Jump to content

LIVE From The Flower Power Cruise: Peace, Love & Rock & Roll On The Infinity


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks! It will be great to meet all of you if I manage to snag a cabin😎✌️

I hope you can snag one.  There is always someone who has to change their plans.  As Vt said, every Tues at 8pm they post the cabins that are available.  I'm not sure what the waiting list is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a few hundred balconies left on rock and romance, which sometimes has artist overlap. Jefferson starship is on this next year along with America and many others. This is also 7 days for first time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, George C said:

Still a few hundred balconies left on rock and romance, which sometimes has artist overlap. Jefferson starship is on this next year along with America and many others. This is also 7 days for first time. 

Have you sailed on FPC & R&R?  Did you like one more than the other?  I would have considered that one if we didn't get on the FPC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Just checked and there are only three cabins left on the whole ship, all ocean views. One is on deck six, the very front of the ship and the other two are on deck two, the very rear of the ship.

Did you book?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, first mate said:

As Vt said, every Tues at 8pm they post the cabins that are available.  I'm not sure what the waiting list is. 

If you are on the waiting list (once the cabins are sold out, a button will appear under the sold out sign that you can click on to be on the wait list. They will send you an email with the available cabins every Tuesday night at 8 - you need to be logged in and ready to grab one because they go within minutes (per a Star Vista lady I talked to).

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, first mate said:

Have you sailed on FPC & R&R?  Did you like one more than the other?  I would have considered that one if we didn't get on the FPC.

No did rock and romance last two years was on wait list for flower power , I know some performers lthat did Cher and Blues brothers etc do both sometimes a headliner is on both like Guess who last year. Wife prefers 70’s music , and she comes with me to see Arlo and Dylan etc when they come to Dallas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Review of the Infinity Experience:

 

We did the British Isles on the Infinity in 2013 in AQ (1138) and liked the ship, though had enjoyed S Class much more. Blu was excellent on that cruise (actually better than on the Silhouette the year before) and overall has been very good to excellent on subsequent cruises in AQ. 

 

We have sailed on M Class since then for FPC charters (and one B2B including a FPC) and chosen S Class otherwise until recently, when we have sailed on the Edge Class.  Though this cruise was about the music and the ship was a secondary consideration, I was worried that we would find a shabby ship in need of refurbishment and would be continually comparing it to the Edge, which was new and exciting.

 

I thought the ship was in good shape overall - some of the wood trim needed refinishing and some of the furniture was a bit saggy and outdated-looking in some of the public spaces, but wasn't stained or torn and was very comfortable. As I said early on, it was like putting on a pair of old comfortable shoes - it felt good to be there.

 

Cabin: The cabin was in good shape and spotless. We had a great cabin steward.

Bath: I had missed the lovely AQ showerhead - enjoyed that all week! The shower did leak out of the swinging doors that don't seal - needed an extra towel for each shower. The mirror wasn't anti-fog. Storage was great in the bathroom. My DH wasn't impressed with the shampoo and conditioner - I used my own. They have the nasty oatmeal soap like on the Edge that turns to mush (tip - turn it on its side to help prevent that).

Living Area: Bed was very comfortable, closet large, though drawers were way too shallow to put much in them. There were a few cubbies for clothes, but I had forgotten that the storage in these cabins is not great (we like drawer space). It was nice to have a coffee table and comfortable couch. The balcony was big enough for 2 chairs (one reclined and one didn't) and a good sized table. There were no foot stools. There was plenty of sun out there.


Non-Dining Venues:

 

Theater: 5 Stars  -  Loved that almost every seat had a good view and liked the little tables with the tea light underneath (I had forgotten about those). The seats were comfortable, the acoustics very good and the beverage service excellent. The nice thing about going on these cruises with oldies is that people don't generally stand during the concerts so you can stay seated and still see. There are the usual standing "O's" here and there, but don't last long.  🙂

 

Rendezvous Lounge: 4 Stars - It is a cool venue, though not designed for large groups (and on this cruise folding chairs were added and people stood). The side view seating doesn't have great views. The seating was comfortable and service very good.

