HAL S.A./Antarctica: Too early in the season for Antarctica?

Bella0714

My wife and I are looking at the Holland America Westerdam cruise that departs Chile on November 27. My concern is with the Antarctica portion of the cruise. The first day in Antarctica is December 7, which I think is a few weeks earlier than HAL usually goes there. I know ice is especially a concern with large cruise ships, and I'm wondering if anyone thinks December 7-10 is too early in the season for a regular cruise ship to attempt Antarctica and whether passage is likely to be even further hindered.

I'd really like to take this cruise because it goes through the area of the total solar eclipse on the northbound but I don't want that to be at the expense of being in Antarctica at the wrong time. I know the smaller ships go as early as late October, but they don't have the same restrictions as HAL.

Thanks,

Dave

The ship won't be going anywhere where there is ice build up - it's not allowed that far south. The cruise ships are mostly in the Antarctic Sound - a sizeable body of water. No where near where the small expedition ships are heading. 

Early Dec is a good time of year. A tad too early for huge pods of whales but you might encounter occasional solos or mums and bubs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

The ship won't be going anywhere where there is ice build up - it's not allowed that far south. The cruise ships are mostly in the Antarctic Sound - a sizeable body of water. No where near where the small expedition ships are heading. 

Early Dec is a good time of year. A tad too early for huge pods of whales but you might encounter occasional solos or mums and bubs. 

Thanks for responding. The Westerdam cruise is not my first choice, but I placed a refundable deposit just in case Hurtigruten doesn't become a good option, price-wise, over the next year and a half. From what I can tell, HAL doesn't go further south than the Lemaire Channel and often doesn't even make it that far. Holland America and the other large cruise ships might cease to be an option to Antarctic after 2021 or 22 because of the new polar code, so I'm hedging my bets. If they're gone, there won't be any inexpensive options.

The Lemaire Channel can often be blocked by small bergs so that even the small expedition ships struggle with a tight squeeze or don't go through at all. It's fairly rare for the cruise ships to go thru the channel. Some just nosey around the start of the channel then turn around. Mostly they stick to the big Sound and Paradise Bay etc. 

While Hurtigruten is still far too big for my personal liking (I prefer under 100 pax) - if you have the choice between it and a cruise ship - go for the smaller vessel and really experience Antarctica - rather than just sailing past and kicking yourself later. No regrets !

• Like 1