Coming from a Southerner...what type of bottoms to wear to Alaska in May?

PittsburghNative

I know to dress in layers for tops, but I’m wondering what to bring for bottoms. I have no idea what the temps will be like early-mid May. I’m coming from Miami, so the temps will affect me more so than let’s say someone coming from the North. Even though I’m from Pittsburgh, I’ve been in the South for too long that my body is used to heat. I also hear it’s much cooler on the water and it would be awful to be miserable viewing the glaciers.

I'm already in the process of buying some hats, long sleeves, light jackets, etc. I’m trying to find some waterproof pants that I can put over my jeans when I do the dogsledding on a glacier tour. Any suggestions on which ones to buy?

I was trying to buy bottoms today and I was thinking to myself “should I buy jeans?” and “should I buy long leggings?” I left the store empty handed. I don’t want to overpack but I don’t want to be freezing. Any suggestions for bottoms when my cruise is from 5/9 - 5/19?

My packing list for Alaska in May includes UnderArmour 1.0 lightweight long underwear for fast whale watching boats and medium weight cargo pants with pockets for small camera, phone charger, small notebook, snacks, etc. for excursions.  I bring Toggs rain pants and a rain poncho in my excursion backpack for heavy rain.  FWIW backpacks are not permitted on helicopter flights to dogsledding in the snow.

I wear a mid-thigh columbia jacket with a cardigan sweater that I can easily remove (I leave the liner for the jacket at home as it is too bulky to fit in my excursion backpack/camera bag).

If you discover that you forgot any clothing items, the top floor of the Tongass Trading Company right at the pier in Ketchkan is where the locals shop for warm work (fishing) clothing.

Of great importrance is waterproofed hiking/tennis shoes to keep your feet dry as Southeast Alaska is in a temperate rainforest where rain is measured in feet-per-year.

Enjoy your cruise planning.  Just to get you in a dogsledding mood:

image.png.426e8ca9fe48241e4d677bfb0d125106.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

My packing list for Alaska in May includes UnderArmour 1.0 lightweight long underwear for fast whale watching boats and medium weight cargo pants with pockets for small camera, phone charger, small notebook, snacks, etc. for excursions.  I bring Toggs rain pants and a rain poncho in my excursion backpack for heavy rain.  FWIW backpacks are not permitted on helicopter flights to dogsledding in the snow.

I wear a mid-thigh columbia jacket with a cardigan sweater that I can easily remove (I leave the liner for the jacket at home as it is too bulky to fit in my excursion backpack/camera bag).

If you discover that you forgot any clothing items, the top floor of the Tongass Trading Company right at the pier in Ketchkan is where the locals shop for warm work (fishing) clothing.

Of great importrance is waterproofed hiking/tennis shoes to keep your feet dry as Southeast Alaska is in a temperate rainforest where rain is measured in feet-per-year.

Enjoy your cruise planning.  Just to get you in a dogsledding mood:

image.png.426e8ca9fe48241e4d677bfb0d125106.png

Thank you for everyone’s suggestions so far! I didn’t even think to bring cargo pants, but it makes sense, especially for zip lining. I’m in the midst of trying to find waterproof hiking shoes. I’m not wanting to spend over $100 since all we wear in South Florida are flip flops, but I may just have to bite the bullet because I will hate to be walking in wet shoes all day.

Crew News, thanks for sharing your photo! I’m super excited for the excursion. Where did you do your dogsledding tour? Mine will be in Skagway. Can you give me an idea of what the temps were like when you went? I’m bringing a Columbia jacket for that tour.

I don't travel with jeans, anywhere. Denim isn't flexible enough for my personal dress code and when it gets wet (rain, or if I'm doing laundry) it takes far too long to dry. I'm a big fan of a black pant. Have oodles 😉 My last AK cruise (Sept 2018) I brought 2 pr for "ports" (including taking zodiacs up to glaciers and just regular roaming around) - Costco "travel" pant and an Eddie Bauer trail pant. Both wicking/quick dry. 

I have a pair of goretex waterproof overpants I got from the LLBEan outlet ages ago. I brought them to Alaska in 2007. Only time I wore them was when I was doing laundry and everything else was unavailable 😉 So I haven't used them for travel since - It's unlikely I'll be spending 8 hrs out in the rain, so I don't need the full goretex pant - the eddie bauer trail pant was perfect for my needs and that sort of thing is more multi-use for travel for me.

I also travel with silk long underwear bottoms if there's a possibility it could be cold enough to require their use (then I use as loungewear in the cabin too). They pack up super teeny. Fleece lined tights also work. 