 

Constellation Lounge: 4 Stars - Not really designed for the way it was used on the FPC. They pack a lot of people in and those who get the early seats sometimes end up with someone wandering in and standing in front of you. Service was pretty good, despite it being crowded much of the time on the FPC. It is a pretty space when nothing is going on in there. Great views. In my feedback, I will suggest using the theater for the events that are so crowded or divide them into Silver and Gold so that everyone can get a seat.

 

Cellar Masters: 4 Stars for the space

I really like this space. We met some fun people in there on the British Isles cruise. It is where I first heard the term "NAFC" from a guy from Chicago when I asked what they were doing the next day. Those who have toured the British Isles likely know what that stands for. 🙂 

 

Anyway, back to Cellar masters - every time we walked through, we said that we should have wine there before dinner some night and it just never happened. I did sit in there one day because it was quiet, but the bar was closed. It wasn't that well-used on this cruise, but I realized what a nice space it is and hope to use it more next year! It is an area that could use a refurb.

 

Pool Area: 5 Stars

Loved being by the pool on this ship. We almost always got the rattan loungers with orange padded cushions on the upper deck and were able to hear the music (and often see the band if no one at rail blocking view) and relax, read, get great bar service. We like watching the pool concerts from the upper deck (my DH found that the acoustics were better up there on the first FPC so that is where we usually head). The people were very friendly up there and we had many nice conversations with people at the rail or in other loungers nearby or just passing through. We loved the vibe in that area. Shhh, don't tell anyone!

 

I found the pool area the most exciting place to be, with more of that rock concert vibe - lots of dancing, singing, clapping. I always left there happy - of course, the 85 degree sunny weather helped!

 

Sunset Bar: 5 Stars - excellent bartenders and drinks!

 

We didn't spend a lot of time in other non-dining venues so won't comment on those.

 

Dining Venues:

 

Cafe al Bacio: 5 Stars -  Really enjoyed this space on this cruise. I woke up early every morning and got my favorite seat by the ocean and settled in to read and answer email and post on my live thread (about 7 AM). Jenifer brought my Earl Grey tea every day, with just the right amount of honey, with an almond croissant (no need to order, she just appeared 🙂). My DH usually joined me at 8 or 8:30 and Jenifer automatically brought his English Breakfast tea and just the right amount of honey with a chocolate croissant. Usually the same people were there early and luckily we were all quiet people. By 8 things started to get busier. It was a luxurious, relaxing way for me to start a busy day.

 

Sushi on 5: 5 Stars! - We were so happy to be back in Sushi on 5 and ate lunch there almost every day. Charlie and Grober took excellent care of us and we were treated like rock stars every time we returned. 😉 We had our seats in the back corner and enjoyed the lobster ramen (my DH had it every time) and I had the shrimp tempura roll every time and we sampled "Kobe" slider, the California roll, shrimp and lobster wontons and had the chicken ginger gyoza many times (yum). The Louis Jadot Steel Chardonnay paired well with these items. They had made a mistake on one order so the next time we went they gave us the moshi ice cream to share for dessert. We loved it and had it the next day too. 🙂  We had a fun with the staff and loved the food, as usual.

 

Le Petite Chef at Qsine: 5 Stars! - I am surprised to give this restaurant such a high rating, but it was excellent! As someone who figured that LPC was a one and done thing (and it really is as far as the little people running around your plate), I was surprised that all 4 of us wanted to go back for the food. It was definitely the best place to eat on the ship (we didn't have access to Luminae on this cruise, but the food was better at LPC than most previous Luminae food we have experienced, so I'm presuming it might have been better). The bouillabaisse was very rich and the seafood was tender (I really expected a bland base). The tender lobster tail with buttery wine sauce was so good - we all couldn't wait to go back for that! The steak (better when med rare instead of med) was tender and juicy with so much flavor and the hot fudge sundae a nice touch for dessert. This menu is so much better than the Edge LPC menu, IMO.

