Cruise Critic Community
mikkelhansen

New pricing strategy fleetwide starting April 4, 2019

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Haven't tried a mock booking but assuming that you could book a Senior or State Discount refundable with no perks. 

Even better.

They've just raised the rate on our Suez canal cruise, I'm guessing in anticipation of the new offer.  I have to confess that I am probably going to switch to the new 2 perk fare, as 15 days without a drink package does not sound fun :)

46 minutes ago, hcat said:

Guess we'll meet you onboard.  !  

B2b is appealing but so far just the one for us with St Kitts..have not been there in awhile...

Yay! 😁

1 hour ago, Aralim said:

Forget about later this week. The Aug 2, 2020 transatlantic on Summit to Iceland and Greenland had a $500 per person bump in the price of inside cabins over this past weekend - insides had been starting at $1,950 per person since I booked in mid-Jan, and when I checking pricing with the current promo that started yesterday, the price shot up to just under $2,450.

I think they’re prepping the fares now so that when they make the announcement they can leave them as-is for the 2 included perks rate, and they’ll be back to $1,950 for the bare-bones rate.

We are booked on the Aug. 16, 2020 Summit cruise to Iceland & Greenland.  Are you saying the price for an inside is now $2,450.pp?  Is that with perks?  We have a 2A Balcony for $2669.pp (with no perks) and I thought that was a lot.  Wonder what that is now or will be?  

Just checked.  For my sailing date .... The insides are now $2,581.pp.  There are no 2A Balconies left, but the 2B Balcony is now $4,249.pp.  That's $1580. more pp for my Balcony cabin.    CRAZY!!!

The fares are slightly lower on the Aug. 2nd sailing, only by $100.00.  (Insides are $2,481.pp, and the 2B Balcony is $4,149.pp.) 

Edited by srfoxymom

1 minute ago, srfoxymom said:

We are booked on the Aug. 16, 2020 Summit cruise to Iceland & Greenland.  Are you saying the price for an inside is now $2,450.pp?  Is that with perks?  We have a 2A Balcony for $2669.pp (with no perks) and I thought that was a lot.  Wonder what that is now or will be?  

The first leg going from NJ to Dublin is running much more expensive than the return leg from Dublin to Boston. Unfortunately, because my older daughter has to be back in college by the time the second leg returns and she's coming with us on this trip, I'm locked into the first leg. I have no idea why, but it doesn't help that the ship is already almost completely sold out. The current starting prices that I see for each category (not including port taxes and fees) are:

• Interior - $2,481
  • Ocean View - $2,909
  • Verandah - $4,149
  • Concierge - $4,649
  • Aqua - $5,199
  • Suites - $8,699 (for a Royal Suite, which is literally the only suite class not sold out)

Prior to this weekend, the interior cabins were starting at $1,950 -- a price they've held since early January when I first found and booked this cruise (not for that price, mind you; my travel agent gave me a really good price for two Cat 10 interiors that was appreciably lower).

Verandahs were originally about $1,720 per person but have been climbing rapidly; the starting price listed above isn't even for a Sweet 16 on Deck 6; that will run you more like $4,500 per person now. 🤑😱

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the current bookings are just placeholders made by people who may end up dropping the cruise at the last minute. So I'm keeping my eyes open for a pair of mid-ship balcony rooms or even a Family Verandah to open up at a really good rate when final payment gets close, or maybe just after.

Anyone else annoyed to see that the "all 4 perks" pricing will not include the premium package, like GoBest does? It's just classic now even if you buy all 4, unless you are in a suite.

23 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Anyone else annoyed to see that the "all 4 perks" pricing will not include the premium package, like GoBest does? It's just classic now even if you buy all 4, unless you are in a suite.

That was my understanding as well from the two documents posted. All 4 perks no longer include a Premium Package unless you're in a suite. That's where the biggest impact comes into play in my opinion. I like the water options along with the upgraded vodka and whiskeys, but the wine list is too hit or miss IMO to pay for the upgrade to premium. Our next cruise would run $216 for just the upgrade. If I came down to one or the other, I'd rather spend that money on specialty dining. 

30 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

The current price difference between 2 and 4 perks is generally $45 per day with the Premium upgrade included. Will be interesting to see if they keep it near $45 or drop it to $35 in keeping with only the Classic now. Any bets?

Probably inevitable that this will morph into "Sail Basic".  Shrink the cabins, shared bathrooms and showers "down the hall", all meals for a fee, no access to outside decks, one carry on bag only.

If I were onboard right now, I'd book a future cruise or two with a refundable deposit.  Then I'd be in a position to move it/them around without tying up a lot of deposit (assuming it's not a suite).

