Cruise Critic Community
boltnut55

After Cruise Surveys

I completed my survey for our cruise, and my husband is doing his right now.  When on board, we hear things like "rate us a 10" "anything less than a 10 is a failure" etc.  My husband is more literal.  He's concerned about their livelihood (although he's probably going to rate them a 10 anyway), but I'm wondering for the rest of you who complete the surveys... how do you feel about the ask to complete a survey, to be asked to rate a 10, etc.?  And what do you normally do (rate as you would, feel guilted into giving a higher rating, etc.)?  Thanks!

i give praise for those that deserve it

dislike when the crew you have never seen all cruise suddenly on the last day cannot do enough for you so you will give a good review

For some companies, if an employee gets anything less than perfect, they will be dinged for it. For Airbnb for example, a four star rating is not considered very good. At least the way our host explained it, in order to maintain his "Superhost" status (which helps him get more bookings and access to privileges), he has to maintain a 4.8 overall rating. In this way, having a few 4 star ratings would be very bad for him because it would make it much more difficult for him to maintain this status. We were more than happy to give him a 5 star rating at the end, not only because we had a good stay but we genuinely wanted to help his business.

I can't say whether it is the same for cruise companies or not, but if you're hearing it often on board, I would assume that a similar policy would be in place - perhaps they would get less of the tip share or be more likely to be replaced if their service continues to be low overall over period of time. 

I try to answer honestly while keeping this pressure in mind - but the guilt can be a lot. I remember my father not being pleased with the housekeeping service we received one cruise, but he left a perfect rating anyways because he didn't want that person to treat us any worse (seeing as we were leaving the survey in the room) and he didn't think it was poor enough to warrant him losing his job. I understand where he's coming from, but at the same time, if we have had a negative experience, I think it would be disingenuous not to mention it. No need to be mean and you don't have to name names if you don't want to, but no improvement will occur if you don't say anything at all. I hate to say it, but perhaps a reprimand or reduction in tips will encourage the crew member to improve for next time. If it's a big deal and you let it slide, they could keep on providing that same level of service for the next guests they encounter, and I wouldn't want for future guests to also have a poor experience.

On the flip side, we usually take extra care to specifically mention crew who have gone above and beyond as we hope that this will be taken into consideration for their next raise or promotion.

The waiters on Royal Caribbean have done that on our last several cruises with them. It started at the beginning on a 22 day transpacific and was at a fever pitch at the end. I really hated that yet felt sorry for him that the crew was under that kind of pressure. The topic of giving a good review NEVER came up from the best waiter we ever had on a recent MSC cruise.

I answer the 1-10 rating questions truthfully but I make sure I complete the commendation sections for individual crew members when justified.  Sometimes I only mention 1 or 2 staff, on other (usually longer) cruises it might be 5 or 6.

Funny, I was once told by a Time-Warner employee not to rate him a 10. It's a phone survey, and he said sometimes a 10 is seen as a one or zero, and of course that is very, very bad for the employee. So he asked for a 9.

Just as a footnote, TW was sold to Spectrum, and now the phone survey is no longer 1-10.

I fill in the ratings as honestly as possible. It is rare that I give a 10 as that signifies perfection that cannot be bettered, which is rarely the case. If the waiters ask us to rate them as 10 so they get their full bonus I ask them to ensure we get service worthy of a 10. If I feel someone has gone over and above what I expect I will mention them by name. Plus I will make an appropriate comment if something is not to my satisfaction. Saying that in over 40 cruises in 20 odd years I have never been contacted by any cruise line to ask about any comment I have made.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Funny, I was once told by a Time-Warner employee not to rate him a 10. It's a phone survey, and he said sometimes a 10 is seen as a one or zero, and of course that is very, very bad for the employee. So he asked for a 9.

Just as a footnote, TW was sold to Spectrum, and now the phone survey is no longer 1-10.

Had an ATT (fiber/internet) installer say this same thing. 

I have no idea how the various cruise ships handle things; however, for many businesses, CSR's need 'topbox' scores.  The difference is that these are often using a 1-4 rating system so a 4 doesn't feel like the same standard of perfection as a 10 would in a 1-10 scale.  Psychologically, it translates to 1= terrible, 2= poor, 3 = average to pretty good and 4= good to great. 

I look at it this way.  First, I do not like the fact that the crew reminds us at every turn about the survey and the need for a "10" rating. It isn't so much that they don't work hard enough to deserve that, but I find it off putting that they feel the need to ask.

But more importantly, I blame the cruise line for the work environment they must create for their line workers to feel it necessary to protect themselves from anything less than a 10 as being a bad review.  Seriously?  It is not possible for anyone to always perform at a "10," and to be held to that standard to the point of having to frequently ask and remind the passengers of this is not only awkward for the passengers, it is equally awkward for the workers.

Does Management hold themselves to that same standard?  Do they ask for the same survey of us regarding how we perceive the company to perform?  No. Perhaps they should look at themselves in the mirror once in a while and ask themselves those same questions. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

22 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I look at it this way.  First, I do not like the fact that the crew reminds us at every turn about the survey and the need for a "10" rating. It isn't so much that they don't work hard enough to deserve that, but I find it off putting that they feel the need to ask.

But more importantly, I blame the cruise line for the work environment they must create for their line workers to feel it necessary to protect themselves from anything less than a 10 as being a bad review.  Seriously?  It is not possible for anyone to always perform at a "10," and to be held to that standard to the point of having to frequently ask and remind the passengers of this is not only awkward for the passengers, it is equally awkward for the workers.

