Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

6 or 8 months ago there was discussion that gym hours on the ships were now starting at 7am. Any new word on this? Amsterdam in particular? I have not seen a single mention in many months, and a search was unsuccessful. I am a dedicated 6am workout person...with Lido typically opening at 7am, this affects the start of every day!

 

Any current word on gym hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off 10 day cruise on Zuiderdam and gym opened at 7:00 a.m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DH certainly would not like the gym opening at 7 AM.

 

He likes to work out at 6 and get back to the cabin and clean up and change so that we can go to breakfast at 7:30 -- same time we eat at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

My DH certainly would not like the gym opening at 7 AM.

 

He likes to work out at 6 and get back to the cabin and clean up and change so that we can go to breakfast at 7:30 -- same time we eat at home.

Same here --- gym on Zuiderdam opened at 7:00 am which annoyed DH,  who likes to hit the treadmill at 6:00am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info so far. From the original info several months ago, Zuiderdam was the focus. Wonder if it was just Zuiderdam that went to 7am? Or fleetwide?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious- was there a staff member present at 7:00 onward? And when the gym opened at 6:00, was a staff member there?

 

On my last cruise I rarely saw any staff in the gym unless they were doing a class. And if staff are not needed, why the late opening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just curious- was there a staff member present at 7:00 onward? And when the gym opened at 6:00, was a staff member there?

 

On my last cruise I rarely saw any staff in the gym unless they were doing a class. And if staff are not needed, why the late opening?

Are there cabins beneath the gym.  If so, maybe the early morning pounding of feet on the treadmill has made passengers complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the NS the early part of this month.  I'm pretty sure the gym was open before 7am.  I would usually use the treadmills before the Lido was open, take a shower and then go to breakfast.  There were always a handful of others there too.  Lido opened at 7am for breakfast.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thanks for the info so far. From the original info several months ago, Zuiderdam was the focus. Wonder if it was just Zuiderdam that went to 7am? Or fleetwide?

 

K-dam last week; Gym hours started at 0700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Are there cabins beneath the gym.  If so, maybe the early morning pounding of feet on the treadmill has made passengers complain.

 

The Bridge is below the Gym, where you can always hear some pax who feel the need to drop their weights after a rep. Some captains get very annoyed when this continues and send security upstairs to deal with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

The Bridge is below the Gym, where you can always hear some pax who feel the need to drop their weights after a rep. Some captains get very annoyed when this continues and send security upstairs to deal with it

Can you come to my gym’s free weight section?😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Can you come to my gym’s free weight section?😃

 

Yep, I'm fully aware it happens in land gyms; it's become the norm however, there's no one underneath you steering a ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

The Bridge is below the Gym, where you can always hear some pax who feel the need to drop their weights after a rep. Some captains get very annoyed when this continues and send security upstairs to deal with it

In February, the Nieuw Amsterdam's treadmills had signs advising passengers that during those periods requiring the most concentration on the bridge, typically entering or departing port, a maximum speed of 3.5 mph was permitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Yep, I'm fully aware it happens in land gyms; it's become the norm however, there's no one underneath you steering a ship

It’s annoying when the big bruiser next to you drops them, too. And unsafe. 

Yet staff (at our gym) says nada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our past four long cruises, the gym opened at 6 a.m., sometimes earlier, usually by

the head of the staff.

By 7 a.m. on those sailings, the gym was packed, with no free machines, annoying the

sleepyheads.

Actually, I prefer to walk the deck, but 5:30 a.m. to  7 a.m. is almost always when they hose

down the lower promenade. 

Opening the gym later would not be good, I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...