Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bigfoot88

Shrimp Cocktail Upcharge

Recommended Posts

Was on the Gem in December and Bliss and don’t recall the $4.00 upcharge. Also, the shrimp has an olives oil marinate, I can’t recall it before but was told it was there. I asked on the second visit and they served w/o the oil.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on the Epic now and I shocked that there is an up charge. Off my list. I would get it all time at Cagney's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Breakaway. No upcharge in The Haven restaurant, but a $4.99 upcharge everywhere else. Totally not worth it; it’s just 3 shrimp and nothing special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slugg said:

Just off the Breakaway. No upcharge in The Haven restaurant, but a $4.99 upcharge everywhere else. Totally not worth it; it’s just 3 shrimp and nothing special. 

We just got off the pearl,  cagneys shrimp trio would have cost 9 bucks if  i were not a  platinum member.  The next to last night at the buffet there were jumbo shrimp, yep the same ones at cagneys, I went to town and had 20 of them. (60 bucks in cagney dollars) oh they were good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is one of the decisions that baffles me.  What led them to pick that particular appetizer?  It is only a few shrimp so we aren't talking big bucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Next thing is they will charge for silverware!  I have a friend on the Getaway now....let me know if you have any questions and I will pass them on to her.


Deck Chair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, $5.99 with the gratuity added on the Getaway right now. Three shrimp with an herb and oil ick factor, slightly soft and not worth the up charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cruise all of the Mass Market Cruise Lines . NCL is now the unconditional Leader in Nickle Diming .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 2:21 PM, bigfoot88 said:

Was on the Gem in December and Bliss and don’t recall the $4.00 upcharge. Also, the shrimp has an olives oil marinate, I can’t recall it before but was told it was there. I asked on the second visit and they served w/o the oil.

 

 

I’ve noticed the marinate for 9 years. I didn’t know what it was, but always thought the shrimp would taste better without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, bigfoot88 said:

Was on the Gem in December and Bliss and don’t recall the $4.00 upcharge. Also, the shrimp has an olives oil marinate, I can’t recall it before but was told it was there. I asked on the second visit and they served w/o the oil.

 

 

Shrimp cocktail on the Jade Cagneys had olive oil marinade.  We loved it but some might not.  No upcharge last March.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just of the Jade $4.99 up charge for dinning package & $8 regular. 

D5E557E2-414A-49AE-AF0A-11A715532F2D.jpeg

Edited by Cruslvr81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Newleno said:

We just got off the pearl,  cagneys shrimp trio would have cost 9 bucks if  i were not a  platinum member....

 

What is the shrimp benefit on platinum?   I have not heard that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This confuses me.  The other appetizers on the list probably take more preparation time than that shrimp cocktail, yet no up-charge.    

What kind of a weird marketing decision was this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trex-de said:

 

What is the shrimp benefit on platinum?   I have not heard that one?

as a platinum member you get one  free entree, one appetizer, one bottle of wine, one side,. and one dessert  at cagneys, the appetizer i choose is the shrimp trio (i thought it was $9 if you actually had to pay but I guess it is $8) so that is what i meant by the shrimp benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Newleno said:

as a platinum member you get one  free entree, one appetizer, one bottle of wine, one side,. and one dessert  at cagneys, the appetizer i choose is the shrimp trio (i thought it was $9 if you actually had to pay but I guess it is $8) so that is what i meant by the shrimp benefit.

 

Great. Shrimp is back on my menu!  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

This confuses me.  The other appetizers on the list probably take more preparation time than that shrimp cocktail, yet no up-charge.    

What kind of a weird marketing decision was this?

It is probably ordered the most.  If people want the price to go away, don't order it as long as it has an upcharge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Escape recently and the Shrimp Cocktail was rolling out of the kitchen at any price. Most people don’t care about the upcharge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could probably avoid the shrimp upcharge if they turned the 1 appetizer, soup or salad suggestion for dining packages into a firm policy.  The restaurant should be able to budget for 3 shrimp per person.  It's when people request multiple orders or have a shrimp course in addition to soup, salad or another appetizer that it throws the food budget off.  However, I'd gladly pass on the shrimp to keep freedom on the rest of the menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

It is probably ordered the most.  If people want the price to go away, don't order it as long as it has an upcharge.

that is my thought as well. Like a land restaurant, shrimp cocktails can be pricey, one reason the cost of really good shrimp and next the popularity. People will pay the price. If we stop the price may go down. If we continue we have ourselves to blame. I will say this: no way, as much as I love shrimp will I pay an up charge for it , but that is just me. Not having a shrimp cocktail on a cruise isn't going to make the cruise any less satisfying.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about this shrimp upcharge....

For sure I won't be ordering any but since we are sailing NCL for the first time in 11 years, can anyone tell me if escargot are available? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Interesting about this shrimp upcharge....

For sure I won't be ordering any but since we are sailing NCL for the first time in 11 years, can anyone tell me if escargot are available? 

 

I know they are available at Le Bistro.  I don't recall seeing them on the MDR menu on NCL.

 

It's always baffled me why other cruise lines offer them as a daily choice, as it seems like an acquired taste with limited appeal.  If people ordered them like shrimp, they'd probably be gone or an upcharge too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...