Hey Miami girl, we are having the same dilemma. Joy tends to always overpack and we are hearing nothing but layers, layers, & layers in Alaska. I'm in the jean camp but we will be taking some warmer, easier to dry merino wool and fleece types. You most likely saw this link that was posted elsewhere - https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/us/alaska-weather-extreme-temperatures-above-average-wxc/index.html

I've looked at recent temp readings along the southeast Alaska coast and except for the town mentioned (Klowock), the temps have been only slightly above norms. I'm fairly hardy and can run around in shorts and Crocs in 45deg weather. Joy on the other hand, is very cold sensitive. We're both from the south but have very different thermostats. I would try to bring a mix and maybe plan on washing stuff in the tub with Woolite if you pack small.

My DH and I went only twice to Alaska, and we, too are from the South (Atlanta). We just brought jeans and I had long underwear which I really needed in Glacier Bay. Wore them one other time, but really did not need them. I know we were really lucky, though, as we had only one day of rain in those two trips! They were both in May, but right at the end of May. It seems like most tourists wore jeans, but I really did not pay close attention. And the ship had laundries to use if your jeans do get wet.

Edited by Great Sky Girl

Since my trousers of choice are khaki slacks with teflon 'non-stain' coating water just beads off them in light rain. Long undies therefore works really well for me when I know I'll be facing the cold - they roll up extremely small so take up virtually no space, and personally I hate the crinkly sounds of moving around in waterproof overpants! If I was on a long hike I'd take the latter, and they do make sense for your snow-based excursion in case you end up sitting down in snow (voluntarily or otherwise...). If your leggings are snug enough that they fit under your jeans, you can wear both of those and not worry about buying long undies, and even a cheap pair of thick tights works pretty well under other breeks.

There's no need for fancy brands of anything - get the cheapest pair of cotton long undies you can find and the cheapest pair of waterproof pants too. Breathability isn't a factor on a short excursion or standing on deck, it's only when you're stuck out in the weather and don't have a nice warm indoor space to retreat to for drying your clothes that the Goretex etc. really come into their own (plus, if it's 100% humidity outside the breathability drops to zero anyway...).

Footwear - if you already have a pair of comfortable tennis shoes or the like you can waterproof those pretty well using just a candle and hair-dryer (Google for instructional videos); a waterproof spray is even easier to use. If you're hiking and want ankle support then great, get a pair of boots if you don't have them already, but it's pointless dropping big bucks on a good pair of boots that will just gather dust after a few days in Alaska. Most important is a decently-grippy sole and that they are COMFY - don't buy new footwear unless you have time to break them in!

5 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

Thank you for everyone’s suggestions so far! I didn’t even think to bring cargo pants, but it makes sense, especially for zip lining. I’m in the midst of trying to find waterproof hiking shoes. I’m not wanting to spend over $100 since all we wear in South Florida are flip flops, but I may just have to bite the bullet because I will hate to be walking in wet shoes all day.

Crew News, thanks for sharing your photo! I’m super excited for the excursion. Where did you do your dogsledding tour? Mine will be in Skagway. Can you give me an idea of what the temps were like when you went? I’m bringing a Columbia jacket for that tour.

Tennis shoes are fine in Alaska since you will not be wandering off improved trails.  You buy a waterproofing spray and treat them befor you leave home.  You will be provided over-boots for dogsledding as well as a safety vest.

My dog sledding was in Skagway.  Temp was in the 60's when I departed via helicopter but in the mid 30's on the mountain.  You will be uncomfortable for a few minutes before leaving the helipad with your warm clothes but fine on the mountain.  You can leave a backpack at the helipad terminal to fill with your extra layers you wore on the mountain but won't need in Skagway.  FWIW seats on the helicopter are assigned by weight to get a good balance and you will feel like a sardine for a few minutes.  Definitely bring a GoPro to mount on the sled if you want a video that does not require you to hold a heavier camera.

Here is a link to my dog sledding in Skagway:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding

Enjoy your cruise planning.

There are frogg toggs 2pc rain suit available at my local grocery store in the camping department. They are only $20-$40 depends on the quality you want. They are so compact and nicely packed in its own pouch.

Edited by Tourist1292

54 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

There are frogg toggs 2pc rain suit available at my local grocery store in the camping department. They are only $20-$40 depends on the quality you want. They are so compact and nicely packed in its own pouch.

The $40 at is what I purchased for whale-watching excursions when it is raining.  If I remember, the difference is zippered access to your clothing under the rain suit.  I keep a frogg toggs poncho in my camera sling bag at all times for unpredicted showers.  If your camera is not water-resistant, a rain covering might be a good thing, too.

