Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

4 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

[...] As to your other question, no idea whether there was a Norwegian pilot onboard or not. To navigate such an apparently difficult and dangerous stretch of water, you'd think it wouldn't be a bad idea.[...]

You actually had two experienced Norwegian pilots onboard, both supporting the captains decision to sail through the storm. They have in retrospect also clearly stated in media that the recurring references to Hurtigruten staying in port don't make sense as the ships are quite different, appraising the captain and his crew for excellent seamanship during the situation, and also adding that a ship like Viking Sky would normally have no problem at all sailing through such weathers. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DGHOC said:

In addition to all Viking have already offered us, in his Fedexed letter received today, Torstein Hagen says;

'Finally, you are also invited to join me as my guests on the maiden cruise of our latest vessel, Viking Venus, at my expense in early 2021. Details of this will be coming from my office in due course'

As I previously stated, we cannot fault them.

We got the same letter today. The Mar 14 cruise was refunded to our credit card on Mar 25. We hadn’t even left the ship.

i think we need Viking Sky survivor t-shirts and a theme song sung to the tune of Gillian’s Island.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

We got the same letter today. The Mar 14 cruise was refunded to our credit card on Mar 25. We hadn’t even left the ship.

i think we need Viking Sky survivor t-shirts and a theme song sung to the tune of Gillian’s Island.

LOL...I mentioned to one of the Viking reps about us having a t-shirt..."I survived...."   I'll compose the jingle if someone else does the lyrics....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DGHOC said:

In addition to all Viking have already offered us, in his Fedexed letter received today, Torstein Hagen says;

'Finally, you are also invited to join me as my guests on the maiden cruise of our latest vessel, Viking Venus, at my expense in early 2021. Details of this will be coming from my office in due course'

As I previously stated, we cannot fault them.

Oh wow, that’s awesome!

• Like 1

Now, THAT is the way to make amends and KEEP customers/clients!

Compare that to other 'unfortunate' cruises (albeit, yes, not nearly as scary/dangerous/etc. - but still...!) from other cruise lines, where there is something like a *partial* credit for another cruise, and perhaps a token partial refund (IF those!).

Viking can't "undo" what happened (alas), but they CAN - and seemingly are - doing a very good job of making passengers feel that their difficulties are indeed fully recognized, and appropriate compensation (plus) is being offered.

And yes... for those who can make the "reunion cruise", that will be quite special!

Glad all ended as well as it did, given the possible outcome...

GC

• Like 4

Bless their hearts, those kids were real troopers.

Did you see the Beatles show after the captain's speech Haworth? I know how scared they were, we'd spent time with them, and what a front they were putting on right through the ghastly 24 hours. And to summon up the strength to perform like that was nothing short of miraculous. I know there's the age old show bizzy adage of the show must go on, but these were young kids not long in the tooth pros. They were magnificent and I commend them.

I spoke with a couple of Viking people about the staff and that I sincerely hoped they were going to be rewarded and taken care of. I was reassured twice that much was to be done for them, including counselling where needed. I really hope that the staff are in some way looked after as they are doing us.

If Viking are reading these threads then please take note of the suggestion that the same staff should populate the ship along with us, what a celebration cruise it would be. Of course I dare say the logistics of that would be a nightmare as they'll have secured places on other cruises.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

Bless their hearts, those kids were real troopers.

Did you see the Beatles show after the captain's speech Haworth? I know how scared they were, we'd spent time with them, and what a front they were putting on right through the ghastly 24 hours. And to summon up the strength to perform like that was nothing short of miraculous. I know there's the age old show bizzy adage of the show must go on, but these were young kids not long in the tooth pros. They were magnificent and I commend them.

I spoke with a couple of Viking people about the staff and that I sincerely hoped they were going to be rewarded and taken care of. I was reassured twice that much was to be done for them, including counselling where needed. I really hope that the staff are in some way looked after as they are doing us.

If Viking are reading these threads then please take note of the suggestion that the same staff should populate the ship along with us, what a celebration cruise it would be. Of course I dare say the logistics of that would be a nightmare as they'll have secured places on other cruises.

We did see the show and concur with everything you say, it was the first cruise for one of the Girls!

We have been in contact with some of our fellow theatre residents, everyone is keen on a 2021 reunion

• Like 1

Indeed....it'd be really nice if some sort of private dinner could be arranged onboard the new ship just for Sky passengers. I said to my wife that we should not waste time booking that cruise when it becomes available. The Sky passengers alone could nearly fill it! 

