Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
KyOh

Viking Sky survivors

Recommended Posts

JD...thanks for the very thorough and balanced reply. At the risk of oversimplification, a précis of your post might be accomplished by using the old 'hindsight is 20/20' adage. It is for the experts to evaluate at this point as to whether or not the option chosen on the weekend of the 23rd - given all the possible (and even more undoubtedly) scenarios you suggest - was the right one. And if 'fortune favored the foolish' (or the bold?) in some fashion, so be it. 
I'm just glad that you and all the other passengers made it home safely. I think we've all learned quite a bit more about how cruise ships are operated and captained, how the power systems work, how the Viking crew respond in emergency situations, how Norwegian rescue crews work, and how the Norwegian people support the cruise industry passengers in time of need.
Cheers to you all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have an update on the injured passengers?  I keep thinking about the unfortunate person who suffered a broken neck....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest sending an email to the dedicated email address we were given by the chairman at the meeting, as well as on the video email from him.  I know I have sent two emails to him, which were responded to, as well as receiving a phone call from them with clarification info on my request.  I am sure they will be honest and let you know if they have any info.  It is possible the people injured may not want that info released though.  All in all, as has been stated a number of times, Viking has handled this situation and follow-up excellently.  As I said to Chairman Hagen in our meeting, I was in a service related business before retiring.  The mark of a good company is how it handles adversity and problems.  It my opinion, Viking has excelled in handling this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

John...just read your review of the trip (I just wrote one and noticed and recognized the name)....turns out we were neighbors onboard!!! We were in 5052 - undoubtedly said hello many times during the voyage. Not sure if your room was to the right or left of ours. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just joined Cruise Critic and immediately gravitated to this board. I hope all the Sky survivors here are doing well.

 

While I am not a Sky survivor, I am a Sky alumnus (Southern Mediterranean Discovery - December 2018). More relevant, I was booked on the Sky's next cruise (Scandinavia & The Kiel Canal) which was cancelled. While we were not invited for the 2021 maiden voyage, we did receive full cash reimbursement of every nickel paid to Viking - plus a voucher for the full fare portion of the missed cruise for the inconvenience of the cancellation. We didn't even have to book a new cruise - we were able to apply the vouchers to the balance due for a cruise we had booked last December. Needless to say, we are very pleased - and booked two additional cruises, including Scandinavia & The Kiel Canal for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea how they handled those who were booked on that canceled cruise. Cannot fathom the amount of money that Viking has paid out in the wake of this crisis. I can't even imagine what might be paid out in medical bills, unless under maritime law they don't have to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

John...just read your review of the trip (I just wrote one and noticed and recognized the name)....turns out we were neighbors onboard!!! We were in 5052 - undoubtedly said hello many times during the voyage. Not sure if your room was to the right or left of ours. 

Hi neighbor.  Not sure if you were the ones who alerted my wife about the northern lights.  She was thrilled when she got the call!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I had no idea how they handled those who were booked on that canceled cruise. Cannot fathom the amount of money that Viking has paid out in the wake of this crisis. I can't even imagine what might be paid out in medical bills, unless under maritime law they don't have to. 

 

23 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I had no idea how they handled those who were booked on that canceled cruise. Cannot fathom the amount of money that Viking has paid out in the wake of this crisis. I can't even imagine what might be paid out in medical bills, unless under maritime law they don't have to. 

According to what Mr Hagen said at our meeting that all medical expenses would be taken care of. I agree this has cost them a tidy sum but the handling of the situation has won over many passengers. I think of the way other cruise lines have handled their emergency situations, even if not as critical; it pales to the way Viking has handled this.  I know some people would say insurance may cover it, but the way they took ownership of handling it, sparing no expense or support is something that can’t be overlooked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, johneb2 said:

Hi neighbor.  Not sure if you were the ones who alerted my wife about the northern lights.  She was thrilled when she got the call!

 

Ummm..no..that must have been your other next-door neighbors 🙂   I know we often wound up talking briefly to you and your wife though in passing. Your room was just forward (to the right) of ours when facing the door. You might possibly recognize my wife from this video, which was associated with a newspaper article that featured our story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6jTHFbebY    And if not, the video is interesting anyway!  

 

Totally agree...Viking went WAY above and beyond. I'm in awe of everything they did for us. Sure hope that 2021 Venus cruise has a bit of a 'reunion' feel to it...hoping to make it depending when and where it sails. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 10:07 PM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

John...just read your review of the trip (I just wrote one and noticed and recognized the name)....turns out we were neighbors onboard!!! We were in 5052 - undoubtedly said hello many times during the voyage. Not sure if your room was to the right or left of ours. 

