sushi making class

3 hours ago, jp2746 said:

So, would it look weird if I signed by 13 year old up but went with him and didn't participate?  I am not really interested but I know he would enjoy it.  I know he wouldn't go into the class alone and I'm not really into spending $60 for both of us.

At least on Allure, there were parents who watched their teenage children, they were older than 13 so I don't know if there is an age limit.

2 hours ago, mek said:

At least on Allure, there were parents who watched their teenage children, they were older than 13 so I don't know if there is an age limit.

Thanks! I think I will sign him up.  He's a mature 13-year-old and cooks at home often so I think he will be okay.  

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if it's included in any of the dining packages the unlimited dining package?  I ask because this was the small print in the "additional terms" and I'm not quite sure what it means.  No Show policy will apply. Demonstration can be included in the 3-4 or 5 dining Package.   

On 4/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, island lady said:

I have never seen where you can book it in advance of the cruise, but do look for it in the cruise planner during the week.  All the ships I have been on offer it on sea days, and usually an hour or so before Izumi opens for lunch.  

Once on board I have gone to the podium at Izumi and asked if there was a sushi class scheduled...they will have that information and can sign you up that way.  I think I remember Izumi being on deck 4 on Oasis.  Though IMHO this last sushi class on Oasis was not the same, and we won't be back to it.  Not run very well as in the past, or as on other ships.  

We'll be on Liberty Aug 18, 2019 and I just booked this today. So excited as we love sushi!

52 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Does it include any raw tuna or other fish or is it just cooked shellfish?

When I took the class on HOTS we made:

• Spicy Tuna Roll (raw tuna)
  • Nigiri with shrimp (cooked)
  • California Roll (imitation crab, cooked)
  • Crispy Shrimp Roll (fried shrimp)

So there was only one item with raw tuna. It was a lot of fun and a lot of food to eat at the end of class!

Does it include any raw tuna or other fish or is it just cooked shellfish?
I believe the spicy tuna is either raw or "ceviche" -- but it was very good!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

I believe the spicy tuna is either raw or "ceviche" -- but it was very good!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I have made sushi many times, but I might just take the class for the fun of it especially if there is some raw tuna included.

13 hours ago, ScubaCat3 said:

When I took the class on HOTS we made:

• Spicy Tuna Roll (raw tuna)
  • Nigiri with shrimp (cooked)
  • California Roll (imitation crab, cooked)
  • Crispy Shrimp Roll (fried shrimp)

So there was only one item with raw tuna. It was a lot of fun and a lot of food to eat at the end of class!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like fun.

I had been on the fence about booking this for my husband and brother and y'all have convinced me. I'm very particular about what sushi I'll eat (mostly nigiri only) but they've successfully roped me in to the class so they can split my sushi plate when it's time to eat 😂

1 hour ago, booplesnoople said:

I had been on the fence about booking this for my husband and brother and y'all have convinced me. I'm very particular about what sushi I'll eat (mostly nigiri only) but they've successfully roped me in to the class so they can split my sushi plate when it's time to eat 😂

One of the issues with the class is that each person makes a fair amount of sushi items (more than I could eat in one sitting), and then it's required to eat it or leave it in the restaurant to be discarded. They wouldn't let us pack it up "to go." We talked to some others in our class who had family members join them after the class in the restaurant to help eat. They had the right idea!

My husband isn't a big sushi fan and only eats cooked items, but had a great time making the sushi and really enjoyed the class. We helped him out with eating the raw items. 😋

Edited by CntPAcruiser

45 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

One of the issues with the class is that each person makes a fair amount of sushi items (more than I could eat in one sitting), and then it's required to eat it or leave it in the restaurant to be discarded. They wouldn't let us pack it up "to go." We talked to some others in our class who had family members join them after the class in the restaurant to help eat. They had the right idea!

My husband isn't a big sushi fan and only eats cooked items, but had a great time making the sushi and really enjoyed the class. We helped him out with eating the raw items. 😋

Trust me, between the two of them there won't be a speck of rice left! (I could be persuaded to help with the California rolls though; what I don't like about rolls is the nori. Smells like a dirty fish tank, that's why I stick to nigiri 🤣

4 hours ago, okeytaco said:

How long is the class?  How would family members know what time to come if they just wanted to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

We spent about an hour making the sushi, then were able to eat. My family members just popped in periodically. It was a lot of fun. 

2C80E3F0-8ED2-478C-8D82-3397FF0FB259.jpeg

5 hours ago, MrBacardi5 said:

I don’t know if it is fleet wide but for my next 2 cruises they raised the price from $30 to $35 in the last couple of days

I saw that on our upcoming cruise too...I should have booked at $30. :)

I booked it for our sailing on Grandeur next summer for $28.  I was surprised to see that price b/c I've only seen it at $30 (which is what I paid on Anthem a couple months ago).  Now it's up to $30 on our Grandeur sailing and I seriously doubt it'll go back down to $28 again w/ people now seeing $35 prices.

It seems like people have different experiences re: whether they can take uneaten sushi back to their cabins, so I'll share mine on Anthem:  We were told that if we "promised" to consume it w/in 2-3 hours, they'd let us take our uneaten sushi w/ us.  They provided plastic wrap for those who needed it.  I love my sushi so all I had at the end was an empty plate 😁

ETA:  Just checked my Grandeur cruise planner and it is up to $35 now ...

Edited by mdepsmom

I must have lucked out, mine was $20 on my January 2019 Anthem cruise.  I just made sure to eat a light breakfast, & DD joined me at the end to help me eat it for an early lunch

Edited by MaryCS62