OBC Nieuw Statendam from HAL and Big Box

Judyrem

Hello all, I am relatively new (only two in the past 20 years) to cruising, but have two cruises booked for this year😁.  One is RCI and the other is HAL.  I had OBC and used it for a beverage package on Harmony of the Seas, easy peasy.

I called Big box yesterday and they they said the OBC from both Big box and HAL would not be usable until on ship.🤨  I was going to order a few things and the Big box rep called HAL and they said no.  The Big box rep told me to call back, maybe they would change their policy.    The OBC is almost 500$!

Thoughts?

Edited by Judyrem
bad spelling.

On HAL, OBC (onboard credit) means exactly that - you can only spend it while onboard.  I do not like this policy (especially for shore excursions, which can sell out before sailing and I wish HAL would change it, but for now we are stuck.  You can use it to buy a beverage package or beverage card from HAL while onboard at any bar.

One thing - the OBC can be used for your daily hotel charge (about $15 depending on the cabin category).

Another - I am pretty certain that the OBC from a TA is refundable if you do not use it (might research that a bit more to be certain).  HAL uses up the OBC they provide first, then the TA/big box OBC next and then if anything left it goes on your credit card you provided for your charges.  

Edited by DaveOKC

Excellent reply Dave!  Thank you!😀

I guess I will just have to use it all up.  I had wanted to do the dining package for PG, Tamarind and Caneletto before cruising, but I  guess I will wait.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Another - I am pretty certain that the OBC from a TA is refundable if you do not use it (might research that a bit more to be certain).

We seldom spend the OBC that we receive from our Big Box TA and have never had any difficulty in having it refunded aboard in cash. As Canadians, it's an easy source for conversion-free USD.

As an aside, in February, the guest services staff member refunded the OBC but entered it as a credit to our account instead of a debit. I didn't realize until a few hours later when I was reviewing my account online. As tempting as it might have been to say nothing, I returned to guest services and had the entry corrected. The staff member was very relieved that I had caught the error and had brought it to her attention.

Big Box OBC will be refunded to you by HAL at the end of the cruise if you do not use it all as DaveOKC stated above.  You don’t have to wait to make your plans since if you don’t spend the obc onboard it will go back on your  credit card at the end of the cruise anyway.