Hi, do you have a link to your review? I couldn’t find it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi jsea.....I checked again just now and it appears it hasn't posted yet. Got an email from CC shortly after I submitted it and it referred to receiving (another) email notification once it's listed. I'll post a link when it's up. Spent a decent amount of time on it so hope it didn't get 'lost in cyberspace'. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

 

Ummm..no..that must have been your other next-door neighbors 🙂   I know we often wound up talking briefly to you and your wife though in passing. Your room was just forward (to the right) of ours when facing the door. You might possibly recognize my wife from this video, which was associated with a newspaper article that featured our story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6jTHFbebY    And if not, the video is interesting anyway!  

 

Totally agree...Viking went WAY above and beyond. I'm in awe of everything they did for us. Sure hope that 2021 Venus cruise has a bit of a 'reunion' feel to it...hoping to make it depending when and where it sails. 

Yes now I remember!  Hopefully we will see you on the 2021 Venus cruise.  Carolyn & I have two more Viking cruises booked (river cruises to Mekong Delta & Porto, Portugal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I had no idea how they handled those who were booked on that canceled cruise. Cannot fathom the amount of money that Viking has paid out in the wake of this crisis. I can't even imagine what might be paid out in medical bills, unless under maritime law they don't have to. 

Marine Liability is limited by IMO Convention - Convention on Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims. If Norway, as the Flag State, is a signatory to this Convention, they will have introduced National Act/Regulations.

 

While I have never been involved in the application, we did cover it many years ago while learning Ship Master's Business. I recall it being rather complicated, involving a pool of claimants, with the pool fund comprising "Special Drawing Units" based on size of ship.

 

I believe Viking's response to those passengers on the sailing and the missed sailing are way beyond any legal obligations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heidi13...thanks. Most interesting!  You're absolutely right...Viking did go way above and beyond for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 2:15 AM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Cannot fathom the amount of money that Viking has paid out in the wake of this crisis. I can't even imagine what might be paid out in medical bills, unless under maritime law they don't have to. 

 

If you're thinking about medical bills for the use of hospitals and other medical assistance ashore in Norway that would amount to zero as it's covered by the national healthcare system. It might work a little different here from that you're used to 🙂 Same goes for the rescue operation; Some of the helicopters and personnel were military and some of them were from private companies mainly serving the oil industry, but also for the latter the bill will be picked up by the government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Hi jsea.....I checked again just now and it appears it hasn't posted yet. Got an email from CC shortly after I submitted it and it referred to receiving (another) email notification once it's listed. I'll post a link when it's up. Spent a decent amount of time on it so hope it didn't get 'lost in cyberspace'. 

Thanks so much. And thank you, @johneb2 for your review. We have sailed Sky before and are scheduled for her at the end of May. Been following the Sky threads with great interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 6:58 AM, Sucellos said:

 

If you're thinking about medical bills for the use of hospitals and other medical assistance ashore in Norway that would amount to zero as it's covered by the national healthcare system. It might work a little different here from that you're used to 🙂 Same goes for the rescue operation; Some of the helicopters and personnel were military and some of them were from private companies mainly serving the oil industry, but also for the latter the bill will be picked up by the government.

 

Including foreign visitors to your lovely country?  I'm very surprised by that, since it's not like that in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Including foreign visitors to your lovely country?  I'm very surprised by that, since it's not like that in Canada.

Wendy - when growing up in UK, the NHS was the same - they treated anyone regardless of residency. However that changed a few years ago in UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Many thanks! Great photo of the northern lights. I hope to see them some day myself.

 

Curious to hear from subsequent Sky cruisers with regard to state of the ship, but that’s for another thread.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jsea said:

Many thanks! Great photo of the northern lights. I hope to see them some day myself.

 

Curious to hear from subsequent Sky cruisers with regard to state of the ship, but that’s for another thread.

 

Thanks again.

We sail on the Sky this Friday, so I have watched roll calls and other sources for the answer to this question. The Sky is reportedly in excellent condition, and there have been photos posted to confirm this. The initial sailing after the storm had just a few things left to be fixed, but I would imagine that all has been completed by now. Can't wait to join this wonderful crew in Copenhagen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

We sail on the Sky this Friday, so I have watched roll calls and other sources for the answer to this question. The Sky is reportedly in excellent condition, and there have been photos posted to confirm this. The initial sailing after the storm had just a few things left to be fixed, but I would imagine that all has been completed by now. Can't wait to join this wonderful crew in Copenhagen.

We were on the April 6th sailing and there was no sign of any damage.. ship is is great condition..crew was fantastic, but many were leaving for there homes as they had been on the ship 7 months. Hope Cd Drew will be on, he was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have had a response from Viking re the two paramedics/firefighter guests, Matt and Jamie Bergasser, who took control so valiantly in the theatre. They were outstanding, attending to the wounded, calming those upset and anxious, collecting badly needed meds (mine included), shouting out instructions and generally being truly exceptional. They were guests like all of us though many assumed they were Viking crew.

 

I wanted to make Torstein Hagen personally aware of their huge efforts, and I now know that he is going to thank them personally. A very well deserved thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...