 

Ocean View Cafe: 4 Stars - This was a great place to get Eggs Benedict - I don't know how they did it, but the eggs were never too runny or overcooked, the English muffins were soft and the Hollandaise sauce was not curdled. The Mexican Eggs Benedict were my favorite. There were the usual extensive choices for all meals and seemed to have something for everyone. We visited at 130 AM after a late concert and surprisingly the pizza was the way I like it (thin though soft crust, minimal sauce). I have not had pizza on a ship ever (or at least for many years because I can't remember having any) and was pleasantly surprised. I assumed it would be dry, hard and tasteless. There was usually enough seating and the outside deck was lovely as always.

 

Tuscan, MDR, Mast Grill, Room Service and Spa Cafe: We didn't do this time around.

 

Blu:

We had a mixed experience in Blu this time around, but ended up on a high note. Our friends will be in AQ next year (and us in Luminae) so we will likely dine there some and will invite them to Luminae once or twice, if space is available.

 

Dinner: 3 Stars for the first 2 nights and 4 Stars for the last 3 nights

 

The first night our friends arrived first and chose to sit on the left side against the wall at a table for 4. We had a rather serious waiter who didn't really get our humor. We tend to be a bit sarcastic (we think we are witty 😉) and very lively. Our waiter seemed perturbed with us joking with him and a bit insulted if we didn't take his recommendations. He was a little hard to understand at times and everyone but me heard him say that a dish was dry and tasteless and started saying "well I don't want that if it is dry and tasteless" until I explained that he actually said that we should order it med rare or it is dry and tasteless. It was a bit awkward that night and then we went to LPC the next night. Jenifer worked there at night on the other side of the room so I chatted with her the next day at Cafe al Bacio and explained that what had happened and that I hoped that our waiter didn't feel disrespected. She must have talked to him because it was like night and day the next time we went. He was smiling and laughed at our jokes and we ended up having a great time with him, Diego the asst waiter and of course Naughty Fernando, the hater of empty wine glasses. The last 3 nights we were there were so much fun! Now the food was a bit spotty. Someone in another thread said that the beef on Celebrity had been down-graded. We never had the filet offered, which is one of may favorites, but we didn't eat there 2 of the nights. The short rib was excellent, but my DH's ribeye was horrible - thin and mostly gristle. The lamb shank was phenomenal and the lobster was very good and everyone else had more than one. The duck was so-so. I had a few of my favorite appetizers that were good. The guys had their chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert every night and were happy.

 

Breakfast: 3.5 Stars at the beginning - 4 Stars by the end

Breakfast surprisingly was so-so at the beginning. They brought Eggs Benedict without any Hollandaise for our first breakfast. When we politely pointed it out, the waiter said it was there. We took a couple bites and left - there was no sauce and we had things to do. I had omelets after that when we went there and they were excellent. My DH asked for Eggs Benedict with extra sauce and had plenty of sauce after that. I asked for berry bowls each morning and those were great. The fresh fruit plate wasn't as good as usual (though the melon in the OVC was also not as good as usual either so may have been a ship thing). Breakfast seemed a little rushed some days, without any small talk from waiters. We went to the OVC for breakfast if eating at non-rush hour.

 

Anyway, Blu was a bit of a mixed bag, but overall we enjoyed ourselves. I think the manager was not quite up to par this cruise (not a very personable guy) and am not sure if the poor quality steak was a Celebrity cutback or chef issue. Anyway, we have eaten there enough to pick and choose what we know will be good (and the ribeye used to be good -hopefully just a one off). It was a lot busier than it was last year. I'm not sure if many AQ people went to the MDR last year or what, but the tables were mostly full this year. Getting a lot of people all at once after the show may have caused some of the issues.