If you are going to be taking photos, photography or cell-phone access gloves would be a good purchase.

1 hour ago, PittsburghNative said:

I’m loving the tips and advice! Thanks all for your suggestions.

Upon my return from my first of many cruises to Alaska, I realized the many things that there were so many things that I missed because I was not adequately informed of all that was available.  If I can be of help to others , I am glad to do so.

One thing I learned is that the port time on your cruise documents is actually the time that passengers are allowed to leave the ship.  If you want to get pictures of the port area in the perfect light of the morning, you need to be on your balcony or deck at least one hour before the port time.

You need wide-angel binoculars for Alaska (8X25) that are fog-proof and good in low light. Any higher zoom will be very difficult to use on moving watercraft/vehicles.   I have Centron Trailmaster brand.

Camera batteries drain more rapidly in cool weather.  Bring spare batteries and keep them in a pocket next to your body warmth until needed.

With the very early sunrise, you can use the hooks on a pants hanger from your closet to clamp the curtains closed before retiring each evening.

Bald eagles look like vanilla ice cream cones up in the trees/light poles as you scan the tree line with your binoculars.

Unless you are visiting Alaska in the winter, all King Crab will be frozen and probably from the local Cosco.  Dungeness crab should be fresh as the season runs from May to December.

You cannot eat all of the food that is available but many will try the first few days.  You can eat half of each portion of everything available.

Bring a thermos that you can fill with hot coffee/tea/chocolate before retiring for the night so that you will have hot coffee as soon as your feet hit the floor in the AM.

All ships have limited electrical outlets.  Bring a European adapter and multiport US apapter to plug into it so that you can charge all of your 110-240V devices (phones, tablets, laptop) and save the US 110 outlets for those devices that are not dual voltage.

Bring small first aid kit (bandaids, aspirin, tweezers, seasick meds, ace bandage) as these will cost a fortune at the ship medical center.  You won't need bug spray in May.

The above are a downpayment on tips.  Feel free to ask lots of questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, PittsburghNative said:

I’m in the midst of trying to find waterproof hiking shoes. I’m not wanting to spend over $100 since all we wear in South Florida are flip flops, but I may just have to bite the bullet because I will hate to be walking in wet shoes all day.

I'm a southern girl too and didn't want to invest in waterproof/warm boots I'll never wear again. I found a good selection on Amazon...some obviously better than others but all reasonably priced IMHO. Make sure to check all the details! I ended up with great looking ankle boots - waterproof, good tread on the bottom, laces for adjustments, "fur" insides and a removable fur insert - for $30 and with the % off (after season sale?) they were $20 with free shipping!  Hope you find something!

Edited by ZuzusPetals

The Tongass Trading Company is located on the pier in Ketchikan and is probably the most complete tourist souvenier shop in all of Alaska BUT if you go upstairs you will find where the locals shop for outfitting gear for fishing, camping, hunting, or just keeping warm.

FWIW there is good cell service from the major carriers in the larger Alaskan ports.  Of course when a town of 12,000 people has a cruise ship dock with 2500 passengers all wanting to connect as soon as possible, the service will be spotty for the first hour.  If your ship docks next to the tall rocks in Skagway, you will have to walk away from the ship to get decent cell phone access.

Ship paid internet access will be great while the ship is in port and most of the passengers are ashore.  For free internat access in any port, ask/follow a crew member as they know all of the free spots ashore.

Here is a link that may help to find free wifi:  http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/state/Alaska

Edited by Crew News

I'll probably get flamed for this. Oh well.  I've been on two Alaska cruises in May and on a few multi-week Alaskan road trips.  I can easily get along with my normal clothes (I live in Oklahoma) without buying and bringing extra items that I wouldn't normally use.  I do have a good coat and/or jacket and a pair of nice gloves -that's about the only out of the ordinary items I will take.  In May there could be the odd colder day but my two May cruises have been pretty nice weather where I wore cargo shorts, t-shirt and a light jacket most of the time.  I will have a warmer coat if the day appears to be cooler and jeans.  I've taken water proof pants and jacket that I've never opened - I'll risk it without carrying those again.  My last road trip was the first couple weeks of February this year.  Believe it or not, we saw quite a few people wearing shorts - they were locals out for dinner or a movie.  One day it was about 15 degrees, had been snowing heavily but has sort of cleared off - we saw some kids playing hockey in the street (not on skates) in t-shirts and shorts without coats. Ha Ha  Earlier that morning while at breakfast (it was REALLY snowing then and about 10 degrees) there was a fellow waiting to be seated with a coat and shorts.  There's no way I'd go on a May cruise and not take at least a couple pair of shorts.  You should be able to judge the day before getting off the ship and dress accordingly.  And if you don't load your bag down with a bunch of stuff you may or may not need and you decide that you actually DO need something there are plenty of souvenir shops where you can buy an inexpensive coat - I've bought a couple pretty nice looking Alaska coats as gifts for less than $30.  My estimate is that a high percentage of cruisers will never be in the situation where they truly need a lot of what everyone thinks they need to take to Alaska - especially in May.

