Times Profile, Tips, Pix's, Ideas??!!

Recommended Posts

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this weekend, they will have this headline: “36 Hours in Rio de Janeiro”  with this sub-head: "A weekend in this ever-surprising Brazilian city might include caipirinhas on the beach; capuchin monkeys on a hike; and music, food and history everywhere."

 

Many interesting ideas and options are outlined in this profile for the famed Brazil city.  While we visited and done much along the Amazon River (as detailed below on my live/blog), we still have Rio on our future, to-do wish list.  Here are some more of their story highlights: “To come to this sprawling, dynamic Brazilian city without preconceptions, whether they’re about bikinis or President Jair Bolsonaro, is just about impossible. But Rio constantly finds ways to surprise — whether it’s a friendly resident walking you to a shop you just can’t find; sobering evidence of the city’s slave trade; or the discovery that food tastes best standing on a sidewalk surrounded by the lyrical sound of Portuguese and accompanied by a beer so cold it’ll make your fillings hurt. From beach to museum, church to market, Rio is a city constantly defying its own myths and encourages visitors to join in with unbridled enthusiasm.”

 

This profile has many colorful and interesting visuals, plus a nice, helpful interactive map.  Below are a couple of this pictures included with this feature.  Here is another highlight from this profile: "The South Zone of Rio is home to the tony neighborhoods of Ipanema and Copacabana, which also have the best beaches: stretches of pristine sand bordering gentle waves. Pick up a bathing suit at Blue Man, a decades-old Brazilian brand of swimwear that produces eye-catching bikinis, one-pieces and briefs in colorful parrot and pineapple patterns (prices start around 150 reals). Swing by Osklen, another well-known Brazilian brand, which sells elegant T-shirts in linen and silk.  Make a final stop at Toca do Vinicius, a shop for music lovers, where all the vintage records and newly released CDs are bossa nova and samba."

 

Lots of fun options there!!??  Anyone having upcoming travel planned for Rio de Janeiro?  Or, have past experience, tips, suggestions, etc., to share?

 

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/travel/what-to-do-in-rio-de-janeiro.html

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,334 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

 

Here are just three of the visuals used in this NY Times profile of Rio.  Looks wonderful and very interesting!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

654372414_ScreenShot2019-03-29at9_48_04AM.thumb.png.e7641638b6929f38ab79d568658b173d.png

 

1497581756_ScreenShot2019-03-29at9_50_11AM.thumb.png.df57319cfaf0ab9f1903c0a09c5c4697.png

 

671308605_ScreenShot2019-03-29at9_59_15AM.thumb.png.70c44a368c80ffc53f3a8cd101491bc5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: “The world's most colourful destinations”  with a highlight on Rio de Janeiro and its Favela Santa Marta are that has been transformed by artists.  Below is visual example as a part of their profile of different world locations.  

 

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/most-colourful-cities-and-towns/rio-brazil/

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,829 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

 

967775695_ScreenShot2019-06-08at3_59_39PM.thumb.png.3e0a7d32a9d4e725b6663a86893fdb38.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to have an apt. in Rio, in Copacabana two blocks back from the beach.  The nicest people you will ever meet.  And the food is fantastic.  Here's the national dish, feijoada, typically served on Saturday.  Lots of different parts of the pig and all sorts of other goodies.  A word to the wise, once you get away from the beach or other tourist areas, there won't be a lot of English speakers.  But it's worth it.  We'll be there pre-cruise in December.

 

feijoada 2014.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, clo said:

We used to have an apt. in Rio, in Copacabana two blocks back from the beach.  The nicest people you will ever meet.  And the food is fantastic.  Here's the national dish, feijoada, typically served on Saturday.  Lots of different parts of the pig and all sorts of other goodies.  A word to the wise, once you get away from the beach or other tourist areas, there won't be a lot of English speakers.  But it's worth it.  We'll be there pre-cruise in December.

 

Great above background and information posted by clo from Nevada.  Very helpful!!  Don't be shy with any added questions, sharing, background info, etc.    Appreciate these excellent postings.  Have been traveling.  Where?  During our recent travels, we encountered many different, wonderful people from BOTH Australia and New Zealand.  It's always fun with those from "down under".  

 

Just completed yesterday, for our first time, flying into Calgary, seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  As mention earlier, next on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.  In 2014, we did Wellington, Napier/Cape Kidnappers, Tauranga/Rotorua and Auckland/Waiheke Island, etc.  Will welcome all good suggestion for other exciting opportunities and fun locations in NZ's North Island.  More good photo opportunities??