 

Other Services:

WiFi: It was really bad compared to the Edge. I could get it in the cabin - better closer to the door - very slow. Forget the balcony. The best was in Cafe al Bacio. Was not available in theater in most places we sat (while waiting for a concert) and was hit or miss in many public areas. It would quit right in the middle of a post sometimes. It wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't been doing the live thread (and paid for unlimited). Will be better after the refurb for sure!  The WiFi texting worked very well.

 

Photos: Lots of cool Flower Power backgrounds and nice, non-pushy photographers. I bought a few pictures and they were very helpful at the photo place.

 

Being a charter, things are run differently, but I must say that the crew was as usual - excellent, helpful and gave us service with a smile! It was a great to be back on the Infinity and we look forward to sailing her again next year!! 🙂

 

I will do a compare and contrast of M Class vs Edge Class later (maybe a new thread). There were lots of differences, some things better on each class of ship, from my point of view. I'm glad we are booked on both classes next year and also on the refurbed Millie. 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I will do a compare and contrast of M Class vs Edge Class later (maybe a new thread). There were lots of differences, some things better on each class of ship, from my point of view. I'm glad we are booked on both classes next year and also on the refurbed Millie. 🙂

Sounds great! I'm thinking of a similar comparison between S class & Edge class. BTW thanks for the laugh over NAFC🤣. Thanks again for posting your stellar live review! You're amazing. I honestly don't know when you sleep😊 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Other Services:

WiFi: It was really bad compared to the Edge. I could get it in the cabin - better closer to the door - very slow. Forget the balcony. The best was in Cafe al Bacio. Was not available in theater in most places we sat (while waiting for a concert) and was hit or miss in many public areas. It would quit right in the middle of a post sometimes. It wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't been doing the live thread (and paid for unlimited). Will be better after the refurb for sure!  The WiFi texting worked very well.

 I read that passengers complained to Celebrity after getting off the Infinity about the poor WiFi connection and they got a refund.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaveCreekTraveler said:

Quick question for those who have gone multiple years, are the special dress occasions like 60s TV characters and British invasion the same every year? 2020 our first so have a year to get things together, lol.

It's been the similar for the 3 years we have been, with some differences:

This year the Beach Boys were there so there was a Beach theme one night and there was Crimson + Clover Bell Bottom Ball because of Tommy James another night.

 

On the other two we were on, there was definitely the British Invasion night, Psychedelic night, Bell Bottom Ball night and the 60's TV character night was added a couple of years ago. They will likely add another one - maybe it will have to do one of the performers as it did this year?

 

2019 themes:

https://flowerpowercruise.com/booked-guests/information-for-booked-guests/

 

I had suggested last year that they sell various Flower Power t-shirts onboard and they did this year (I'm sure others suggested this too). They offered a couple of different FPC shirts to buy prior to the cruise (delivered onboard) and then onboard in one of the shops there were some of those shirts, as well as Woodstock t-shirts, hats, etc. They also had some of the artists' t-shirts on sale, such as the Beach Boys and Cheech and Chong. For the Q+A's a lot of people wear a t-shirt with the artists' pictures on them and have them signed during the autograph sessions (or bring their album covers, guitars, etc. to be signed).

 

We also decorate our cabin doors - it's easy to find magnetic Flower Power stuff. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, first mate said:

 I read that passengers complained to Celebrity after getting off the Infinity about the poor WiFi connection and they got a refund.  😉

I probably should have, but I received a 10% + 35% discount so likely got my money's worth. It will be in my evaluation, which will be sent soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

It's been the similar for the 3 years we have been, with some differences:

This year the Beach Boys were there so there was a Beach theme one night and there was Crimson + Clover Bell Bottom Ball because of Tommy James another night.

 

On the other two we were on, there was definitely the British Invasion night, Psychedelic night, Bell Bottom Ball night and the 60's TV character night was added a couple of years ago. They will likely add another one - maybe it will have to do one of the performers as it did this year?

