Jade Italy/Greece and airfare question

alliecat44

Hi there, 

Currently looking at booking a 10-day Italy/Greek Isles cruise on the Jade. Our target dates are late August/early September, as we are both celebrating our 40th birthdays at that time! I had a couple of questions, though....We have never flown to a cruise port before (live in Fort Lauderdale--lucky us!). 

1. Noticed that the August 22-September 2 sailing is about $600 per person cheaper than September 22....is this because lots of stuff is expected to be closed, or just that higher season kicks in?? 

2. The August 22 sailing does NOT have the "free or reduced airfare" option, but the September one (more expensive to begin with) does....does anybody have any experience adding a reduced airfare on a cruise that does not have it listed as one of the perks? If so--what is the best way to do it--call Norwegian, or call a travel agent? Or is it impossible to get deals on airfare unless it is included in the original perks list?? 

3. Any comments about the cruise/ship itself would be welcome--of course!! 

Thanks for listening...we are very excited!! 

The Jade is an excellent ship for this itinerary. They usually have the best port times and a laid back atmosphere onboard along with a ship that’s not too big or small.  Just right for the itinerary. August is typically a more expensive month.  Much of Europe is on holiday in August so a lot more kids on board and potentially some brutal temperatures. I suspect the higher prices you currently see are for the airfare discount.  Sometimes a sail away rate without “free” perks is better option.  I’ve been on the Jade Europe a few times and loved every sailing.  I personally preferred latter September/October due to heat and crowds a little less and priced typically much lower than August. 

43 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

The Jade is an excellent ship for this itinerary. They usually have the best port times and a laid back atmosphere onboard along with a ship that’s not too big or small.  Just right for the itinerary. August is typically a more expensive month.  Much of Europe is on holiday in August so a lot more kids on board and potentially some brutal temperatures. I suspect the higher prices you currently see are for the airfare discount.  Sometimes a sail away rate without “free” perks is better option.  I’ve been on the Jade Europe a few times and loved every sailing.  I personally preferred latter September/October due to heat and crowds a little less and priced typically much lower than August. 

Thank you soooo much for this, littlelulu!!! 

Interestingly, I am finding the prices in August actually cheaper than September...does this mean excursions, restaurants on land may be limited?? Many thanks....!!! 

I think I have convinced the boy to do either this one or the 7-day Pride of America Hawaii cruise....I think we would stay an extra couple of days in either location (Rome or Honolulu).  

23 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

September is the best time to go to Europe . Kids are back at school and most ports won’t be jammed with tourists, the weather is still great, just a more pleasent experience. 

Would earlier in the season be advisable?  Perhaps late May / early June to beat the summer rush and school kids?

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing the August 1 10-day on Jade, spending 2 days pre-cruise in Rome.  We booked our airfare as a package with our hotel on hotels.com, basically got the airfare AND the hotel we wanted for $400 less per person than the airfare alone.  Pays to check it out.