Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fstuff1

Edge (May 25): Why is the 11night out of Italy so expensive? $7700?!?!

Recommended Posts

Why is everything so expensive in the Mediterranean this Summer?

 

To some degree I can understand the Edge being expensive as a new ship but the Infinity and Constellation are expensive, have limited dining options also and awaiting overhauling...

 

We have voted with our feet this Summer and not booked a cruise in the Mediterranean. A decent suite on Edge was the cost of a new family car...so we bought the new family car....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everything. 25th August, 9 nights, Venice to Barcelona has dropped in price from £1050 to £799

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

Not everything. 25th August, 9 nights, Venice to Barcelona has dropped in price from £1050 to £799

 

 

They’ve had to start dropping the prices and offering all the promotions to fill those empty cabins. The prices have been off the stratosphere up to now! Too late for many though, as they’ve already booked elsewhere (or bought a new car instead 😆).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, villauk said:

Too late for many though, as they’ve already booked elsewhere (or bought a new car instead 😆).

 

A very hearty and "free" laugh 😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching as the price keeps dropping as they try and sell the Edge cabins in the Med 😂. It seems it is proving more difficult to fill them this side of the pond!

We are on the Greek Islands cruise at the end of July on the Connie and the prices for that are eye watering now 😱. I booked it quite a while ago when the prices dropped for a week or so and then watched as they rocketed up.

 

Edited by downsmead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Why is everything so expensive in the Mediterranean this Summer?

 

To some degree I can understand the Edge being expensive as a new ship but the Infinity and Constellation are expensive, have limited dining options also and awaiting overhauling...

 

We have voted with our feet this Summer and not booked a cruise in the Mediterranean. A decent suite on Edge was the cost of a new family car...so we bought the new family car....

Sillouette out of Southanpton this summer crazy expensive too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fizzy1 said:

Sillouette out of Southanpton this summer crazy expensive too

 

The only real bargain we have seen is the May Iceland cruise where I think RS are now half their original price, too late for us, we had already paid our deposit on the new car....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, villauk said:

 

 

They’ve had to start dropping the prices and offering all the promotions to fill those empty cabins. The prices have been off the stratosphere up to now! Too late for many though, as they’ve already booked elsewhere (or bought a new car instead 😆).

 

This^^. (not the new car though!).

 

I’ve got 2 reasonably-priced Caribbean, one Alaska and one bargain (when I booked it, not now) Iberian cruises in the pipeline, but I just cannot see me booking anything else in the Med unless the prices come down or it’s last minute.  I’ve already got plans for next year and after January’s Caribbean, they do not feature Celebrity!

 

Edited by mrsgoggins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chemmo said:

 

The only real bargain we have seen is the May Iceland cruise where I think RS are now half their original price, too late for us, we had already paid our deposit on the new car....

 

 

Not only the May Iceland cruise, the 3rd June Reflection too.... already upgraded for free from veranda to Concierge 2, and the prices continue to drop 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity, I looked at that cruise but refused to pay over £7,000 for a balcony. We are now doing something different at that time otherwise I may have thought about it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the UK website this morning and noticed X are offering complimentary flights to Europe for the Edge now 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downsmead said:

Pity, I looked at that cruise but refused to pay over £7,000 for a balcony. We are now doing something different at that time otherwise I may have thought about it again.

 

This too ^^^.  I have previously looked at Celebrity's 'new' prices and decided in favour of something else (we take a LOT of not-cheap land-based holidays too). 

 

Unless I change my behaviour (not on the cards) I am likely to be tied into something else by the time the prices start to become realistic.  We have just returned from a wonderful week away - flew into Venice, drove to Padua then on to our favourite hotel by Lake Garda with wonderful weather and low crowds.  Could not have been more enjoyable and at a fraction of the price of a week's Celebrity cruise within Europe.  Okay, it was March and no Celebrity European cruises in March but the message to myself is the same!

 

I know that I could book a Celebrity cruise with an American TA and re-price or cancel as necessary (and have experienced this) but I choose not to.

 

We may not be a total loss to Celebrity, but our bookings with them going forward are likely to be way down on the past few years.