8 hours ago, Aralim said:

The first leg going from NJ to Dublin is running much more expensive than the return leg from Dublin to Boston. Unfortunately, because my older daughter has to be back in college by the time the second leg returns and she's coming with us on this trip, I'm locked into the first leg. I have no idea why, but it doesn't help that the ship is already almost completely sold out. The current starting prices that I see for each category (not including port taxes and fees) are:

• Interior - $2,481
  • Ocean View - $2,909
  • Verandah - $4,149
  • Concierge - $4,649
  • Aqua - $5,199
  • Suites - $8,699 (for a Royal Suite, which is literally the only suite class not sold out)

Prior to this weekend, the interior cabins were starting at $1,950 -- a price they've held since early January when I first found and booked this cruise (not for that price, mind you; my travel agent gave me a really good price for two Cat 10 interiors that was appreciably lower).

Verandahs were originally about $1,720 per person but have been climbing rapidly; the starting price listed above isn't even for a Sweet 16 on Deck 6; that will run you more like $4,500 per person now. 🤑😱

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the current bookings are just placeholders made by people who may end up dropping the cruise at the last minute. So I'm keeping my eyes open for a pair of mid-ship balcony rooms or even a Family Verandah to open up at a really good rate when final payment gets close, or maybe just after.

I booked this cruise whilst on the Reflection on March 6. I was given the new U.K. perks of classic drinks, gratuities and $200 obc and 2A cabin. Less than a week later, the price had increased by 20% and there were no 2A cabins. This price in U.K. has not changed since then.

Getting back on topic.....

This new "strategy" seems to be much more upfront about costs, and gives you choices that are plain and understandable.

It will be interesting to see what the future promotions look like. (Three perks???)

Looks like they are just adjusting the base offerings so that they can later offer promotions and sales :).

Every line goes through phases of raising prices and offering discounts of some sort.  Just the game we all play.

1 hour ago, bookitdanno said:

It will be interesting to see what the future promotions look like. (Three perks???)

Probably something like that; Sail Plus with three perks, but with non-refundable deposit required.

6 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

I booked this cruise whilst on the Reflection on March 6. I was given the new U.K. perks of classic drinks, gratuities and $200 obc and 2A cabin. Less than a week later, the price had increased by 20% and there were no 2A cabins. This price in U.K. has not changed since then.

If you got perks & obc on that cruise, you did well.  Can I ask what they charged for the 2A balcony back in March?

Edited by srfoxymom

I just hope this isn't a first step towards the MSC Experience concept where dining options, etc. are also tied into the "Experience" you paid for.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, hcat said:

We are looking at APEX  for a future cruise..maybe we should book today...bet fares will go up!

It’s funny because the Skies just went down in price on the Edge for next Jan according to my cruise planner ($150) and the SVs down $50. I’m watching closely to see what happens...

8 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

It’s funny because the Skies just went down in price on the Edge for next Jan according to my cruise planner ($150) and the SVs down $50. I’m watching closely to see what happens...

Did you get an adjustment or would you lose  perks ?

The SVs and AQ  seem to be sold out for our Nov cruise.. but I .haven't  re checked that recently.  Which itin  for EDGE did you book?

Edited by hcat

On 4/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, julia said:

Wow....  that's very good to see the beverage perk included in TA's & TP's, but I'm sure it will send the prices up.

It already did. :-))

On 4/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, mek said:

We will have to wait and see how the prices look. We book balconies but I'd rather have the lowest , no perks price -  not interested in a non refundable deposit. Inflated prices with perks just means travel insurance costs more, at least for us.

True, the higher the cruise fare the higher the insurance. But on the other hand, the higher the cruise fare the more OBC (or other perks) a Travel Agent can provide. 

20 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

It will be very interesting to see what happens to Transatlantic and Transpacific prices when this is applied later this week. 

Yes, indeed. In recent years, including 2019, Celebrity has discounted the price of purchasing beverage packages on Transatlantic/Transpacific cruises. For 2019 Spring TA/TPs, they were on sale at 50% off for about a 6 week period. At it's lowest price, you could book an inside cabin on Millie's TP for $399, along with a Premium Beverage package for around $500. So roughly $900 for 14 days in an inside cabin w/drink package. Not bad. 

So it will be interesting going forward if Celebrity drops the practice of discounting drink packages on these types of sailings when they'll have a new fare structure that now includes them. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Did you get an adjustment or would you lose  perks ?

The SVs and AQ  seem to be sold out for our Nov cruise.. but I .haven't  re checked that recently.  Which itin  for EDGE did you book?

The Jan 12 2020 cruise - I’m watching a few. The SV is actually down $100 over 2 days, I think. 🙂

I wonder if the new price structure w/perks will include the unlimited Internet package or be replaced with the less expensive new "surf" plan...…?  If so, upgrade to the unlimited similar to upgrading a Classic bev package to Premium? 

Edited by BEAV