12 hours ago, Haworth said:

It would be fantastic to have the same entertainment team and staff as well, a chance to say thanks and to add to the party atmosphere 

Email Viking and ask them....great idea. Probably depends on who is contracted to perform where and when on the ships.

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

2 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Indeed....it'd be really nice if some sort of private dinner could be arranged onboard the new ship just for Sky passengers. I said to my wife that we should not waste time booking that cruise when it becomes available. The Sky passengers alone could nearly fill it! 

It might have to be a "private dinner" for almost everyone, if most are able to schedule to accept that wonderful invitation.

:classic_smile:

We are amazed at how Viking has handled this.

Problems happen.  It's how they are handled that makes the difference!

GC

Seriously! Would need to use the dining room and probably Manfredi's and Chef's Table! It'll be really interesting...looking forward to it already.  Never been on a maiden voyage. Cool opportunity. 

5 hours ago, CharTrav said:

As I read this thread, I can’t help but continue to be amazed and impressed by Viking. 

What has astonished me (J of JD) is that everything Viking has offered us has been given with no strings attached, no waivers or releases to sign.  I am deeply appreciative of all that Viking has done.

Edited by JDincalif
Clarify my thought.OCD momemt
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I'm wondering if perhaps the "maiden voyage" that you've been invited on will truly be a maiden voyage, and not the ship's first "cruise." 

By way of explanation, I will be sailing on the Viking Jupiter in a couple months.  The first Viking Jupiter cruise that I was able to find on Viking's website began on 16 February this year, starting (iirc) in Athens.  However, the ship did have a "voyage" that started a week or so earlier - possibly beginning at the Italian shipyard where she was built - and hopping around a number of ports in the Adriatic before arriving in Athens.  There was an incident (reported in the Viking Ocean forum on CC) upon Jupiter's arrival in Athens, where a tug's line broke in windy conditions, and the ship struck a pier and sustained some minor damage.  I'd assumed that the ship held only crew, since the first cruise for this ship on Viking's website was to begin on 16 February, but the reports mentioned 500 or so "passengers" on the ship.  I found it hard to believe that Viking would only be able to sell around 60% of the cabins on a new ship's first sailing.  I then imagined that these must have been travel industry (or other) VIPs invited by Viking for the ship's "maiden voyage."

I suspect they may do something similar for all of you.  Although, I haven't tried researching to see whether Viking has started selling any cruises on Viking Venus yet, and if they haven't, they would certainly be able to reserve the first scheduled "cruise" for your group.

3 hours ago, just_dont said:

I'm wondering if perhaps the "maiden voyage" that you've been invited on will truly be a maiden voyage, and not the ship's first "cruise." 

By way of explanation, I will be sailing on the Viking Jupiter in a couple months.  The first Viking Jupiter cruise that I was able to find on Viking's website began on 16 February this year, starting (iirc) in Athens.  However, the ship did have a "voyage" that started a week or so earlier - possibly beginning at the Italian shipyard where she was built - and hopping around a number of ports in the Adriatic before arriving in Athens.  There was an incident (reported in the Viking Ocean forum on CC) upon Jupiter's arrival in Athens, where a tug's line broke in windy conditions, and the ship struck a pier and sustained some minor damage.  I'd assumed that the ship held only crew, since the first cruise for this ship on Viking's website was to begin on 16 February, but the reports mentioned 500 or so "passengers" on the ship.  I found it hard to believe that Viking would only be able to sell around 60% of the cabins on a new ship's first sailing.  I then imagined that these must have been travel industry (or other) VIPs invited by Viking for the ship's "maiden voyage."

I suspect they may do something similar for all of you.  Although, I haven't tried researching to see whether Viking has started selling any cruises on Viking Venus yet, and if they haven't, they would certainly be able to reserve the first scheduled "cruise" for your group.

This fairly common with new ships. Once construction is well underway, they can fine tune the delivery date. Although the maiden voyage has already been arranged, based on the original schedule, if the ship is delivered early, they can schedule a pre-maiden voyage.

With a scheduled launch in early 2021, they won't have even started cutting steel, so no fine tuning of delivery is possible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Just checked the AIS tracker and Viking Sun is currently 20 miles offshore at 18 kts, bound for Copenhagen. ETA 10:00 on April 5th.

Edited by Heidi13

23 hours ago, just_dont said:

I wondered also as to what is actually meant by a 'maiden voyage', especially having never been involved in the initial sailing dates on any ship. As you say, if a good number of 3/14/19 passengers decide to go, it could already fill a good portion of the ship, so I wonder how they will handle this - whether or not the cruise we're invited on will also be open to the public or reserved in some manner.