Does Management hold themselves to that same standard?  Do they ask for the same survey of us regarding how we perceive the company to perform?  No. Perhaps they should look at themselves in the mirror once in a while and ask themselves those same questions. Somehow I doubt that they put themselves under the same scrutiny.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

I answer the 1-10 rating questions truthfully but I make sure I complete the commendation sections for individual crew members when justified.  Sometimes I only mention 1 or 2 staff, on other (usually longer) cruises it might be 5 or 6.

We do the same.  

While there have been several crew who I rated as a ten, there have been far more that I rated as nines.

Ten is perfection, and that is the exception on any mass cruise line.

IMO, giving automatic tens to all crew and services negates the whole value of the survey.  There is always room for improvement.  Critical thinking that is constructive is way more helpful, IMO, then blindly assigning tens that were begged for.

Carnival was notorious for pleading with pax to give ten ratings, I'm glad they stopped that begging years ago.  I wonder what line the OP was sailing on?

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I see you are in Monticello. A friend and her husband owned a very popular restaurant in White Lake.

Last couple of surveys I filled out For RC it asked in the survey if a crew member had talked to you about giving a 10  

Which cruise lines have these surveys? That would really bother me if staff were reminding me to rate them a 10 throughout the cruise. I go on vacations to relax!

17 hours ago, capriccio said:

I do very similar, but perhaps more 7-8s.

Normally the room stewards, some dining room attendants, some bar staff or such, perhaps an activity staff member or maitre de.

13 hours ago, evandbob said:

Carnival was notorious for pleading with pax to give ten ratings, I'm glad they stopped that begging years ago.  I wonder what line the OP was sailing on?

Princess

5 hours ago, Armac said:

Last couple of surveys I filled out For RC it asked in the survey if a crew member had talked to you about giving a 10  

I find this interesting... I hear it several times on every cruise that I think "everyone" knows they are telling pax to do this.  Everyone meaning cruise ship management.  Otherwise, they would do it more on the sly, but they do this in the open.

I appreciate the replies 🙂 

I have had it happen where they have asked for a high score but only by a few staff members, mostly staff members just remind us that the survey will be sent to us and filling it out is important for the company. Those staff who have built a rapport with us have never asked for anything but to fill out the survey honestly, perhaps they expect or hope we will be favourable and mention them as well.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I see you are in Monticello. A friend and her husband owned a very popular restaurant in White Lake.

Which one; we may have dined there? There is one we often went to on our wedding anniversary for the reasons that we could dine outside on the deck and the owner/chef was a former high school classmate of mine. Unfortunately soon after selling the restaurant and moving to Florida, he passed away.

We do complete the online surveys knowing that the majority of the time they will never be read.

And we answer honestly -- not everyone will get that perfect score.

37 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We do complete the online surveys knowing that the majority of the time they will never be read.

And we answer honestly -- not everyone will get that perfect score.

Interesting - and IMO incorrect - perception as with every on line survey we complete, with any question scored less than a 9 or 10, there is a triggered follow up discussion box asking for comments describing the reason for the "low" score.  Perhaps those with  the 9 - 10 scores throughout are simply computer tallied towards the summary score with no further scrutiny required, but I have to believe that if answers are being triggered to provide a further response, someone somewhere is being made aware of this for someone's further review. 

It wouldn't make much sense IMO for the line personnel to make as big of a deal about the surveys as they do, nor the cruise lines go to the effort of emailing them requesting a response, if they weren't reviewed.  We are always told by the staff that they are taken seriously - especially with less than perfect scores.

But if you truly believe they are never read, why complete them and submit them - especially if you are taking the time to be honest with your responses?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I answer the surveys honestly. And, when the comment box opens up asking for an explanation for the low score, I give a detailed answer.  I also commend employees who I feel deserve it.

I have owned and operated 3 different businesses. I appreciated it when customers gave me feedback on what their experience was. I could not fix things if I didn't know there is a problem.  Yes, some customers were just plain mean and unreasonable. Most comments, though, had some real merit.

I do not waste my cruise time filling out surveys onboard. Holland America's newer post-cruise email surveys are so involved and take so long to complete that I do not do them either. I take a very dim view of any crew member who would ask for a ten or of any cruise line that would allow staff to ask for tens. 

I loved our main server on Celebrity Equinox this past January and requested her every night. BUT. I was very close to telling her off on the begging for a 10. I didn't because I realize that it is a world that she is living in and not her fault.
I feel like it's a marketing gimmick so they can say that 90+% of customers rate them a 10.

We do the survey and answer the questions honestly.  We've sailed on various lines but mostly with RCCL recently.

What we do differently is to make sure to use the comment section and individually recognize those who gave us outstanding service.

Casually speaking to waiters and assistant waiters, they have told us that a good rating not only result in better pay but also better assignments (more tables thus more tips), or an assignment to one of the specialty restaurants, a promotion, a day-off (in their case "a few hours off"), a free meal at one of the specialty restaurants, and recognition during their regular meetings.  This applies not just to waiters or assistant waiters but also to other crew members such as the cabin attendants.

Note:  This is simply a fun suggestion (if you happen to be doing a B2B sailing) to test if your survey was read.  Here's what we've done: We complete the survey after the first cruise.  We have discovered that those crew members that we had singled out as outstanding during the first sailing....make their way to us and silently thank us (once they find out we are still onboard).  ☺️