 

2019 themes:

https://flowerpowercruise.com/booked-guests/information-for-booked-guests/

 

I had suggested last year that they sell various Flower Power t-shirts onboard and they did this year (I'm sure others suggested this too). They offered a couple of different FPC shirts to buy prior to the cruise (delivered onboard) and then onboard in one of the shops there were some of those shirts, as well as Woodstock t-shirts, hats, etc. They also had some of the artists' t-shirts on sale, such as the Beach Boys and Cheech and Chong. For the Q+A's a lot of people wear a t-shirt with the artists' pictures on them and have them signed during the autograph sessions (or bring their album covers, guitars, etc. to be signed).

 

We also decorate our cabin doors - it's easy to find magnetic Flower Power stuff. 🙂

Thanks for the info, I can probably dig in my closet to find a lot of clothes that would fit into those categories! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, vtcruising said:

I was able to purchase an internet package using my Elite Plus discount ahead of time, but once onboard there are no CC perks (except embarkation lines - it did have my level on my SeaPass card for some reason). You do get CC points for the cruise. We were dirty hippies and didn't do laundry. 😉

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news! It appears that they are adding another Flower Power Cruise - 5 nights March 23-28, 2020. They sent out a tentative email today to those who are booked on March 28-April 4 FPC to give a chance for those booked to do a B2B before opening it up to all.

 

It looks like we won’t get to book until 5/14 so not sure when open to all. It is on the Infinity again. 

 

They mentioned some possible bands but nothing firm yet: The Guess Who, Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals, Zombies, Chuck Negron from Three Dog Night, Box Tops, Cowsills. We really like all of those performers (have seen them on previous FPCs).

 

Anyway, wanted to let people who didn’t get a cabin on 7 night cruise that the 5 night one may be a possibility. 😀🌸🌈✌️

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Anyway, wanted to let people who didn’t get a cabin on 7 night cruise that the 5 night one may be a possibility. 😀🌸🌈✌️

 

Thanks for the heads up! So, those of you who are already booked on a FP cruise can book this additional cruise on 5/14? Decisions, decisions😜  I know that neither booking perks (Bev pkg etc.), nor CC benefits are included on charters, but are the usual beverages from Michael’s Club still available for suite guests? Thanks🍹✌️😎

Edited by Silkroad
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks for the heads up! So, those of you who are already booked on a FP cruise can book this additional cruise on 5/14? Decisions, decisions😜  I know that neither booking perks (Bev pkg etc.), nor CC benefits are included on charters, but are the usual beverages from Michael’s Club still available for suite guests? Thanks🍹✌️😎

I registered for the 24 hr pre-sale on May 14 and then I guess they will open it up after that 24 hrs. I guess those of us already booked can get our same cabins for the 5 day as well and make it a 12-day B2B. Hopefully will get more details before then. It sounds like a work in progress. My DH is worried he wouldn't survive 12 days because he had too much fun on the last one and it was only 7 days. I told him we just would need to pace ourselves.... 😉

 

As George said, we will have MC for drinks (we won't buy a package this time). It looks like the sky suites will be $2749 PP for 5 days.

 

As soon as I know more about the bands, I'll let you know, so that you will have time to find your bell bottoms and gogo boots. :classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I registered for the 24 hr pre-sale on May 14 and then I guess they will open it up after that 24 hrs. I guess those of us already booked can get our same cabins for the 5 day as well and make it a 12-day B2B. Hopefully will get more details before then. It sounds like a work in progress. My DH is worried he wouldn't survive 12 days because he had too much fun on the last one and it was only 7 days. I told him we just would need to pace ourselves.... 😉

 

As George said, we will have MC for drinks (we won't buy a package this time). It looks like the sky suites will be $2749 PP for 5 days.

