Cruise Critic Community
efisher

Final payment

Hi everyone. We are booked for Alaska in July. I have our final payment written down on my calendar as due Apr 1. Will Celebrity email me to verify the amount and date that the payment is due???

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, efisher said:

Hi everyone. We are booked for Alaska in July. I have our final payment written down on my calendar as due Apr 1. Will Celebrity email me to verify the amount and date that the payment is due???

Thanks!!

Sorry, they do not email reminders. You have everything you need (reservation number, ship, departure date, cabin number, outstanding balance & final payment date) in the information you received at the time you booked your reservation. I suggest you make your final payment a couple of days prior to the final payment date to avoid any unforeseen problems that might arise.

I’d pay it today if I could.  Things can happen and a day or two buffer is always nice.

I have always received a reminder but ultimately you are responsible. Check your cruise by signing in online to verify your date or call Celebrity

I started getting email reminders about a month before the final payment date and then received one weekly. I usually like to pay online a few days early just in case if problems. We are in the U.K. so might be different elsewhere. 

We get email reminders about final payment but I don't rely on them.  I always have the payment date in mind and pay a few days before.

My agent has it setup in Celebrity's system to automatically charge my card on the due date.   Never had a problem. 

Posted (edited)

We mark our final payment date on the calendar and pay it on that date.

Never a problem.

If their system is down, or they are unable to accept the payment for whatever reason (as happened to us a couple of times over the years), they just extend your due date.

We do not want any travel agent to store our credit card information as we know people whose accounts got hacked that way.  So even when we have a travel agent make a payment for us, we request reassurance that they will immediately delete our credit card info and not store it.

Besides, we may want to use a different credit card the next time.

Edited by fleckle

47 minutes ago, fleckle said:

We mark our final payment date on the calendar and pay it on that date.

Never a problem.

If their system is down, or they are unable to accept the payment for whatever reason (as happened to us a couple of times over the years), they just extend your due date.

We do not want any travel agent to store our credit card information as we know people whose accounts got hacked that way.  So even when we have a travel agent make a payment for us, we request reassurance that they will immediately delete our credit card info and not store it.

Besides, we may want to use a different credit card the next time.

If you do worry, you can use virtual credit card number. There is no way to know if they can or they do remove your credit card record from the system. The person on the phone may not even know how to do that or have the security level to access that information.

I booked online at my TA's website and the final payment was automatically scheduled on the due date which was on a Saturday. It was finally charged in the late afternoon of the due date. I do not worry about scheduled payments as I have a dozen or so scheduled every month for decades and I always keep a PDF of the scheduled payment confirmation. There was only one issue with American Express in the last 20 years or so that their system got hacked and lost my payment information. They acknowledged that once they escalated the case to higher level and refunded me the financial fee and penalty as a courtesy credit. A few weeks later, they recovered the data and refunded me again the fee and penalty.

I enter it in my calendar on my phone and set up email and notification reminders for 1 week before final, as well as for 2 days.

22 hours ago, efisher said:

Thanks!!

I find this interesting.  You are posting this question, but your payment is due NOW.  Just pay it.  It is literally hours before the drop dead timing.  And, as others have mentioned, it isn't the best approach to wait until the last minute.