I took the street shot just outside the restaurant where I then saw the fellow in the shorts.  He didn't appear to be a nut. 🤪

Flame away!  (I'm fireproof... Ha Ha)

IMG_7408.JPG

Snow City.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear

5 minutes ago, SuperCrewBear said:

I'll probably get flamed for this. Oh well.  I've been on two Alaska cruises in May and on a few multi-week Alaskan road trips.  I can easily get along with my normal clothes (I live in Oklahoma) without buying and bringing extra items that I wouldn't normally use.  I do have a good coat and/or jacket and a pair of nice gloves -that's about the only out of the ordinary items I will take.  In May there could be the odd colder day but my two May cruises have been pretty nice weather where I wore cargo shorts, t-shirt and a light jacket most of the time.  I will have a warmer coat if the day appears to be cooler and jeans.  I've taken water proof pants and jacket that I've never opened - I'll risk it without carrying those again.  My last road trip was the first couple weeks of February this year.  Believe it or not, we saw quite a few people wearing shorts - they were locals out for dinner or a movie.  One day it was about 15 degrees, had been snowing heavily but has sort of cleared off - we saw some kids playing hockey in the street (not on skates) in t-shirts and shorts without coats. Ha Ha  Earlier that morning while at breakfast (it was REALLY snowing then and about 10 degrees) there was a fellow waiting to be seated with a coat and shorts.  There's no way I'd go on a May cruise and not take at least a couple pair of shorts.  You should be able to judge the day before getting off the ship and dress accordingly.  And if you don't load your bag down with a bunch of stuff you may or may not need and you decide that you actually DO need something there are plenty of souvenir shops where you can buy an inexpensive coat - I've bought a couple pretty nice looking Alaska coats as gifts for less than $30.  My estimate is that a high percentage of cruisers will never be in the situation where they truly need a lot of what everyone thinks they need to take to Alaska - especially in May.

I took the street shot just outside the restaurant where I then saw the fellow in the shorts.  He didn't appear to be a nut. 🤪

Flame away!  (I'm fireproof... Ha Ha)

IMG_7408.JPG

Snow City.jpg

No judging here! We have thousands of winter savvy tourists that flock here everyday and where us Floridians would wear a coat and boots in 60 degree weather, they would be wearing shorts and bathing suits and playing in the ocean.

When I was living in Pitt, I made fun of southerners because they thought 50-something degree weather was freezing. After living in the south for 10+ years, I am now one of those people who will bundle up in 60 degree weather 😂 

11 hours ago, ZuzusPetals said:

I'm a southern girl too and didn't want to invest in waterproof/warm boots I'll never wear again. I found a good selection on Amazon...some obviously better than others but all reasonably priced IMHO. Make sure to check all the details! I ended up with great looking ankle boots - waterproof, good tread on the bottom, laces for adjustments, "fur" insides and a removable fur insert - for $30 and with the % off (after season sale?) they were $20 with free shipping!  Hope you find something!

Can please share which boot you got? 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, Crew News said:

.  Definitely bring a GoPro to mount on the sled if you want a video that does not require you to hold a heavier camera.

Here is a link to my dog sledding in Skagway:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding

Crew News, is there some type of mount already on the dogsled that you could mount your GoPro on, or what kind would you suggest?

42 minutes ago, scsagh said:

Crew News, is there some type of mount already on the dogsled that you could mount your GoPro on, or what kind would you suggest?

Since I just bought my GoPro last December, I was not looking for possible mounts on the sled.  A wide clamp or a gorillapod that could wrap around the sled railing would be ideal.  Of course a head harness would work, too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruisegirl70 said:

Can please share which boot you got? 

There was a 30% off "coupon" at check-out when I bought them a month ago but I don't see it now. It might depend on the size and color you select. I got the yellow and my sister got the red (more of a burgundy) and we love them. Both of us feel they are true to size. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KMGF2V/ref=twister_B07FZXWSTD?th=1&psc=1

If you don't like these you can do a search on Amazon for "women's waterproof boots" and get a lot of other options...many reasonably priced. Just read the fine print to make sure they're waterproof. Happy shopping!

Edited by ZuzusPetals