 

As soon as I know more about the bands, I'll let you know, so that you will have time to find your bell bottoms and gogo boots. :classic_smile:

I registered for the pre-sale today, but I won't be able to book on the 14th (not already being booked on the other one). We like the bands that are tentatively listed, but we're bummed to miss Arlo Guthrie. It would be so sweeeet if both he and Cheech & Chong were added to the lineup! It would be fun to splash out on a Sky Suite, but I fear they'll be snapped up by all of you who are already booked on the seven day😜  Ha ha, I won't be hunting for my gogo boots, because I never had any.  You would have found me wearing leather "hippy" aka "Jesus" sandals or moccasins back in the day🌺🌼🌻✌️

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I registered for the pre-sale today, but I won't be able to book on the 14th (not already being booked on the other one). We like the bands that are tentatively listed, but we're bummed to miss Arlo Guthrie. It would be so sweeeet if both he and Cheech & Chong were added to the lineup! It would be fun to splash out on a Sky Suite, but I fear they'll be snapped up by all of you who are already booked on the seven day😜  Ha ha, I won't be hunting for my gogo boots, because I never had any.  You would have found me wearing leather "hippy" aka "Jesus" sandals or moccasins back in the day🌺🌼🌻✌️

 

I'm wondering how it will shake out. There were a few cabins for the 7 night cruise on the wait list last night so if you aren't on the wait list and want to go on that one, it would be good to get on it. I'm wondering if some people will ask if they can switch to the 5 night (for reasons such as if they like the artists better, the dates or the shorter, less expensive cruise) so maybe there will be some openings (if they allow them to switch their deposits over). I would bet that there will be some suites open for the 5 night - not everyone will be able to do both cruises.

 

They add people every year after the initial announcement so Arlo could be added to the 5 night. I would love to see Cheech +Chong again too - quite a few people were upset that they were not PG13, so I wonder. They did seem to like being on the cruise so maybe they would tone it down a little.

 

This was the wording for the artists:

 

"We will sail from Miami, FL, March 23 – 28, 2020 and make two sun-soaked ports of call in lovely Caribbean destinations*. As always, the superstar lineup will feature a who's who of your favorite Love Generation artists. The roster we are hoping to have on this sailing includes The Zombies, Felix Cavaliere's Rascals, The Guess Who, The Cowsills, The Box Tops, Chuck Negron formerly of Three Dog Night, and many more that we can't quite reveal to you...yet."

 

Yes, I didn't have gogo boots either. My senior year in high school I wore denim work shirts, bell bottom jeans and barn boots - quite the fashionista. 😉

wine.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, vtcruising said:

 

I'm wondering how it will shake out. There were a few cabins for the 7 night cruise on the wait list last night so if you aren't on the wait list and want to go on that one, it would be good to get on it. I'm wondering if some people will ask if they can switch to the 5 night (for reasons such as if they like the artists better, the dates or the shorter, less expensive cruise) so maybe there will be some openings (if they allow them to switch their deposits over). I would bet that there will be some suites open for the 5 night - not everyone will be able to do both cruises.

 

They add people every year after the initial announcement so Arlo could be added to the 5 night. I would love to see Cheech +Chong again too - quite a few people were upset that they were not PG13, so I wonder. They did seem to like being on the cruise so maybe they would tone it down a little.

 

This was the wording for the artists:

 

"We will sail from Miami, FL, March 23 – 28, 2020 and make two sun-soaked ports of call in lovely Caribbean destinations*. As always, the superstar lineup will feature a who's who of your favorite Love Generation artists. The roster we are hoping to have on this sailing includes The Zombies, Felix Cavaliere's Rascals, The Guess Who, The Cowsills, The Box Tops, Chuck Negron formerly of Three Dog Night, and many more that we can't quite reveal to you...yet."

 

Yes, I didn't have gogo boots either. My senior year in high school I wore denim work shirts, bell bottom jeans and barn boots - quite the fashionista. 😉

wine.jpg

 

 

I was just looking at this post and saw this picture attached. I have no idea why that is there - must have been brain dead after a long day at work. 😉

 

It does make me want to have a glass of wine!

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...