Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

2 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

The last time they called me in the room is when they said the dog got a hit. 

You know “the dog got a hit” is their way of trying to get you to volunteer information. Like a pregnant pause during an interview. Human nature is to respond. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

That’s odd, perhaps their target was another cabin and it had already been identified. Targeted searches usually start with identification. 

Casual searches are much much less invasive, and this clearly was not one. To leave you standing in the hall in bathrobes for all that time is inexcusable. If an adjacent room was unoccupied they could have let you wait there. At least in an airport, they do those things in back rooms out of sight if the general public. Still pretty disagreeable. 

At at least you can now say “they gave it everything they had  and still found  nothing!”. 

It's not odd at all, they have the passenger manifest and know who the passengers are and what documentation they have (not to mention they had vetted all of the passengers during the cruise). I think the search being a pre-emptive strike for the following leg makes sense. They are under no obligation to tell exactly why they are searching.

• Thanks 1

Wasn't there another post a few weeks ago about a person having their cabin searched upon return to San Juan, she was fined and not happy.  Her story had some holes in it but with this one now, hhmmm.

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am sorry this happened to you.  I had a similar experience a few years ago when my 70-year-old SO was accused by Security of stealing a golf cart on Labadee.  I was eventually able to discuss the incident with somebody from Customer Relations and felt somewhat better, but it is an experience I will never forget and it still causes negative feelings when I am reminded of it.  I hope you are able to shake it off better than I did and you will not hang on to an unpleasant memory.

Some years ago, my wife and my 80+ year old Mom were pulled out randomly at the San Juan Airport for additional screening.  My wife was cursing and could not believe that I was not selected.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WpgCruise said:

I believe every country has the right to make whatever laws they want, and every non citizen has the right to decide if they want to visit that country or not.  It’s all good as long as we have choices.

Which is why I have chosen not to set foot on US soil before present conditions change. I simply wouldn't feel safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Apparently we were not singled out as half the back to back cruisers were raided as well. 

I wonder if they did multiple rooms of the B2Bers to reduce singling out who they thought it was, but then again, were any of the expected B2Bers missing on leg 2?

As someone who has been passenger and crew on ships this sounds like it was targeting anyone getting ready for the Atlantis cruise. Every single B2B passenger was indeed continuing on for the Atlantis cruise so they were NOT random at all. There have been multiple drug overdoses and deaths lately on these charters, the cruise line is trying to protect itself and allowing these raids even on B2B passengers to try to curtail this. As more and more word gets out about these raids, even on innocent people like yourselves, then more and more people will be afraid to bring any illegal drugs onboard for these charters. That is the direct result the cruise line and border patrol are seeking.

I am very curious to know if even 1 of the B2B passengers was arrested and taken offboard before the boarding of the Atlantis passengers. As you stated that you were only with one other couple this may be impossible for you to know, but if even 1 passenger had drugs it would justify the raids, no matter how intrusive they felt. 

Speaking of "other incidents" I was on a NCL ship and we were  in Roatan when a waiter of 30+ years with the line was arrested and walked off for having pot in his cabin! The lines are very serious about passengers and crew not having illegal drugs.

I will say I found your post refreshing as you weren't blaming and asking for free stuff etc....you just reported and opened a discussion...thanks for the positive attitude through it all! 🙂

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

Which is why I have chosen not to set foot on US soil before present conditions change. I simply wouldn't feel safe.

Customs Border searches have been occurring like this for decades.  A recent search on a cruise ship has NOTHING to do with "present conditions."  They occurred during past conditions and they'll occur during future conditions.  

If this was the case then it wasn’t a random search. That would be a targeted search.    We were told that it was a random routine search.   Our state room attendant concurred indicating this happens often.  

This was a Customs Border Search.  Targeted or not; makes no difference.  There's no reason for them to lie about whether or not it was random.  They have the legal authority either way.  Same way some people get sent to secondary when entering other countries...Canada included.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

You are probably safer now than you'll ever be.  However, like any place on the Planet, you have  to be aware of your surroundings.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

On February 3rd, 2109, while doing a back to back on Allure.  It was turn around day in Miami.  There was a knock on our stateroom door in the early morning. I was in the shower and my partner was not dressed. Whoever it was, was covering the peep hole so we couldn’t see. We opened the door and It was a customs search team. Nine officers dressed in black with bullet proof vests, a ship security guard and a dog. We were allowed to put on robes and we waited barefoot, under guard in the hallway (on display to the other passengers walking by) while 4 of the officers and the dog ripped our room apart. We each got called in a couple of times to answer questions because they said the dog got a hit in the room.  All I had was prescriptions so there was nothing of course.  I wondered if they say that to everyone to try to get them to crack.   Eventually they left leaving us a mess. All of our neighbours think we’re druglords!

At the back to backers meeting area we soon found out that half of them were raided as well.  

After 28 cruises this was something new!  Our room attendant told us it happens just about every week.  Just so you know they showed us no paperwork what so ever.  We are from Canada so I do not know the legalities.  It just seemed wrong to me to be raided, accused of hiding something in the room and our dignity taking a hit without direct cause or any paperwork.  I will add that they were all respectful to us, even when they accused me of having "something" hidden in the room somewhere. 

At least I have a great story to tell now! Although it was quite disturbing to us on the day it happened.

Cheers!

Good reason to keep prescription drugs in original containers.

A few years ago I met a Doctor onboard and his wife who had medical marijuana. He said he had all legal documents. I’ve wondered about what could happen if overzealous police from a local country might do.

