Cruise Critic Community
jargey3000

any self-serve laundry on Nieuw Statendam?

Posted (edited)

can anyone tell me if there is any self-serve laundry facilities (washers, dryers) on the Statendam? also, are irons readily available? thanks.

Edited by jargey3000

Laundromats are a thing of the past - it's been years/decades since HAL put out a ship with one of those onboard.  Thankfully, I reached 4-star status so it doesn't matter to me any more, but when I was only 3 star I honestly didn't miss it.  Life is too short to spend any part of it in a laundry room while on a cruise!

Sue/WDW1972

An alternative would be bring a can of wrinkle-releasing spray.  Or, pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle.  If you do send it out to HAL for ironing, they do a great job, and turn it around very quickly.  I generally will take it from my suitcase, put it in the laundry bag & send it out - often it's back before dinner, but to be safe don't send out what you're wearing that night!

Sue/WDW1972

Depending on the length of the cruise I just fill a bag (stuff) it about 6 days in.  It comes back nice and neat.  People in the past scared me that they use hot water and everything shrinks.  I have never experienced that.  

I also don't worry about ironing everything - we are all on vacation and clothes get wrinkled. . . I figure everyone else has the same problem.  

My friend and I used the laundry service on our trip on NS last week and all of the clothes came back the same day without being express service and they were done beautifully - and the opposite of shrinking, the pants came back slightly bigger! win/win 😉

Posted (edited)

no irons!?  sheesh!

(we've had them on every other line....)

Edited by jargey3000

there is 1 bucket with an extra long rope on it at the very back of the ship. best I can do.

only kidding. there are laundry specials available on most cruises. I have found them to be a pretty good deal.

Posted (edited)

that was my next question....do they charge for the ironing service? yes, i guess?

Edited by jargey3000

Yes, unless you're sailing in a Neptune Suite, Pinnacle Suite, or are a 4-star or 5-star Mariner.  Those people all get it for free.  Everyone else pays.

Sue/WDW1972

1 hour ago, jargey3000 said:

no irons!?  sheesh!

(we've had them on every other line....)

No irons on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Not sure about “every other line”.

Not necessarily in room,  but I'm pretty sure we've gotten them on request  , or in laundry room ...on these & also Carnival & Princess...dont ever remember having to pay...or go without...

Could be wrong :)

1 minute ago, smallishwanderer said:

How much does the laundry cost? Is it flat fee for a bag? or per item?

You can purchase a length of cruise package (cost varies by length of cruise), or a by-the-bag cost (don't recall right offhand what that costs).