Edited by mrsgoggins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We too have always preferred to book early and it historically has never  let us down booking RS both in the Med and world wide. We have got a Celebrity Cruise booked for the Caribbean this September and another for Asia next October. Both are at a reasonable price and comparable with similar cruise lines. Since booking both seem to be selling well and RS are slowly nudging up in price as numbers of rooms fall. Standard pattern.

 

Normally we would have Med cruises booked in between. However, the way they seem to be pricing the Med is ‘Ask stupid high prices first’ then ‘drop when you can’t fill them’. 

 

As I think all of us on this post indicate, we are not willing to pay stupid prices nor are we willing to wait around...Other cruise lines, land based Mediterranean vacations or a new car are perfectly viable options....

Edited by chemmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downsmead said:

Just looking at the UK website this morning and noticed X are offering complimentary flights to Europe for the Edge now 😂

We are booked through Celebrity with Jet2 flying out of Manchester on the day of our Edge sailing in September, they were £40 return. Had I have booked independently as we usually do would have cost us £650 in total with bags and booked seats. Also we would have flown in the day before and stayed in a hotel by the port overnight, so a massive saving..

As we booked while  on board a previous cruise the price we got and the perks made it worthwhile. Booking it now with the price increases even with free flights it still works out that we got  a better deal.

Edited by bluwes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the weekend they offered the 10 day May 2019 Iceland cruise on Reflection for USD 799 per person in a Concierge Class balcony on guarantee. This is unbelievable! 

 

I trust with Celebrity´s current prizing approach you have to wait until last minute for reasonable rates and good deals.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

On the weekend they offered the 10 day May 2019 Iceland cruise on Reflection for USD 799 per person in a Concierge Class balcony on guarantee. This is unbelievable! 

 

I trust with Celebrity´s current prizing approach you have to wait until last minute for reasonable rates and good deals.   

 

As the other thread states, ‘Are they shooting themselves in the foot’? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked Edge SV for June 2020 with $25pp refundable deposit. So no risk at this point. Booked primarily for the itinerary (Dalmatian Coast) and less so for this ship. The price though was exorbitant. We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary and are willing to spend more than usual but we are still uncomfortable. We have a lot of time till final payment next year. We will continue to monitor pricing with hope that it will fall to a more reasonable level. In the meantime we are researching alternatives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villauk said:

 

As the other thread states, ‘Are they shooting themselves in the foot’? 

 

what do you mean?

having last minute deals to fill cabins is bad???

 

alos, link to that other thread?

 

Edited by fstuff1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, downsmead said:

I've been watching as the price keeps dropping as they try and sell the Edge cabins in the Med 😂. It seems it is proving more difficult to fill them this side of the pond!

We are on the Greek Islands cruise at the end of July on the Connie and the prices for that are eye watering now 😱. I booked it quite a while ago when the prices dropped for a week or so and then watched as they rocketed up.

 

My Constellation August Greek Isle has gone up $4000. since I booked and I thought it was high when I booked it. The Edge is almost 3X what I have paid for the same category. I just talked with the future cruise desk to see if there was anything else for Greece and everything is high and almost fully booked. (Edge did have space) Please come back and tell us about your July cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition, the grats on beverages is now being increased to 20%. 

I have also just seen about a new pricing structure that X is introducing, I wonder how that will translate to the UK market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

 

what do you mean?

having last minute deals to fill cabins is bad???

 

alos, link to that other thread?

 

 

 

They are playing the game of high prices and now they can’t fill the ship so are trying any promos they can to encourage bookings. Last minute deals are great if you are flexible; not so good if you’d already booked the ship only to discover how low these prices are falling (remember, no flexibility with bookings on this side of the pond - non refundable deposits are standard and no price drops allowed either). And as this thread points out, many have looked elsewhere after seeing the initial eye watering prices for the Med.

 

If they go as low as others were reporting on another thread ($599), think what X could have made by simply being realistic in the first place. It’s the only new ship where I’ve heard so many pax having received offers of free cruises from their casino play so early in the game, and not all big spenders either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X are now offering 15 Captains Club bonus points on the June 15th Edge sailing, in addition to the free flights and 'free' drinks, grats and OBC. 

Stupid prices still exist - May 10 night Greek Islands is £3,299 pp for Aqua 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all fine for those who can sail last minute, but we like to plan a year or two out.  Though if I'm looking for a cheap 5-7 nighter last minute, X marks the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...