A few years ago a cruise ship were on was searched and the crew was caught smuggling cocaine in the seat cushions in a lounge. Pre security cameras. What a scene. Scary. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You are probably safer now than you'll ever be.  However, like any place on the Planet, you have  to be aware of your surroundings.

I'm not afraid of being mugged. I'm afraid of the police and customs officials. As a Dane I would feel completely without rights. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

I'm not afraid of being mugged. I'm afraid of the police and customs officials. As a Dane I would feel completely without rights. 

Never had a problem with the police or custom officials.  If you're not doing something illegal no need to worry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

As someone who has been passenger and crew on ships this sounds like it was targeting anyone getting ready for the Atlantis cruise. Every single B2B passenger was indeed continuing on for the Atlantis cruise so they were NOT random at all. There have been multiple drug overdoses and deaths lately on these charters, the cruise line is trying to protect itself and allowing these raids even on B2B passengers to try to curtail this. As more and more word gets out about these raids, even on innocent people like yourselves, then more and more people will be afraid to bring any illegal drugs onboard for these charters. That is the direct result the cruise line and border patrol are seeking.

I am very curious to know if even 1 of the B2B passengers was arrested and taken offboard before the boarding of the Atlantis passengers. As you stated that you were only with one other couple this may be impossible for you to know, but if even 1 passenger had drugs it would justify the raids, no matter how intrusive they felt. 

Speaking of "other incidents" I was on a NCL ship and we were  in Roatan when a waiter of 30+ years with the line was arrested and walked off for having pot in his cabin! The lines are very serious about passengers and crew not having illegal drugs.

I will say I found your post refreshing as you weren't blaming and asking for free stuff etc....you just reported and opened a discussion...thanks for the positive attitude through it all! 🙂

Not all the B2B were searched, so it was random. Every other passenger either leaving or boarding had to go through a potential drug search.  

So much drama

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Never had a problem with the police or custom officials.  If you're not doing something illegal no need to worry. 

Tell that to young, black guys.

I'm a foreigner. I'm a woman. I don't speak the language properly. I'm under-priviledged.

No thanks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cementhands said:

A few years ago I met a Doctor onboard and his wife who had medical marijuana. He said he had all legal documents. I’ve wondered about what could happen if overzealous police from a local country might do.

A few years ago a cruise ship were on was searched and the crew was caught smuggling cocaine in the seat cushions in a lounge. Pre security cameras. What a scene. Scary. 

We had to get import licenses to enter Singapore with certain meds.

26 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

🤔CNN, right.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

Don't let the fake news get to you.  We do not have a Police State and believe me, in the present environment a non-citizen has more rights and benefits than a US Citizen.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I am from Winnipeg as well! 😄

My surprise was that the land of the free didn’t feel so free to me 😄 as I was barefoot in a Royal Caribbean bathrobe in the hallway under guard. 

The other passengers that were raided were from the USA and they were treated the same way as us.  I guess drug smuggling is a real issue in the states and they are willing to give up certain freedoms at the borders to catch these people.

I imagine many countries have different entry requirements than what would be acceptable once you are actually in the country.  For example once you are in the United States, seach warrants are required to enter someone's house.

However, you were not actually in the United States, you in a port area and have not cleared customs so the rules are different.  Again I imagine other countries have similiar border control policies.

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Right.. but you said you were on a B2B so this was between the non Atlantis cruise, and the Atlantis cruise, correct?

Maybe with the problems they have had in the past, they wanted to make sure the B2B people were not trying to avoid heightened security at the time of embarkation for the Atlantis cruise, by circumventing the normal boarding process? In other words, people could have brought on drugs the week before with less scrutiny. I don't know this is what happened... but seems plausible.

You may very well be correct.

If this was the case then it wasn’t a random search. That would be a targeted search.    We were told that it was a random routine search.   Our state room attendant concurred indicating this happens often.  

"Happens often" is a relative term.  It could happen every cruise to 5-10 cabins which would be often but on a ship the size of the Allure it would be infinitesimal  in the grand scheme of things.

Whenever you travel between countries your subject to their entry requirements.

In regards to being "humiliated"  Understandable, but even in the United States, a house can be search with valid search order issued by a judge because there is probable cause.  I am sure over the years there have been hundreds of thousands if not more where nothing has been found.  While it sucks for the people caught in this situation, it happens.

50 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Lot of places don't care if they have a prescription for medical marijuana. Every year dozens get fined and arrested in Bermuda. They come onboard with the dog and will go in the safe. We might consider the police there overzealous but to them they are doing their job. The magistrates don't care if the passenger has a prescription. The passengers pay a $2000 t0 $4000 fine or they go to jail.

• Like 1

Not so much recently, mainly right after 9/11, as a Single Adult Male that travel 10+ months a yr, buying last min Airline Tickets 2/3 time secondary screened. Letters in Baggage that were a mess, Airports and Cruise. This even in Dec2019. take ltr flights always one last off cruises and think that also put Bulls-Eye on me... Year ago, was a "Bong" while checking out. Pulled aside and walked off the ship by Customs. Baggage was Valet, but when got home was a mess... Was in Military and Federal Employee, worked with some DEA and State police for while, interesting work and lot of it...

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Wrong.

We were on a cruise where it was obvious the young men in a cabin down the hall were "casual" pot smokers.

They ended up under cabin confinement with a security officer standing guard round the clock outside their door.

They were removed at the next port and turned over to authorities.

Agree. Have seen happen before myself. Probably best not to smoke even as a Casual Pot Smoker or someone Prescribed as doesn't matter even State to State let alone leaving/entering Countries. Gives them right search further. Thought everyone's watch COPS or LivePD...

Edited by ONECRUISER