Cruise Critic Community
JerryInIL

Vienna or Budapest Extension ?

Some cruises (dis)embark from Budapest and some Vienna.  Which city is better for a pre/post extension?  We mostly like to walk/bike the city, and enjoy architecture, parks, and outdoor cafes, etc.  Good choice of airbnb rentals or small hotels would be preferable.  TIA

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Some cruises (dis)embark from Budapest and some Vienna.  Which city is better for a pre/post extension?  We mostly like to walk/bike the city, and enjoy architecture, parks, and outdoor cafes, etc.  Good choice of airbnb rentals or small hotels would be preferable.  TIA

"Better" is very subjective - both cities are fantastic choices and offer what you describe above. Since airbnb rentals or small hotels would be your preference (sounds like you may be budget conscious), I would recommend Budapest as it is much less expensive than Vienna.

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, this is a subjective question.... which direction are thinking of cruising (ie, sailing west from Budapest, thus likely stopping in Vienna, or sailing west from Vienna thus missing Budapest altogether??)    I would definitely recommend an overnight in Budapest - our ship spent the night there so we did not do a pre or post cruise there (we did our pre cruise in Prague) but we spent an evening in Budapest on ship.   The night time cruise after dark (which our Viking ship did while docked we took a special night city cruise for a couple hours) was truly spectacular.  The government buildings lit up after dark in Budapest is really beautiful.   

That said, Vienna although more expensive, may be a slightly cleaner city, off the beaten path at least, and maybe more to do for a few days.   

I would definitely not skip Budapest altogether, however.

Vienna has more culture: palaces, museums, churches, concerts, opera. After all, it was the capital of a huge empire and Budapest was a satellite city, capital of the Hungarian part of the Habsburg empire. 

Many more things to do in Vienna. You can easily spend an entire week there and not be lacking for things to do.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Many more things to do in Vienna. You can easily spend an entire week there and not be lacking for things to do.

I would suggest the same could be said of Budapest...

We found Vienna - while there was lots to see for a day or two - more of "just another big city" experience....  Yes, there were some interesting things to see - with lots of "culture" - but, we found our day there (on 2 separate occasions) was enough for us.  And,  I didn't get a sense that this was what the OP is looking for.

My vote would be Budapest - there is lots to see and do there - and much of it is walkable.  We have been to Budapest (at the start or end of a river cruise) 3 times so far - and are excited about going back again next year.  I think it might be cheaper than  Vienna (not sure..  haven't compared prices).  I can make some suggestions for things to see - and places to eat - if you are interested.  There are churches, and museums - and there is an opera house as well (not my cup of tea - but I understand it is beautiful if only for a tour).

Whatever you choose... enjoy!!

Fran