Jump to content

Nieuw Statendam - dining / food tips?


Recommended Posts

We're  going to be on NS April 7-14. Just wondering if past passengers might offer any food or dining tips - you know - "be sure to try this" or "go here". ....menu hidden gems...anything that really caught your taste buds or whatever...🤗 Don't want to miss anything good! 

FYI - just talking about within the "included" dining options here, not interested in the extra-charge or specialty dining.

Anyone care to share?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not interested in any specialty dining?  Well, you are "missing the boat" on Nieuw Statendam.

 

Sel de Mar on NS provided me with the best cuisine, service, and ambiance during my 14 days sailing on her.  The ala carte cost is minimal in comparison to what one receives.

 

No extra cost dining options?  The NY Deli venue is a winner.  Their pizzas, sandwiches, and  Panna Cotta dessert were always good.  The Grand Dutch Cafe is a winner as well.  Don't miss the Embarkation Lunch in the MDR if you embark in time to enjoy it.  Breakfasts in the MDR were all delicious and properly served.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't on the NS, but was on her sister ship the K'dm and would highly recommend the short rib dinner.   I never had this dish before and decided to give them a try, I found this dish was one of the best along with the French onion soup.

 

enjoy your cruise.

Edited by doone
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not interested in any specialty dining?  Well, you are "missing the boat" on Nieuw Statendam.

 

Sel de Mar on NS provided me with the best cuisine, service, and ambiance during my 14 days sailing on her.  The ala carte cost is minimal in comparison to what one receives.

 

No extra cost dining options?  The NY Deli venue is a winner.  Their pizzas, sandwiches, and  Panna Cotta dessert were always good.  The Grand Dutch Cafe is a winner as well.  Don't miss the Embarkation Lunch in the MDR if you embark in time to enjoy it.  Breakfasts in the MDR were all delicious and properly served.

Thank you for the suggestion on Sel de Mar, we will be on the NS in 2021 and will definitely give this venue a try......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, doone said:

Thank you for the suggestion on Sel de Mar, we will be on the NS in 2021 and will definitely give this venue a try......

 

I don't know what your HAL Mariner status is, but I am 5 Star.  With the discount available at that level my dinner of Escargots, Dover Sole with Haricots Verts, and Crepes Suzette, was $19.50.  In comparison to HAL's other specialty restaurant surcharges, I think that was a bargain.  

 

The wine that I drunk was from my Wine Package, so there was no additional alcohol cost involved.

 

There was simply nothing not to enjoy!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I don't know what your HAL Mariner status is, but I am 5 Star.  With the discount available at that level my dinner of Escargots, Dover Sole with Haricots Verts, and Crepes Suzette, was $19.50.  In comparison to HAL's other specialty restaurant surcharges, I think that was a bargain.  

 

The wine that I drunk was from my Wine Package, so there was no additional alcohol cost involved.

 

There was simply nothing not to enjoy!!!!

I am a 3 star Mariner, but certainly not opposed to paying for something that is good.  Thank you again for the suggestion, will definitely check it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For MDR food I think the fish dishes are all very good to excellent. Especially the Dover Sole, and anything marked "fresh". 

The veal chop is also a better than average and reliable meal. 

The beef is ok, sometimes hit or miss though, and I can only enjoy beef every few nights. I"d rather have the lamb -  the lamb chops are a reliable go-to meal for me when they have them. 

I used to order the risotto on the side but now I think they want $10 extra as it is a 2nd Main, and that's not worth it; might be able to get a small portion as a starter size for no extra fee.  

If they still have the Four Mushroom soup, that was outstanding, at least for me, DH wouldn't have liked it.   In fact I really enjoy most of their soups!

The crepes in the buffet are very good choice, pure calories with more calories for toppings! 

I really liked the meatball subs from the NY deli; that and a salad made good lunches for me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it the charge for a second entree was only a test on a few ships the month of March, should be over April 1st.  We did not have an extra charge for a second entree on the K'dam in March.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you mentioned no specialty restaurants, but in our opinion Tamarind is the best place to dine on Nieuw Statendam.  On our cruise on her in December,  we ate there 4 times and loved every bite.   And the service there is great. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with you Jargey3000. We will be on the same cruise! .....and I too would like to find out if there are any secret menus or dishes that cruisers found exceptional.  Also like you, we have found plenty of good food to eat without paying extra. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with you Jargey3000. We will be on the same cruise! .....and I too would like to find out if there are any secret menus or dishes that cruisers found exceptional.  Also like you, we have found plenty of good food to eat without paying extra. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lido Market has a little flourless chocolate cake that appeared the first sea day and the second to last day and it was one of the best little desserts I have ever eaten. The made to order pasta section was really good they even have gluten free if you need it.  The crepe station was also really good but go at an off time it lines up fast!

 

Fruit smoothies in the Crow's Nest are excellent, as are the cucumber mojito!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The prime rib in the Lido was fabulous and cooked to a beautiful medium rare.  They would cook it a little more in the back if you like it well done.  And they seemed to have Yorkshire pudding every night - huge Yorkies!

 

Also, there was a little rum cake in the Lido dessert case that was very good.

 

We didn't eat much in the MDR for the first time ever so can't comment on that.  But I really enjoyed the Lido meals!  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trystran72 said:

The Lido Market has a little flourless chocolate cake that appeared the first sea day and the second to last day and it was one of the best little desserts I have ever eaten. The made to order pasta section was really good they even have gluten free if you need it.  The crepe station was also really good but go at an off time it lines up fast!

 

Fruit smoothies in the Crow's Nest are excellent, as are the cucumber mojito!

 

 

 

you said the magic woid: crepes!

tell me more....where is it, exactly....?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

you said the magic woid: crepes!

tell me more....where is it, exactly....?

 

It may have been at the Distant Lands bar...?  It was the second one in when you come in from the aft end of the ship. Not every station repeats on both sides so it was a bit confusing.  She had a lovely set of options... bananas with caramel, berries, little Nutella packs that you could put on top.  There were probably three or four fillings you could choose. I wasn't even hungry I was just walking by and saw them being made and backtracked immediately. 😁 They were super tasty!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the menus in the App. They are updated later in the day and see what you like. I noticed that much of what is served in the MDR is also in Lido. The MDR wasn’t our thing, so we opted for Lido and often enjoyed the same desserts and main dishes. Obviously, not the same service and not exactly the same. Try different things and if you opt for Lido, go in with a plan. I was just on last week so I can answer any questions. Hopefully soon I will get some video walk throughs, including Lido, up and online. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bgallay said:

Check the menus in the App. They are updated later in the day and see what you like. I noticed that much of what is served in the MDR is also in Lido. The MDR wasn’t our thing, so we opted for Lido and often enjoyed the same desserts and main dishes. Obviously, not the same service and not exactly the same. Try different things and if you opt for Lido, go in with a plan. I was just on last week so I can answer any questions. Hopefully soon I will get some video walk throughs, including Lido, up and online. 

Great advice.  We took prefer the Lido to the MDR.  It isn't as crowded at dinner, it's quieter, and there usually are more choices.  The items most people thing are 'special' are also available in the Lido like the lobster.

 

We also find the dress code to be more to our taste.  

 

To be honest, we haven't had dinner in the MDR on our last three cruises.

We like to take our selections back to our cabin and enjoy them on the balcony.

Edited by RocketMan275
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...