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruisecdritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

 

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

“Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   36 minutes ago,  BarbinMich said: 

Terry, there's a typo in the link you posted:  a "d" in the midst of cruisecritic in the link.  I'm just now catching up with your travels.

Appreciate Barb catching of this "goof".  Have corrected and will update the other posts with this better link.

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

CORRECT LINK

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WE have been to Rio twice.

We will be there again in November, 2019 for a short day visit, from the Viking Jupiter.

...just want to go to the beach for the morning, then get a couple drinks at a bar with a nice view.

Any suggestions for maybe a day-pass at a hotel with good beach access ? 

If not, we'll just taxi from the cruise ship port to Copacabana Beach and "wing it".😉 

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, $hip$hape said:

Any suggestions for maybe a day-pass at a hotel with good beach access ? 

 

AFAIK all the beaches are accessible.  I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise.  The Brazilian real is in bad shape so beneficial for US travelers.  You could easily get a room a few blocks from the beach for probably US$50.  But if I were you I'd do your suggestion and just cab it there and back.  There are tons of bar/food kiosks all the way down the beach(es).  We generally get "salcicha e cibollas."  (Hope I got that right!)  Little slices of sausage grilled with onion.  And caipirinhas of course 🙂  We'll be back in December so you're getting me in the mood 🙂

 

If I can help in any other way, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, clo said:

AFAIK all the beaches are accessible.  I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise.  The Brazilian real is in bad shape so beneficial for US travelers.  You could easily get a room a few blocks from the beach for probably US$50.  But if I were you I'd do your suggestion and just cab it there and back.  There are tons of bar/food kiosks all the way down the beach(es).  We generally get "salcicha e cibollas."  (Hope I got that right!)  Little slices of sausage grilled with onion.  And caipirinhas of course 🙂  We'll be back in December so you're getting me in the mood 🙂

 

If I can help in any other way, let me know.

clo,  

Just noticed your post.

Our priority at this time is, the beach, and caipirinhas of course 😀

Keep in touch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

clo,  

Just noticed your post.

Our priority at this time is, the beach, and caipirinhas of course 😀

Keep in touch?

What day of the week will you be there?  If Saturday, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, clo said:

What day of the week will you be there?  If Saturday, let me know.

We will be in Rio on a Friday, November 29, 2019. Plan on picking up Brazilian currency in Recife, a few days before.

How much would we need? (A rhetorical question)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, $hip$hape said:

We will be in Rio on a Friday, November 29, 2019. Plan on picking up Brazilian currency in Recife, a few days before.

How much would we need? (A rhetorical question)

We can't remember but the places along the beach may not take credit cards.  But, man, with that exchange rate, it won't take a lot.  That couldn't be more vague, could it?  Sorry.  We always have reals from previous trips so we don't think about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, clo said:

We can't remember but the places along the beach may not take credit cards.  But, man, with that exchange rate, it won't take a lot.  That couldn't be more vague, could it?  Sorry.  We always have reals from previous trips so we don't think about it.  

 

10 minutes ago, clo said:

We can't remember but the places along the beach may not take credit cards.  But, man, with that exchange rate, it won't take a lot.  That couldn't be more vague, could it?  Sorry.  We always have reals from previous trips so we don't think about it.  

 

10 minutes ago, clo said:

We can't remember but the places along the beach may not take credit cards.  But, man, with that exchange rate, it won't take a lot.  That couldn't be more vague, could it?  Sorry.  We always have reals from previous trips so we don't think about it.  

Sorry, I’m having issues with the Cruise Critic website.

But me thinks I agree with you. No credit card should be needed for the pittance of cash we plan to use for taxi and drinks.

WE are also digging out unused reals. I just hope they’re not obsolete.😀

Edited by $hip$hape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

 

 

Sorry, I’m having issues with the Cruise Critic website.

But me thinks I agree with you. No credit card should be needed for the pittance of cash we plan to use for taxi and drinks.

WE are also digging out unused reals.

Oh, I know.  I don't know what causes it 🙂

 

We have a fave place for feijoada on Saturday but we've also had other good not great food there on other days.  The Deck on Avenida Atlantica near Siquera Campos or Santa Clara..  Just right across from the beach.

 

copacabana 2013.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...