Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
herrHF

A white space?

Recommended Posts

Finally we have got our stateroom number 4164 (Noordam Sydney-New Zealand, sailing April 7th). Just a week before sailing, which seems quite normal. 

 

Looking at the plan for Upper promenade deck, we notice a white space right next to that Verandah cabin. Anyone know what that might be? Something noisy?

 

/h

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what the space is, but the balcony is huge.  Might want to go to   halfacts    dot    com  , there is 4164 on the Oosterdam which I believe is the same room as on the Noordam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The white space is a staircase used by crew. Those cabins are usually booked early. Congratulations on your assignment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you a light sleeper?

 

That space is a stairwell (maybe elevator) for the crew.  I have been next to one of them (an unexpected "upgrade") and would hear the door into and out of the area slamming at all hours of the night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the fast and prompt answers. I think we can live with that stairway. The crew has to be somewhere, don´t they? 

 

We are still home in Umea, Sweden, and going to Sydney on Tuesday. Our son lives there, so we´ll spend a few days with them before we go.

 

/h

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Are you a light sleeper?

 

That space is a stairwell (maybe elevator) for the crew.  I have been next to one of them (an unexpected "upgrade") and would hear the door into and out of the area slamming at all hours of the night.

 

Yes on the crew staircase and no on the crew elevator - they are located elsewhere on the Vistas and there are more than one. There are big signs on the interior of the "crew only" doors leading out into the public corridors instructing crew that they are entering "guest country," to be considerate of that fact, and not to slam doors. In addition, overhead door stoppers are adjusted so that the door is supposed to shut quietly. Hearing crew doors "slamming at all hours of the night" is unacceptable and grounds for complaints and follow-up by supervisison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friends of ours had the equivalent cabin on our recent Oosterdam cruise.  They were thrilled with their giant balcony, said the staircase was never used (as far as they knew by ear) except when it was used by them and crew members during muster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 8:05 AM, Copper10-8 said:

 

Yes on the crew staircase and no on the crew elevator - they are located elsewhere on the Vistas and there are more than one. There are big signs on the interior of the "crew only" doors leading out into the public corridors instructing crew that they are entering "guest country," to be considerate of that fact, and not to slam doors. In addition, overhead door stoppers are adjusted so that the door is supposed to shut quietly. Hearing crew doors "slamming at all hours of the night" is unacceptable and grounds for complaints and follow-up by supervisison

Perhaps it has been changed but we were across from one of the crew doors on the Westerdam and it did not have a quiet close and we heard that door slamming shut very very early to very late.  It was so disruptive that we requested a cabin change.  Since we were on a back to back they did honor our request and moved us.  We sre now very aware of similar spaces when selecting our cabin.

 

it seems like an easy fix to put a slow quiet close on those doors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westcoastcruiser said:

Perhaps it has been changed but we were across from one of the crew doors on the Westerdam and it did not have a quiet close and we heard that door slamming shut very very early to very late.  It was so disruptive that we requested a cabin change.  Since we were on a back to back they did honor our request and moved us.  We sre now very aware of similar spaces when selecting our cabin.

 

it seems like an easy fix to put a slow quiet close on those doors.

 

100% agree with you! What you encountered should have been an easy fix for WEDM crew supervision. Housekeeping uses that particular door the most. I have seen guest complaints that are immediately transmitted via email, by guest services, to supervision of the involved dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...